• This topic has 44 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by csb.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Bristol – keep 20mph limits petition
  • kermit
    Free Member

Just out of interest, what’s it like to cycle in the 20mph areas?

I’ve not experienced then in Bristol, but the one in Richmond Park really bugs me!

I generally ride at 18-20mph on the flat, so in theory you’d think I’d like it, as I should be comfortably moving at the same speed as the cars, neither overtaking nor needing to be overtaken.

Unfortunately, that fails to take into account the complete cranial implosion this triggers in the average motorist!

On the one hand, they can see that I’m riding near enough at the speed limit, but on the other hand, I’m a cyclist, so they HAVE to overtake me, coz it’s the LAW!

If there was a thirty limit, they’d just overtake and we’d both be on their way, but as it’s a twenty, the dopey wombats edge past me at about a mile or two per hour faster than me, knuckles white on the wheel, looking straight ahead, desperate to avoid eye contact!

noltae
    Free Member

Faux Liberal Track World ..

csb

The roads where I am in Bristol are a mix of narrow residential roads with cars parked both sides and no room for overtaking, primary routes that have bus lanes, and a few roads that are wider, less congested, with cars parked down the side have have pinch points in places. these sound like the ones you mean, where motorists razz along and have to brake heavily if a cyclist is there (or just squeeze them out). I feel safer on these now, because if feel entitled to be on them – the ‘rights’ have been reversed sort of.

simonhbacon
    Free Member

I find the 20 limits make the roads a far more pleasant place to be a cyclist or pedestrian.
    The larger anti 20 petition has largely be sign by non residents who commute in, and don’t get a vote in these matters.

csb

still a couple of days to sign this to show the mayor you care.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bristol – keep 20mph limits petition’ is closed to new replies.