Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • BT Email Account – robbing bstewards
  • somafunk

Just had this email from BT Yahoo regarding my email account.

Important information about your
    BT email account (Premium Mail)

Hi,

From 6 May 2016, we’re changing the price of BT Premium Mail from £1.60 a month to £5 a month

WTF?, robbing pricks!.

I’m not paying that so what email accounts do you recommend, I’m not looking forward to changing as i’ve had the one email account and address (very simple to remember, just my first name then @btinternet.com) for at least 15 odd years so it’s going to be a hassle to change on every website that uses it and inform everyone else in my address book.

They had the cheek to offer me free email if i take out a broadband package with them.

If you don’t have BT broadband you could switch to BT and get our latest package with Unlimited broadband and unlimited UK weekend calls* for £5 a month, plus £17.99 monthly line rental, for 12 months.1 And your Premium Mail would be included at no extra cost.

You stick that up yer arse!, i’m with EE Broadband and pay for line rental upfront for the year which is £160 and my unlimited broadband costs me 75pence a month – i don’t have/use a house phone so free weekend calls are pointless, and the last time i was with BT the service was shite, and i was paying £33 a month as they kept upping the cost/adding useless shite to my bill

Cnunts!, i feel like putting in a few windows at the local exchange (obviously i won’t but you know what i mean – i may just have a dump on their doorstep)

Who should i sign onto for a decent email service?, preferably one with a decent spam filter as otherwise i’ll just lose the will to live and not bother checking it ever , I’m going to end up with a stupidly convoluted email address aren’t i?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

gmail?

scotroutes

gmail.

It’s pretty unusual for ISPs to allow non-customers to continue to use their email systems. Virgin Media give you 12 months to migrate (IIRC).

Does EE not offer an email address?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gmail, didn’t think people still used ISP accounts – for this reason.

jb72
    Free Member

gmail
    outlook.com

I advise people to use one of these … anything that is independent of your ISP. Then if EE become crap you can move and not worry about losing your email address.

scotroutes

Or get your own domain/domain name and set up your own email address.

Drac

You’ve been paying for email?

somafunk

I’ll have a look at Gmail, cheers. Can it automatically import all those in my bt yahoo account? – I don’t really use email for anything fancy. There are only 4 emails in my inbox and i don’t have anything saved in folders or suchlike, never use a calendar function as i don’t need one and i only have an inbox, and spam folder that i delete without bothering to check etc so i don’t need anything fancy

leffeboy

As above. Gmail.com or outlook.com. The benefit of gmail address is that you can often use it to log into sites without getting a new account in that site. Outlook.com is nice as you aren’t giving more of your info away to google

Drac

Either forward them or delete them.

somafunk

Yeah Drac i know – :oops:. When i left BT a few years ago they were going to close my btyahoo email account but i paid the £1.60 a month to keep it going as i couldn’t be arsed to find something else then go through the hassle of changing my email address on every website i use/visit etc.

mrsfry
    Free Member

No one pays for email! You one of those eccentric millionaires

Gmail or Outlook

somafunk

You one of those eccentric millionaires

Nah, just someone who has only had the one email address since 2000 odd (i was madasafish before that) and the hassle of changing it/swapping to another one was outweighed by the paltry £1.60 a month to keep my original and stick my fingers in my ears whilst shouting LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Or get your own domain/domain name and set up your own email address.

and pay to host your own email?

jimplops

When we left BT three years ago I kept my email, and it didn’t cost owt, and still use it.

cheers_drive

I pay less than that for my business Google for work account with a unique domain name

soundninjauk

Gmail or Outlook, whichever one you can get a sensible address at.

Relevant Oatmeal.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yes pretty sure Gmail can migrate your contacts over
    Can’t remember how but I did this a good few (8?) years ago

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I left BT 2 yrs ago and kept my talk21 account,just have to log in through yahoo these days.
    Pay for e-mail ? not the last 20 yrs i haven’t.
    Hotmail,g- mail or yahoo.

mrsfry
    Free Member
    sparksmcguff

Proton mail – Swiss hosted, nice and secure?
    All depends what you’re looking for, I host my own email as I like to know where my digital stuff is (currently Holland and Switzerland). It’s not that expensive and must be reasonably simple as I just about manage it.

daveh
    Free Member

I left virgin 10+ years ago and still have 2 virgin.net email addresses, even after they said they were going to close one of them down a couple of years back!

somafunk

Hmm, I’m confused, is yahoo mail owned by BT?, as i can log in to my email through the yahoo website?

yeah….prob a dumb question

EDIT : as an aside i do remember i had an old email address kenny@mac.com but that was back in 1999 when i bought my first G3 imac (and ditched the pc/windows way of life for ever – thank god!) i guess this email address will be lost for good in the ether?. And i don’t use iCloud on any of my devices, iPhone/ipad/macbook.

sparksmcguff

Yahoo provides email services to BT – I think. However, your account is likely dependent on BT and isn’t a straight up Yahoo account

mrsfry
    Free Member

BT just rented from Yahoo.

Klunk
    Free Member

virgin removed my old ntl email 6 months after i stop using there service though I can still use the huge 50megs of free web space 3 years on 🙂

mattyfez

I just use Hotmail (now Outlook) and Gmail.. Although I think I’ve still got a old AOL one from way back when!

CraigW
    Free Member

Fastmail is good. Costs $10 per year for a basic account.

ffej
    Free Member

Buy domain name and forward your mail to gmail – then you’ll be free to move it around between email providers without having to change your address.
    You’d be stuck with the cost of a domain name, but as co.uk address is about 7 quid a year it’s pretty cheap!

ffej

john_drummer
    Free Member

You do realise your “can’t be arsed to do anything” has cost you about £300, don’t you?

scotroutes

Only if it’s 15 years since he left BT…..

somafunk

How d’ya work that out?, I was only paying £1.60 a month for my btinternet email since I switched to EE broadband two years ago, I make that out to be £19.20 a year

somafunk

Might just switch on iCloud (yeah i’m a paranoid luddite) as i can then setup an iCloud email address.

Any reason not to?.

bellys
    Free Member

Just got the same Email off bt..time to change from them, we have been using the same email for last 20years so it’s time to move every thing.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘BT Email Account – robbing bstewards’ is closed to new replies.