Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • bose sounddock
  • tails
    Free Member

Whats the crack with these type things, my pure dab mini system has to retune the radio every time i turn it on now.

I would like something like the bose but with a built in DAB tuner, so whats out there as everything appears to have been designed by a blind man.

tails
    Free Member

anyone, my hifi knowledge is limited.

ojom
    Free Member

meh they are ok. sold a fair few in the past to people who wanted something to look better than it sounded.

not worth the pennies but that is subjective, it may be the thing for you.

try one out.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I think the sound is great, wish i had the portable one though…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Have a look at a Monitor Audio Airstream 10, a Vita Audio r2i, a B&W Zeppelin… they'll blow the Bose away.

Perhaps more importantly though, have a listen

kevin1911

Got a flyer from Richer Sounds yesterday. They had an Onkyo DAB tuner w/ CD player for £199 (excl. speakers). I was/am very tempted. Not sure what sort of DAB signal we'd get here though. Even FM is pretty ropey.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks people i saw the B&W today on john lewis, i like the look of the bose and the portability but why no DAB. Are yamaha any good? I'll have a look at the others, if I'm honest short of £30 albas I find it difficult to tell the difference betwwen good basic kit and super high quality stuff.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Pretty much anything that has a decent brand name will sound better than Bose, try searching for reviews & then ask why you can't find any on recognised sites, there is a reason for most things.

They are pretty though.

Enjoy.

tails
    Free Member

so the consensus is bose are crap. 8)

mike_p
    Free Member

I've got a Sounddock, got it half-price in a John Lewis sale. Full price they're poor value, but the sound is excellent, deep and full. It wouldn't work in a large room, lounge etc, because it's not big enough, but it's great in a bedroom, kitchen, home office, etc.

I can understand criticism of Bose for price/value, but I reckon the sound is teriffic. I once stayed in a hotel in the USA where Wave Radios were standard in the rooms and I was blown away by how it sounded.

Frizzer
    Free Member

I've got the portable Bose and I'm pleased with it but the rechargeable battery life is a bit poor.
    As for sound quality, I found positioning it so that the rear is near to a wall gives the best bass response. I'm sure there are better sounding systems out there but for me the portability of the Bose won me over.

tails
    Free Member

Actually how hard would it be to make something like this? I'm a designer by trade and my brother has a degree in electronics and electro magnetic engineering so as long as the parts are easily available.

How much does the casing of a speaker affect sound?

jockhaggis
    Free Member
    tails
    Free Member

cheers jock those revo look up my street.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ails – Member

so the consensus is bose are crap.

Yes. Alongside Bang & Olufsen.

tails
    Free Member

jockhaggis, have you got a revo they look like what I'm after, either the heritage, domino or blok but so few retailers I'd like to have a look first. what have you got?

RichPenny
    Free Member

How much does the casing of a speaker affect sound?

By an enormous amount. Speaker designers are often batshit crazy ime 🙂

jockhaggis
    Free Member

tails, I have a Sounddock at the mo. I think it's alright but maybe my ears aren't as well tuned as other folks.

Currently looking for another IPod dock with a DAB radio for the kitchen and Revo came up in a google search. Don't think they have been released yet the website has a preorder button. I'm waiting to see the reviews and a play in a shop before parting with the cash.

Also toying with Airport express boxes with speakers around the house. Controlling iTunes remotely with an iPhone or iPod Touch but that's a whole other subject.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘bose sounddock’ is closed to new replies.