Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog
  • Taff
    Free Member

Any one done this before? Is it worth a go? Trying to find the distance of each lap – any idea?

bigsi
    Free Member

Yep done the last 2 years & its great fun, a real riders course with a friendly relaxed atmosphere.

Loads of singletrack (I’d say about 65-70% of the lap) most of it descending but there is a surprising amount of climbing for an 8-9 mile lap.

Just got my entry in for the 12 hour solo. 😛

Both solo & pairs catagories sell out really quickly so don’t delay if your intending on doing it 😉

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Great race, just mind the Stanmer Tree of Doom.

c_klein87

really great race, laps around 8 miles maybe shorter, i lapped in around 40/42mins and came 5th so around 8miles i’d say, no major hills on the course other than the grassy climb out the arena and a few short steepish climbs, fast and flowing course with not as much traffic as say bikefest etc, i think i’ll be back again next year 😀 oh and isn’t it 6hrs?

Taff
    Free Member

I’m quite tempted. Brother in law is backing out of MM solo so would like something that I don’t mind going to on my own. Please tell about the tree of doom?

bigsi
    Free Member

If you guys are thinking of entering then be quick as its live on XC Racer now!!

Solo & Pairs always sell out although they have increased the number of places slightly this year 😛

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Just confirming a bike then I’ll be entering Retro pairs shortly!

I love this race 🙂

bigdawg
    Free Member

hmm rero is for the third year running restricted to pre 95 bikes… thats disapointing…

Taff
    Free Member

What was in last years race pack? Energy stuff?

Looking at the podium places for last years solos looks like I’ll be going for the enjoyment!!

Blackhound

Just entered vets solo 6 hour. Won’t be troubling the judges.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Actually one of the best organised, best courses, funnest atmospheres I’ve been at. beer on the finish line. after party on brighton beach. lots of freebies. A proper grass roots event, unlike many of the for-profit enduros going on these days.

if it rains, it makes Eastnor look easy.

Last year was bone dry and sooo much fun. Some great riding around Stanmer.

So yes. It’s ace. Get entered 🙂

muddy@rseguy

the 2011 race was probably the most chilled out and fun race that I’ve ever done with the huge added bonus of some super dry dusty trails and a huge amount of tight twisty fast singletrack. The whole event has a realy nice, friendly, grassroots racing vibe.

If its like that in 2012 it’ll be awesome, if its like the quagmire 2010 race it’ll be, er, interesting…

Go on, enter, you know it makes sense 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

Booked in and looking forward to it!

Taff
    Free Member

Got to pop into town. Will book it on my return if there are still spaces

Taff
    Free Member

I’ve just booked myself and my brother in law in… mwahahahaha 😈

So what are these goodie bags? Looks like the mugs and t-shirts need to be bought separately so what else is there for the bag?!

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m entered solo, fantastic event, a real trail riders course and super-chilled atmosphere.

Looking forward to re-acquainting myself with the Tree Of Doom … Tee Hee 😉

Taff
    Free Member

what’s the tree of doom?!

bigsi
    Free Member

There are several!

Taff
    Free Member

What do you do in terms of liquids? A camelbak and bottle will only give me about 4hours worth so was wondering if there’s an abiliity to leave bottles somewhere safe trackside so I can discard/pickup as required?

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Taff – There’s always plenty of trackside just after the start/finish area (and a good amount just before it, more than most races have in total!) for self pitting stashes and for pit crew to both hand bottles and heckle en-masse, probably while all swinging cats, so I wouldn’t worry about space if I were you 😉

robdeanhove
    Free Member

bigsi – 12hr solo???!!!

You mean 6hr solo surely, it being a 6hr event and all?

bigsi
    Free Member

Yep bottles track side & you’ll be fine as don’t remember there being a solo pits. Could be wrong though :/

bigsi
    Free Member

Thought I’d start early Rob to give myself a chance of getting enough laps in to trouble the top 10 😀

Taff
    Free Member

Cheers Rob & Si, will be self pitting so want to have a box of stuff in a convenient place. Quite excited (for someone whose probably going to be crap) if you can’t tell! As well as Josh’s video was reading your blogs… you make it sound a lot better than your average race

ade
    Free Member

It’s one of the classic XC races of the year! I’ve done the last three and will definitely be doing it in 2012. I’m just deciding whether I’m going to be up for a pair or a team before putting my entry in.

Here’s the GPS trace from my Onederdog lap last year (one lap time trial, enter on the day, free tea and cake afterwards):
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/109214865

From memory the goodie bag had a couple of energy bars and a gel in it, a few lezyne patch kits, a bunch of brochures and a voucher for the evening drinks on Brighton sea front.

Taff
    Free Member

7 miles makes the 40-50minute laps more feasible for me. Was worried it was more like 8-10m which I would be about an hour so.

The onederdog looks pretty awesome too.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Retro pairs entered 🙂

Pauly

I’ll be there this year. Went last year to cheer on some friends who were racing.

See you then!

timbur
    Free Member

Solo’s get a trackside parking space/area so you can sort out any faff’s easily and get extra water/food/spares.

Tim (carpark bitch for the last 2 years)

wwaswas

Every year it’s been on a different weekend and every one has clashed with our family holiday 🙁

timbur
    Free Member

They don’t want your sort there Luke!

wwaswas

My sort being rubbish 😉

They dont call me ‘Mobile Chicane’ for nothing, Tim!

timbur
    Free Member

Yeap, they only let me in if I promise to organise the parking and DON’T ride a bike all day. I know my place.

Never ridden the course, never been for beers afterwards but will be there again next year if family allow and they want me.

Ace event, great atmosphere and cracking course.

Taff
    Free Member

Going to go up there at some point over the next few weeks/months to see what the course is like I reckon.

timbur
    Free Member

Wet and slippy at the moment.

wwaswas

personally, I’d avoid Stanmer ’til it dries out a bit or freezes – there’s a lot of erosion of even some of the more robust bits of singletrack up there now.

Taff
    Free Member

Not going to do it in this weather. Don’t really fancy the hour and a bit drive just to ride in the clag. Will wait for the weather to improve and the ground to dry out or as you say if it freezes although doubt we will have a frostd ecent enough to sort this clag out!!

jbwilliamz
    Free Member

I’m in for the 6hr solo…although whoever posted the 12hr gumpff has made me double check the event.

Trying to tag a group of mates in to enter a team with the promise of beers in Brighton.

Wouldn’t mind seeing what’s in store with the course if anyone fancies it one day?

wwaswas

I road through Stanmer at the weekend but stayed off most of the singletrack it’s dried out a bit since I last rode it but I’d wait for a bit before planning anything.

look at the brightonmtb.org website – they do regular weekend rides there.

I did find this across the path at one point but otherwise recent storms seem to have just brought smaller stuff down.

bigsi
    Free Member

I don’t mind doing a lap with anyone of last years course once it dries out a bit. I know the area well & it’ll be good training for this year, btw I’ll not be going fast so you might have to wait for me 😳

It’s always a pleasure riding Stanmer in the dry & after we’ve ridden the course i can show you some of the better trails 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog’ is closed to new replies.