Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bourbon
  • SaxonRider

I was given a bottle of Woodford Reserve for Christmas, and man do I like it. I could easily buy it again.

Any other bourbon fans on here? If so, do you prefer over scotch?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you ever get a chance to try ANY of these, I recommend that you do.

athgray
    Free Member

I have tried a few recently, attempting to try something new other than single malt. I must admit I have found them to be hard hitting, harsh and less subtle than most Scottish whisky. Gentleman Jack and Makers Mark probably the better ones. I would like JD Honey if it was slightly less sweet. If trying to branch out I have had some very nice Japanese and Irish whiskey. They look expensive CFH, is that your drinks cabinet?

I have just noticed how deep the colour is to those whiskeys. I see they are well aged

Coyote
    Free Member

Bulleit, Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve will see you right. In that order.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I rarely drink shorts ( mainly wine only these days ) but I do enjoy a good whisky on occasion.

Always Scotch first for me, but I do like a good bourbon.

spw3

I hated Bourbon until I tried Breckenridge. Buffalo Trace is ok but not a patch on it.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I much prefer Bourbon now to be honest, in complete contrast to athgray above I find whisky to feel raw in comparison. Woodford Reserve is a favourite and Buffalo Trace is surprisingly good considering the cost.

athgray
    Free Member

That’s interesting Ivan. Horses for courses I suppose.

Robz
    Free Member

Rowan creek, Fighting Cock, knob Creek, Elmer T Lee, Wild Turkey 108 all good too.
    Jim Beam is a good cheap party glugger.

Jack Daniels isn’t Bourbon.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Yeah, wasn’t a criticism – just interesting how someone can think of the relative tastes of bourbon/whisky as completely opposite to someone else.

I think the message here is clear – try more bourbons and whiskys just to make sure!

athgray
    Free Member

Here here Ivan! Out of curiosity, did you start on bourbon and then try Scotch. I reckon CFH’s boubon looks pretty good.

Cougar

I have just noticed how deep the colour is to those whiskeys. I see they are well aged

Bourbon is aged in new barrels which will give it a darker colour (whisk(e)y is aged in used barrels, amusingly they’re usually old bourbon barrels).

Some also have caramel added for colour. “Bourbon” is protected by federal law and has to meet certain requirements to be called bourbon (which is why JD isn’t bourbon, they charcoal filter it which is against the rules); anything calling itself “straight” bourbon can’t be coloured. You can tell fairly readily by giving the bottle a good shake – if there’s caramel in it you’ll get a brownish foam rather than white.

Cougar

Oh, and,

Maker’s Mark is the answer you seek.

busydog
    Free Member

Jack Daniels isn’t Bourbon.

Robz is right on that, it’s sour mash whiskey and the “Old number 7” is still my favorite–much prefer it to bourbon. I also must say I like a good single malt as well.

Cougar

do you prefer over scotch?

That’s a difficult question. They’re different, I like both. I started out as a bourbon fan, and was educated in the way of the whisky by a couple of fanatic friends (and, Richard Paterson *clang*).

flee5
    Free Member

If you want to try a proper bourbon Elijah Craig 12 year is only 25.99 at most m&s stores it’d about the best priced proper bourbon that I can find. Otherwise try a high west bourbon or Rye all of them are available on amazon and are certainly worth their price.

Cougar

it’s sour mash whiskey

All straight bourbons are sour mash. JD calls itself a “Tennessee Whisky” which, as far as I’m aware, falls under Tennessee state law for its definition.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I went from scotch whisky to a couple of Irish whiskeys to bourbon, not sure if it’s a common perception but I found Irish whiskey to be more bourbon like than scotch, particularly stuff like Bushmills.

Cougar

Otherwise try a… Rye

Try it by all means. Personally, I’ve not yet found one I like, all the ones I’ve had have been rough as houses.

Basil Hayden’s or Breckenridge. Bulleit if you’re not feeling so flush.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Bourbon is aged in new barrels which will give it a darker colour (whisk(e)y is aged in used barrels, amusingly they’re usually old bourbon barrels)

Part of the bourbon rules are that the spirit is matured in virgin wood. Scotch is matured in used wood, normally ex-sherry or ex-bourbon casks. To ensure a steady supply of used wood some of the Scots distilleries (well, one comapny actually) bought some woodland in the US and they rent the wood to bourbon distilleries then ship it over here when the casks are emptied. Over here, the wood is used up to 5 times before ending up as garden furniture or used to smoke salmon. Fascinating industry.

Cougar

which is why JD isn’t bourbon, they charcoal filter it which is against the rules

Sorry, I just looked this up, and it turns out I’ve been wrong for years.

JD is a bourbon; they don’t call it a bourbon by choice. Rather, the charcoal filtering (the “Lincoln County Process”) is a requirement of Tennessee Whiskey. Who knew.

athgray
    Free Member

It is funny you say that Ivan. I found Bushmills to be close to some Sherry cask malts. A bit like Macallan, Balvenie double wood or Glenfarclas.

Bushmills is a drink I would certainly say would be good to try for someone looking at getting into whisk(e)y.

Cougar, you are right, the Scotch market needs a good supply of ex bourbon barrels. For a Scotch whisky to obtain that colour it would probably spend 20 years in a Sherry cask. Seen pictures of I think 30 year old Dalmore that looks like blood.

Cougar
    TheFlyingOx

I was always a malt whisky man until my friend showed me some Rowan’s Creek Bourbon. It’s lovely.

stevied
    Free Member

Have to say I’m a JD man. ON7 is great with mixers, especially ginger beer but can’t beat the single barrel stuff on it’s own. This is lovely with a bit of ice:

BlindMelon
    Free Member

athgray – Member
    It is funny you say that Ivan. I found Bushmills to be close to some Sherry cask malts. A bit like Macallan, Balvenie double wood or Glenfarclas.
    Bushmills is a drink I would certainly say would be good to try for someone looking at getting into whisk(e)y.

If you like sherry notes and Bushmills then try Black Bush.

Bourbon wise Makers Mark or Wild Turkey for me. Although don’t overlook Jim Beam for an everyday drink

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

If you can find any Van Winkle – buy it and try it. Oh, and let me know where you got it so I can do the same.

Blantons Silver is gorgeous and better than their Gold but now at about 200 quid a bottle.

Woodford/Bullet/Makers Mark/JD are all ok but almost all you dont mind ruining with a dash of coke.

Buffalo Trace is a bit nicer. But Van Winkle is the dogs danglies.

egb81
    Free Member

Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek for me. Four Roses is pretty good for the price.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s a bike trail between the distilleries?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bourbon’ is closed to new replies.