Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brake conversion
  • Stoogz
    Free Member

My dad has recently decided he wants to try mountain biking with me. So he decided to taky my old carrera out of the garage and put a bit of life back into it.

My question is, how easy is it to change from mechanical brakes to hydraulic brakes? And also what will we need for parts and such like?

acidchunks

You’re going to need to buy a complete set of discs: calipers, levers, pads, hoses and more than likely rotors as well.

If you’re after new the tektro draco are a nice cheap option, I use them on my commuter bike and despite being rather cheap and single piston they really do the business.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Shimano deore on bikediscount.de for just over 50 quid full set up no rotors though

Conan257
    Free Member

“Old carrera”?

“Mechanic Brakes” = Disc brakes?

You might want to add more detail as you might need new hubs/wheels. Some cheap forks/frames also run non-standard brake mounts so it’s best to check that as well…

Stoogz
    Free Member

Well i say old but I have seen older bikes out there. Exactly what age it is I’m unsure.

It does had disk brakes but they are mechanical hence why I want to change them.

Northwind

There’s nothing actually wrong with cable discs, if they work anyway. But if they don’t, worth replacing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brake conversion’ is closed to new replies.