Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brecon Road Routes
  • Ioneonic

Got 3 full days staying in Crickhowell coming up, planning for mixed ability group so aiming for 60-70 mile routes with lunch stop including the highlights. Anyone got any good routes, lunch stop recommendations gratefully received. OK to have an up-and-back hill somewhere towards the end so some can miss it out.
    I was thinking 1 loop clockwise to include Llangynidr and Gospel Pass, and perhaps drive out to somewhere west to do a loop including Devil’s Elbow, Black Mountain, perhaps Rhigos, 3rd to include the Tumble (maybe twice from different approaches??) but I am aware where I live the climbs listed in the books are not necessarily the most enjoyable so really looking for any local knowledge.

houndlegs
    Free Member

If its the weekend and the Heads of the Valleys road is closed cos of the roadworks, I’d personally avoid the Tumble, lots of people using it as diversion.

Ioneonic

It’s in 3 weeks time. Thanks for the heads up

tonyg2003

Yep avoid tumble (in-laws live at the bottom) from Govilon but head up the back way from Llanfoist – very nice (steep!) quiet climb.

Also I’d up up Golden valley to Gospel pass – much quieter for cars.

timber

Through the village I live in it would mostly seem.

I don’t road ride, but would guess their rides involve the valley side opposite the A40 and Llangorse or the commons around Erwood/Painscastle.

Talgarth Mill seems a popular stop. Lots of good stops in Hay, Oscars for savoury, Shepherds for ice-cream. River Cafe in Glasbury. Talybont cafe has some good cake, as does Bookish in Crickhowell itself.

welshfarmer

From Crick, take the back road to Llangynydir, then over the Usk, up hill on A40 to Bwlch (only main road on circuit and less than a mile), then take Llangorse road to Talgarth and then follow back road to Hay. From there climb to Gospel Pass (highest surfaced road in Wales and enjoy the fine descent to Llanthony. Stop and take in the Priory ruins and have a pint in the cellar bar. Continue down the valley (past end of my drive :-)) and turn right at Brynarw and follow lanes back to Crickhowell via Fforest Coal Pit. That should do you for a nice day out.

Ioneonic

Thanks that is great I’ll check that out

Ioneonic

Thanks for all the advice guys..thought I’d update in case anyone checks the thread.
    We did 3 routes..all fantastic including welshfarmer’s but the back lanes ride (1st one) was the star. Olchon Valley is sensational. Climb to the church at Patricio is a bit cheeky but well worth it.I’ll definitely do this ride again.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24866698
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24764606
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/24728781

welshfarmer

That climb past Patricio Church is a killer. And a brake killer on the way down too 🙂 The Olchon is a nice ride on a nice day. All part of our regular MTB routes around here though we generally use it to transit between climbs and descents from the ridges above 🙂

So you came past my place twice. Should have called in for a cuppa

neilc1881
    Free Member

Loop up to Builth on the Upper Chapel road from Brecon. Go over the Wye bridge at Erwood (Erwood Station would make a nice stop) and up the very steep climb to Painscastle.

Over Blaenyglyn from Talybont, Brecon Mtn Railway and over Llangattock escarpment/Llangynidr mountain back down to Crick. Good route for a short day.

mooman
    Free Member

Climb from Llangattock to Brynmawr is a good un!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Brecon Road Routes’ is closed to new replies.