Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Brakes – what's best in 2017?
  • gweb
    Free Member

Looking to pick up a new set of brakes, and am interested to hear what the general consensus is on the best brakes available in 2017.

I have been running XT M785s for quite a while, and have been very happy with them, but have recently moved them to another bike and feel the urge for something new. Also wouldn’t mind a little bit more power on long descents (currently using 203mm front & 180mm rear rotors).

I have heard firsthand accounts from a few people that say the M8000s don’t have as consistent a feel to them.

Have generally only heard good things about the Guide RSC.

Can’t help but feel Zee and Saint are overdue for a refresh, and know I’ll kick myself if the new ones come out just after I splash out on the current model. 😆

The new Code RSC sound pretty interesting.

Haven’t run Hopes for 10 years+ so don’t really know how they stack up, haven’t ruled them out but don’t want to add too much weight.

Cheers for any advice / suggestions.

submarined
    Free Member

Loved my Guide RSCs, really impressed by them. Only got rid due to the clearance with my particular bar/stem/top tube combo.
    I’ve replaced them with Hope V4s, and on the 30m I’ve done with them, I’m not impressed. Will report back when I’ve got both working and needed in 😀

honourablegeorge

Hope e4 were lighter than most Shimano last time I looked and they’re bloody excellent

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To go against the usual STW trends, my old guides were better than my M8000, And the M8000 are better than the old XT.

nickc

I’ve just fitted some saints (replaced Hope X2) I’m writing this in braille as my eyeballs have fallen out.

They are bloody impressive (refresh or not)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have some guide r brakes for sale with 200mm rotors

Poopscoop

There is a lot to love about Guides.

The newer ones with the “bleeding edge” values are meant to be easier to bleed, as the name infers.

That’s the only negative I can say about my second-hand Guide R’s… Bleeding can be a bit… Frustrating.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My mates in the industry reckon Guide REs, the ones for electric bikes, are the absolute nuts, better than more expensive brakes. I’m getting a set for my full suspension bike.

They aren’t kind about Hope, Formula or Magura.

gweb
    Free Member

Am I correct in saying Guide RE’s are just Guide R levers with Code calipers?

Leaning towards a set of the Code RSCs at the moment. Although they are fairly new I’m hoping that SRAM have worked out any issues on the Guides over the past few years.

Have to say the price on the Guide RE is tempting though!

Poopscoop

gweb – Member
    Am I correct in saying Guide RE’s are just Guide R levers with Code calipers?

I think that’s right mate.

joebristol

I’ve read good reviews on the guide re. I would have liked a set but they weren’t an option on my new bike. Got guide r instead with 200/180 rotors and they’re very powerful, but without being grabby. In an ideal world perhaps the guide rs / rsc have a better lever with a bearing pivot and swing link. I had the original guide rs and they were great too – but definitely not as strong as the new Guide with the bleeding edge calliper.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are the Guide REs supposed to be better at maintaining their bite point, do we know?

That’s the one moan I have about my Guide RS, levers pulling to bar way sooner than they should.

submarined
    Free Member

Bite point on my RSCs was consistently good.
    I never had any trouble with mine, 100% reliable. And as a nice bonus, they run the pads quite a way from the disc, so are quite accomodating of small kicks in the disc.

I’d say definitely go for a better lever than the R. You can definitely feel the difference the swing link thing makes, it’s a much nicer feel. Also, the Guide R lever is pressed rather than cast, and in my limited experience seem to be really weak as a result. I had a small stack and bent one of the levers by about 45 degrees on a demo bike I borrowed! Shop weren’t surprised, just bent it back!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Agreed, guide r lever doesn’t feel like a quality item.

oink1
    Free Member

Very happy with my RSC’s

gweb
    Free Member

Sounds like there is an unusual level of consensus!

SRAM seems to be the way to go, RSC is probably worth the extra cash over the cheaper levers and from the reviews the Code calliper seems to give a noticeable power increase.

I was keen on the Code RSCs anyway so I think that’s the way forward, and as I use SRAM shifters and dropper the cleaner cockpit is a bonus.

jim25

To through a virtual spanner on the works, I’ve just fitted a set of hope tech e4’s on, replacing a set of 3 year old saints.

Hopes are amazing, easily the same if not more stopping power than the saints(when there were actually working that is) with so much lever control.
    Very very happy with the hopes.

The saints were a nightmare, continously leaking fluid and contaminated the pads with no spare parts available to service them

dantsw13

Since the new shape Shimano levers came out 5? Years ago, I’ve only ever run Deore brakes, both at home & in the Alps. Never skipped a beat and plenty of power. Very simple to bleed too, and no nasty DOT fluid.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Zees don’t need a refresh because they’re just damn amazing brakes as they are for the price. Great stopping power, easy to bleed.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Very happy with my Hopes.

