Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Boring thread, best ISIS bb?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

My trusty raceface cranks have a horrible crunching sound coming from the BB so I think it’s nackered. Who makes the best one that isn’t ridiculous money? The Superstar one gets great reviews and is a fairly good price but is sold out at the minute. Any suggestions?

Suggsey
    Free Member

SKF- you get what you pay for-really well sealed and very long lasting bearing races although you may have to shop around to find one.

bighendo
    Free Member

SKF stainless, sadly they are no longer in production

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for SKF – there was a new one on the classifieds a few weeks ago. Do a search.

I’ve also used the Race Face Platinum BB. It has double replaceable bearings, they last pretty well. The single bearing versions are plain rubbish.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

ISIS BB’s is whjat made go to external cups. SKF do make/made good BB’s. can’t help you to find one though and you know you will have the same porblem again. ISIS is a format that will go the way of the cotter pin before to long.

timber

SKF if you can find one.
    They are the last ones I bought, newest is 3 years old, oldest is more than twice that.
    Superstar look worth a go. Would never try a RF one again, Truvativ DH fairly good too for the money and have extra bearing race.

steezysix
    Free Member

What size do you need? I bought a replacement Superstar one a while ago (been using them for a long time, no problems) but then got a good deal on a new crankset so never used it. It’s 73mm by 113mm, still in the box. £15 inc postage if you’re interested?

njee20
    Free Member

SKF. But frankly the best ISIS BB is like the best type of cancer. It’s still shit.

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    theblackmount
    Free Member

The SS ISIS product is sh1t. Ran a higher end RF unit for years and found it pretty good.

I’ve not found HT2 to last a hell of a lot longer tbh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sorry to say Hope HTII and new cranks

Back in the day I just missed the ISIS Fad thankfully, one mate made it less than 1/2 mile before there was a crunch and one ball bearing was ejected

ssboggy

I’ve used superstar and skf in the past and the superstar ones have outlasted the skf ones.
    The ss ones are not brilliantly sealed but the seals can be popped out and the bb flushed out and repacked with grease. I’ve got a superstar on the singlespeed that gets regular use and its way over 2 years old. Not bad for £30

_tom_
    Free Member

To be fair to the raceface isis bb it has taken some stick, bought it 2nd hand and used for 2.5 months of daily Whistler riding last summer, its only just started making really bad noises! That’s more riding than I’ll ever do in a year back home I reckon.

Might just wait for ss to come back in stock then..

onandon
    Free Member

American classic make a bloody fantastic Isis bb. Cheap , lite and long lasting.
    I’ve been trying to kill one on my single speed for the last two thousand miles.

eBay £25 posted from the US

wordnumb
    Free Member

Hey steezysix, if you’re selling that SS BB for £15 and _tom_ doesn’t want it, I’d be interested in buying it.

_tom_
    Free Member

I need 118mm x 68mm by the looks of things so go for it!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I had a Superstar one on the road bike. It wasn’t long before it started clicking.

Then I bought a cheapo nasty one from ebay and that was even worse, but it seemed that failed more due to corrosion and muck ingress, cos it was very stiff when I took it out.

For a road bike and a 12 stone rider, they haven’t lasted at all well regardless.

Since swapped to an FSA crank with external bearings.

steezysix
    Free Member

Wordnumb, drop me an email – address in profile!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Boring thread, best ISIS bb?’ is closed to new replies.