Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Breadmakers then?
  • geoffj

Our Andrew James offering has just given up the ghost after about 4 years.
    I fancy a change – what have you got / do you recommend?

Ta

parkesie
    Free Member

Panasonic always seem to be highly rated. Ours works a treat.

pnik

Our panasonic is pretty good, although the more exoensive model has a hopper that can drop extra ingredients in later, seeds etc. At least it did 2 or 3 years ago when we got it.
    It has been a bit underutilised lately though.

convert

Panasonic used to be the default recommendation. Ours is the previous generation and gets used a couple of times most weeks, always making good bread after 8 or 9 years.

My pet hate with ours is that for some reason the programmers elected to prevent you using the delay programme for dough recipes. I use it for pizza dough and would love to walk in from work to dough ready to use but alas its not an option.

cloudnine
    Free Member

+1 Panasonic

maccruiskeen

I’m a fan of the panasonics also – having had a kenwood previously. The panasonic has better programmes with more reliable results but importantly is much quieter. Hardly makes a noise in operation whereas the Kenwood motor / gears really whine.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Panasonic

whitestone
    Free Member

Ours is the Panasonic, previous generation as per convert, gets used two or three times a week for bread, occasionally for making pizza dough. Been going great for at least seven years, might be more.

Just reminded me to put a mix in for tomorrow morning. Nice having the smell of fresh bread to wake up to. 😆

Northwind

Panasonic here too. Had a Kenwood,it was a little bit shit, not terrible, just a little bit. But mostly it just wasn’t up for regular use- it was obviously designed around irregular “Suppose I’ll make some bread” or for the people who use it a few times when it’s new then forget about it, so it just kind of fell apart. The Panasonic’s totally unfussed.

geoffj

Well that was pretty unanimous – Panasonic it is then!

cyclingmev
    Free Member

Aye… Recommend a Panasonic too, though there’s nowt like making bread with your own hands, getting your hands (and cats) clarted up with dough and getting rid of pent up frustrations kneading (so to speak……)

spooky_b329

Another one with a Panasonic. Used it two or three times a week for the first year or so, then realised I was eating about 2/3’rds of a loaf a day (I blame the lovely thick slices). So now its put away and we just use it occasionally.

Superficial
    Free Member

If anyone wants an old but working one for free, I have one in my garage gathering dust. I’m in Sheffield. Email me.

cannyj
    Free Member

Geoff,

If you want a Panasonic, I have one that is no longer used. Few years old but works great. Have gone over to handbaking/ sourdough, etc.. all very nerdy!

Drop me a line if interested.

CannyJ

mrjmt
    Free Member

We have a cuisinart one that lets you delay the dough programme.

Dont use it any more since we got a stand mixer, doesnt take much longer to put the ingredients in the mixer on an evening to kneed, slow prove over night, quick knock back and shape in the morning, prove while I’m at work, then bake when I get in from work. Far better results than the bread maker ever got, and only around 10 mins more work.

Albanach
    Free Member

Another Panasonic SD – 255 user here had it for around 9 years and overall very very happy with it.
    Have any other users replaced the kneading blade? Ours is getting stuck either in the loaf or stuck to the spindle causing the bread to tear when removing?

pealy
    Free Member

Only ever had a cheap one but a model which lifts the paddle out before baking would make a big difference for me. Definitely look for that.

simon_g

Panasonic used to be the default recommendation. Ours is the previous generation and gets used a couple of times most weeks, always making good bread after 8 or 9 years.

My pet hate with ours is that for some reason the programmers elected to prevent you using the delay programme for dough recipes. I use it for pizza dough and would love to walk in from work to dough ready to use but alas its not an option.

It is an option on the current Panasonics (only for pizza dough, not the others), we can set for 12 hours or so before we want it.

Love ours, had a cheap Morphy Richards one before that was ok but the paddle was a stupid design – I think intended to be reversed just before baking so it would hinge flat. Except it sat too high so was always inside the crust and need cutting out afterwards. Panasonic one just slips out and stays in the tin every time.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve had a Morphy Richards for the past six years or so. Was a model that was the Which? best buy and no longer made, but works fine once you discard the original recipe book. I haven’t used a Panasonic, so I have no idea how it compares, but I remember the Panasonic ones I looked at being very expensive, which was one of the reasons I went for the Morphy Richards.

phiiiiil

We have a panasonic, however I much preferred the kenwood we had before that (unfortunately the tin started leaking around the paddle, and you can’t get replacements).

The panasonic is great, but it takes 4 hours to make a loaf, the kenwood only took 3 and a bit. Add in the time it took to cool before you can make sandwiches and I’d be making my lunch for the next day at gone 11pm, whereas with the kenwood I’d be in bed by then. It didn’t really fit in our normal evening.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The panasonic is great, but it takes 4 hours to make a loaf, the kenwood only took 3 and a bit.

4 hours is the basic programme, however the Panasonic has “rapid” options as well. From the manual I think the “basic rapid” is about 2 hours, although I’ve never tried it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Breadmakers then?’ is closed to new replies.