Being able to adjust bite & reach is great as is the modulation.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d say definitely go for a better lever than the R.

And it seems the Guide RE comes with the Guide R lever, which is disappointing.

Zees are probably my favourites still. The bite point can be temperamental – though unlike the Guides they do “pump up” back to where they should be.

gweb
    Free Member

Anyone else got experience with the Hope E4s? Particular interested if they are comparable to the Code’s in power, i.e. a step up from XTs or Guides?

I live in Canada so parts are a little harder to get than SRAM, but I have fond memories of the Hopes I used to run 10-15 years ago.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I have been running XT M785s for quite a while, and have been very happy with them….wouldn’t mind a little bit more power on long descents (currently using 203mm front & 180mm rear rotors).

Can’t help but feel Zee and Saint are overdue for a refres

Improvements in disc brakes are pretty marginal with new models now and, unless there’s a specific problem the new version addresses (eg bleeding on the Guides) then you’re as likely to introduce a new issues. Not new model brakes likely means cheaper and easier to get spareas as well.

If you’re already running 200/180 XT and want more power look at Zee or Saint or Hope V2. Guides and Hope E4 have a very different, progressive, feel to XT. What’s the bike and riding? Not enough power isn’t a common complaint for your current combo.

tomhoward

Like my Guide RSCs (conversely, on my ebike, as the REs hadn’t been invented then)

Love my Guide ultimates 8)

zippykona

Does the guide rs lever have a bite point adjuster?
    I’ve pulled out a tiny rubber bung inside the lever and there is a torx in there.
    Bled them on my month old bike last night and they are a lot better now.

dantsw13

To add to my above post, bought new Deores for my Alps trip last week to replace some ancient XT old style brakes. £33 per end from CRC. 203/180 rotors and hardly any wear on my Kevlar pads in 3 days hard & fast riding (1 wet).

sillysilly
    Free Member

Swapped my Guide RS for Hope E4 – both getting a good test in the UK / Alps.

Guides feel great and are powerful with more modulation than the Shimano (less than Hope), but are near disposable and the levers don’t like the heat.

The Hope E4’s are bombprooof, nice on the fly adjustment with loads of modulation but lack power. That said the modulation and lack of power on the front probably saved me from going over the bars in the Alps on at least one occasion.

chiefgrooveguru

I really rate the Hope E4 with Tech 3 lever. Lots of power, lots of modulation, keeps working at its best for an age and then is easy to bleed and service. The power comes on very differently to the 2 pot Shimano brakes – much more subtle so better control when it’s greasy but it keeps stopping harder and harder as you squeeze more strongly.

I also have the previous M4 with Race Evo levers. The power and feel seems near identical but the Tech 3 lever has tool free reach adjust which I prefer and a bite point control that works really well, allowing you to easily get the set up just how you want. I think my M4s are now six years old and the E4s over three years old, both well used over that time.

Not cheap to buy but as brakes aren’t something that have changed significantly in recent years they seem a very cost effective purchase as they just go on working as well as they did when new.

One other thing – is it possible for a brake running on mineral oil to have as much feedback at the lever as a brake using brake fluid? I wonder if the higher viscosity of the oil causes greater losses in the system and thus hides some of the feel coming back from the pads?

chiefgrooveguru

The Hope E4’s are bombprooof, nice on the fly adjustment with loads of modulation but lack power.

Do they lack power or are you just not squeezing hard enough? Serious question!

sillysilly
    Free Member

Haha, no, plenty of power. All brakes feel powerful in the bike shop test car park / normal test trails. Very different hitting sustained downhill / technical sections in the Alps. Love the Hope E4 for my UK riding / rear, just seems to struggle on the front overseas. To be fair I don’t think it was designed for that.

gweb
    Free Member

If you’re already running 200/180 XT and want more power look at Zee or Saint or Hope V2. Guides and Hope E4 have a very different, progressive, feel to XT. What’s the bike and riding? Not enough power isn’t a common complaint for your current combo.

