Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • bt phone line expert?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My phone has started not ringing on incoming calls, but can answer them and make outgoing calls (when the phone only is connected to the line at the socket nearest the outside).

The “old” connector from the external cable has white and orange wires only connected (green and black are not connected) to white/blue and blue white which in turn go to a modern box with a cap etc in it and links to another point. I can’t see how any of this would have changed to create the issue.

Is it an easy fix or do I have to go to the hassle fo getting bt in?

jova54
    Free Member

Is it the phone?

Have you switched the ringer off?

Have you tried a replacment plug-in phone?

And before CFH asks; ‘Have you pinged it?’, not that that would do any good! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tried 3 phones, all the same.

WTF is ping?

jova54
    Free Member

Ask CFH re ping 😉 His standard response to any technologically challenging question is to ‘Ping it’.

Haven’t played with hard-wired phones for a while but if the cabling is undamaged it sounds like it could be the connection box. Don’t bother getting BT in; have a look in yellow pages or Thomsons to see it there’s a freelance telephone egineer, there are generally cheaper, local and quicker.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The reason you have the first point (NTE5) is so you can isloate your internal wiring. Take off the faceplate and plug in so you are connected direct to the external feed.

If it still doesn’t ring on any phone you try its a fault away from the premises and needs reporting
    Obviously if it does work its down to you and can either try and rewire or pay someone else to sort out.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Two wires coming in off the street is correct.

At the master socket, (to identify this you will see components on it’s pcb – capacitors/diodes etc) a third wire is connected. This wire connects to the same terminal to all exteensions throughout. This wire enables the extensions to ring.

There is a newer type of master socket with a small cover. This easily allows the user to disconnect all extensions so BT can check the line when you report a fault – saves them wasted call outs – they don’t take responsibility for extension cabling problems in the main.

There is a maximum number of extensions you can have on one line. I think it’s 4, can’t remember, but each handset has a REN value (ring equivalent number). Exceed the REN capability of your line and hansets may not ring.

Check the handset ringer is not switched to silent.
    Check there are no broken wires to any of your sockets.
    Check you haven’t exceeded the REN limit of your line.
    If you have broadband, make sure each socket has an ADSL line filter plugged in.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘bt phone line expert?’ is closed to new replies.