Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Brakes
  • garrypreece
    Free Member

Hi fellas,
    Had my Trek 2 months now and love it,can i do anything about my rear brakes squeaking ?

thanx for replies

coatesy
    Free Member

Take it back to where you bought it, and ask their opinion. Could be anything from contaminated pads(various causes inc. careless chain-lubing)to badly aligned calipers/improperly fitted wheel, or glazing of the friction surfaces. Someone familiar with these problems should be able to go through it with you, and get it sorted.

R.lepecha

As above.

Or some more information so the STW Massive can help you. Are they discs?(could we be working with vee’s) and what make and model.

Then we can explain to you the processes needed to hopefully solve the issue. It could be a multiple of issues so it may take some time to sort therefore if your not wanting to learn how to fix issues like this yoursef, so you can identify it next time, just take it to the shop..

gonzy
    Free Member

take the wheel off and inspect the disc rotor..it could be greasy and glazed over…give it a good clean with a disc brake specific cleaner, then once dry try sanding it with some sandpaper. if you do this sand away from the middle so you leave vertical lines on the rotor face. then take the pads out and inspect them. if they look like they have an oil type stain on them then chances are that they’re contaminated and you need a new set of pads. if not give them a clean with some water and when dry give then a light sanding to remove the top layer but go easy with the sanding and use a block to keep it even. whilst the pads are out check the caliper pistons are clean and seated correctly by wiping any dirt/grime out and then use a plastic tyre lever to push the pistons into the calipers.
    fit averything back together and check that the disc is running true and that the caliper is aligned correctly. also check that all the bolts are tightened up correctly as that could also be the cause.

garrypreece
    Free Member

Thanx for replies,
    Yes they are discs,i will try your recommendations,

Trek 3900-bike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Brakes’ is closed to new replies.