Currently riding a Chromag Rootdown with 160mm Lyric, and I live in Squamish so the riding is a good mix of everything 😀

That said I think that perhaps what I am looking for is not so much necessarily out and out power, but a more consistent feel especially at the bottom of long descents, where I feel the XTs sometimes struggle a little.

wallop

I’m on XTs, always have been, but this week in the Alps I struggled with holding on through the long descents. Sore hands every day!

russyh
    Free Member

Got to be honest I am massively suprised with how good my RSC’s. Brilliant brakes…having run m8000’s recently I found them pretty poor to be honest very binary compared to the guides. As for hope I had the latest version of the E4’s and found them a bit meh, far from fit and forget. I wouldn’t waste the money on them again I don’t think

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Hope E4’s here. I’m a heavy chap riding a heavy bike. Single finger operation is more than adequate to summon up as much power as you could ever need.

porter_jamie

On way back from les arc now. Group of 9.
    I have xts and was struggling with power on the very steepest bits. I tried metal and resin. Metal marginally better. 2 other mates on xt had no worries but are lighter than me and one uses 2 fingers.
    One of the girls uses xt but she is 55kg the other girl has guide rs and no bother but down to metal on rr pads by day 6 from literally new brakes.
    One guy on m615 no bothers he’s 95kg and a dh racer so doesn’t drag them. The rest on guide rs and they all liked them.
    I’m seriously considering those guide re’s

twonks

I’ve got a bit of recent experience with brakes so thought I’d chip in too.

My progress through brakes is as follows;

On various bikes but mainly full suspension XC and later trail centre with peaks / moors riding etc.

Always 180f, 160r or whatever was closest for the given brakes.

Hope C2, when disk brakes where largely unheard of on bikes 🙂
    Avid CR (I think)
    Formula Oro K24
    Shimano M785
    Shimano Zee
    Hope E4 + tech 3 levers (Fitted two weeks ago)

The Avids and Oros I’ll dissmiss as they are probably miles away from anything nowadays.

When I first got the M785s they were awesome. Fit and forget. Until they didn’t work properly thanks to the seals going.

Then I read around much like the OP is doing now and fell for more power with better modulation (and a great price) Zees.

Sure enough they felt great and had oodles of power. Modulation is tricky as it sort of feels like you have a lot of control but I now think it is just differing levels of violence. 😆

Basically they are tremendously powerful brakes but don’t really give much in the way of ‘feel’ for the power they can produce.

This has led me to brake too hard on occasion and screw corners up.

On a downhill or maybe enduro type ride that is balls out then I think they’d be awesome. No suprise I guess as that is what they are designed for, but for a general ride and pootle with the odd bit of excitement I think they are simply too much brake.

I’ve recently started to play with n+1 that will be a bit more aggresive than the normal bike so have taken the oppertunity to put the Zees onto that and treat myself to some E4 with Tech 3 levers and floating disks.

Initially they took a lot of faffing. Cutting hose, bleeding, centralising, getting pistons to work together. This took a day before I took them on a local slow ride to bed the pads in.

Now they are bedded I am amazed with the power and feel of the brakes.

I can feather them or really squeeze for a stopping experiance similar to the Zees. The difference being the feel. Levers are very solid and I actually feel like I am pulling on a brake – much like you can feel the braking force through pedal input in a car.

Shimano are generally lacking in feel but work, and in the Zees case work very well.

For me this is the biggest difference, as the good ol advert says, power is nothing without control.

porter_jamie

Any more comments or experiences?
    At home now, some more data for people.
    Bike is aeris 1.5 with 160 pikes with tf coil spring and fox coil rr in 150 setting. I weigh 85kg and I run 203 front and 180 rr. Bontrager dual ply frt tyre in g5 compound it’s insanely sticky and dhr 3c rr. I found I wish I had a little more power on the front I was pulling it as hard as I could with one finger and that front tyre was still gripping.
    Its gonna be zee or the guide RE.
    Can anyone explain about the bleeding edge business. Will the RE have this I don’t enjoy bleeding issues. I run a reverb and gx gears so a sram brake set would tidy up the bars.

gweb
    Free Member

Can anyone explain about the bleeding edge business. Will the RE have this I don’t enjoy bleeding issues.

From what I can see online the RE does not come with the bleeding edge adapter. Not sure how much easier it makes it, I never had too much trouble with the old avid syringe bleed method… although I had lots of practice as they seemed to need bleeding all the bloody time!

For me, I think (possibly) easier bleeding and the better lever make it worth going for the Code RSCs despite the big price jump.

joebristol

On the bleeding edge calipers on the Guides instead of having to remove a bleed screw you just take a rubber cap off and there’s an adapter that pushes into the port. When you pull it out it just re-seals so you shouldn’t lose fluid out of it.

gweb
    Free Member

On the bleeding edge calipers on the Guides instead of having to remove a bleed screw you just take a rubber cap off and there’s an adapter that pushes into the port. When you pull it out it just re-seals so you shouldn’t lose fluid out of it.

That does sound a fair bit easier. Is it still a screw in port on the lever?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Brakes – what's best in 2017?’ is closed to new replies.