Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Brand new bike, chip in the lacquer of carbon frame, to buy or not to buy?
  • Topov
    Free Member

Hello, just been to pick my new Trek Madone 3.1 up from the LBS, only to find that there is a chip in the lacquer, See photo. At first obviously I was a tad angry and disappointed. The LBS have assured me that it’s nothing structural and that Trek warranty is excellent should it (though it probably never will) develop into something nasty.
    Aesthetically it’s not bothering me at all, I’d happily ride off on it tomorrow if I knew for certain that it was fine. It’s just that it’s my first carbon frame. I have got the bike for a good price and they have offered me a further £50 off. I said I’d call them back Monday when I’ve had time to think about it, I may get a refund, though I am still tempted to get it.

Topov
    Free Member

The pic makes it look much worse than it is!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bit of clear nail polish…buff up with autosol,bosh £50 worth of beer and curry.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’d be wanting more than £50 off for that.

If you were buying it 2nd hand, what would you do?

Dave

oldgit
    Free Member

My old PX came with a chip like that. Dabbed a bit of the boys Airfix varnish on it and got on.

compositepro
    Free Member

Treks carbon is good laquer chip wont affect it

joemacca51
    Free Member

I would want another one.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d take the £50.

petrieboy

Put a similar chip in my stumpy s-works whilst building it. 4 years later and all is well.

Superficial
    Free Member

If it’s still got a warranty (Lifetime on Trek frames, no?) then I wouldn’t worry about it too much. But to save £50 I’d ask the shop to order in a new one and put your mind at rest.

Chainline
    Free Member

What the guys said, nail polish, buff, bang. No problems at all, £50 well earned in my view. Deffo not an issue from a structural perspective.

Carbon is much tougher than you think, otherwise they wouldn’t make aeroplane wings, and indeed aeroplanes almost, these days.

I it was that delicate pros wouldn’t get back on after a crash on an alpine descent if they were worried about it failing.

It’s fine, get it , £50 cheaper, enjoy it..

pinches
    Free Member

Njee20 +1

crikey
    Free Member

+1 for getting a few quid off. But I’d just get it and ride it. It’s a tool, its designed to do a job, not be looked at under a microscope.

br
    Free Member

If you aren’t happy with it, buy a different one – £50 shouldn’t ‘sway’ it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Itll match the one itll get in the top tube when the wife drops your mtb on it getting something she wants out the garage or shed 🙂

bonj
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t have it. Get them to get you a new one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Will they give you the same deal on another one?

Trek should have been alerted and coughing up for the chip. I’d probably argue for a bit more if they will offer a replacement.

neilb67
    Free Member

When I picked up my Trek the shop informed me of a small mark on the rear chainstay, to be honest I would never have seen it if I wasnt told. LBS contacted Trek and they gave me £150 off anything in the Bonty range. I would be asking for a bit more…

Topov
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. The LBS said they will speak to Trek Monday, so I’ll know more then.

yossarian
    Free Member

New bike is a new bike. Personally I’d not accept that.

Topov
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. The problem is, I got it at a good price because it’s an 2011 model, and there are none left in a 58cm at this price. If they can do another £100 off I may consider it.

I’ve looked at lots of bikes and had whittled it down to the Trek and an Orbea Onix; I went for the Trek mainly because it’s a tried and trusted frame with great race heritage. I actually preferred the look of the Orbea, but was hesitant as I didn’t know much about the brand. Further reading suggests that the Orbea is a great frame and much R&D has gone into it, it also has a lifetime warranty. The Orbea has a slightly more aggressive geometry.

Topov
    Free Member

Nice one, the LBS have just called, they are going to swap it for a 2012 frame, no extra cost. I actually prefer the 2012 colour scheme too, result!

Downside is, none available till 20nd Feb…

wwaswas

🙂

2 weeks is worth the wait.

o96192083
    Free Member

cracking deal

Topov
    Free Member

Agreed, hats off to Trek and my LBS, glad I didn’t just take the £50 on Saturday!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wonder if Trek col has been lurking on this thread over the weekend 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Result.

Shame it’s a 58, if it were a 56 I’d be checking Trek’s ‘scratch and dent’ list for a bargain 🙂

iainc

i got a same sized chip on my brand new carbon Giant Defy 5 mins into it’s virgin ride last week……on the upper side of the BB. I dabbed some nail varnish on it – it’s gonna happen I guess.

weeksy

My new Bionicon came with a chip in the top-tube paint.

However it was £1100 off RRP and we discussed it in advance of me paying 🙂

Bream
    Free Member

Great result then, I’d have taken the £50 off and lost out on the new frame!!!! Just goes to show…

Topov
    Free Member

Aye, I must be learning patience in my old age!!

obese
    Free Member

If a chip in the lacquer affected the integrity of carbon fibre it would be a useless material to build bikes out of as lets be fair a chip like that could happen on the very first ride. just use it as an excuse to get more money off

iainc

lets be fair a chip like that could happen on the very first ride

indeed :

i got a same sized chip on my brand new carbon Giant Defy 5 mins into it’s virgin ride last week……on the upper side of the BB. I dabbed some nail varnish on it – it’s gonna happen I guess.

right enough, I’d have been a bit annoyed if it was like that before i rode it !

Topov
    Free Member

right enough, I’d have been a bit annoyed if it was like that before i rode it !

Exactly, inevitably it’s gonna get chipped eventually, but it ruins that ‘new bike experience’, and it’s right on the headtube and you can see it every time you look down. Bollocks to that.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Brand new bike, chip in the lacquer of carbon frame, to buy or not to buy?’ is closed to new replies.