Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • bontrager jones ACX – 26 inch version like the 29er version ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

SO i seem to be in the minority that like the jones ACX on my rig. Good all round tire.

Is it the 29edness of my rig that makes the tire feel good ? is the 26 inch version exactly the same tire just scaled down ?

anyone know the weight of a 2.1 ?

Kahurangi

I had 2.3 ACX’s come as stock on my trek when bought. They were an absolute revelation at the time. Grippy, voluminous (compared to anything I’d used before) and lasted ages.

I gave up on them after a trip to Kielder when they couldn’t grip on the sand/rock surface on Dougie’s Day Off and found some new modern compound tyres to be much better but faster wearing.

It may have been the terrain I was riding on or the ageing of the tires, as to why I found them decrease markedly.

They were 26″, steel bead, were probably a harder compound to aftermarket tyres and were ~ 770g.

All of this info is however, probably useless. HTH though.

nicko74

Are we in a minority? I love Bonty ACXs, particularly compared to my old Fire XC Pros. I run a 2.3 at the front, 2.2 at the rear, both 26″ and find them to be pretty good all round tyres. I’ve found the sidewalls do show some wear fairly quickly, but that may be from having reasonably narrow rims (717s)

trail_rat
    Free Member

well other rig (gary fisher rig) owners i speak to dont seem to get on with them – hell i was buying the tires off ebay in as new condition for a 10er a pair !

think ive opted for a speedking/mtn king combo now.

nbt

I run a few ACXs – nice all round tyre, not as good as the FIre XC pro though, and not very long lasting, they’ve only been on for 12 months at the most and they’re almost bald – they’ll last till the end of summer but no more

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Been using ACX 2.2’s for years, excellent all round tyre IMO.

CountZero

I like ACX’s, and I believe JoB loves them as a good all-round tyre. No tyre will excel at everything, and while Fire XC’s might be better AFIK Panaracer have yet to do a UST version, and they won’t work ghetto tubeless. As all three of my off-road bikes are tubeless, that counts them out. Big Earls are better, but they weigh 930gm, and are unbelievably draggy, whereas the ACX’s roll fast and even the 2.3’s that I have on my Inbred 567 let me keep up a decent speed. I’ve used Conti’s, including Diesels, which are ok, but I think ACX’s are better.

imp999
    Free Member

Don’t forget that there are standard ACXs and Gum-bi TRs to choose from. I stuck a 2.3 TR on the front of my hardtail and am very impressed (19mil WTB rim).I’ve put these wheels/tyres on my Meta now and they did well XCing on the N York Moors.Got an XR on the back.
    All these run tubeless at c30psi.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Love them. Got a pair of 2.2 TRs on my Titus and the only bad thing I’d say about them is that they don’t wear all that well on the rear, but that could be user error.

Very easy to fit and inflate on UST rims, grippy and light (560g I think – I’ll need to check the stockpile in my shed).

Just back from a brilliant Cairngorms ride and they were flawless.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I was loving the ACX TR Bi-gums, but then I tore 2 sidewalls in two days, which has put me off running them. I don’t know what to run for BC this summer now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stuartie, IIRC you were getting these for mucho cheapness, care to mail me where you get ’em?

Cheers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘bontrager jones ACX – 26 inch version like the 29er version ?’ is closed to new replies.