Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bonar Bridge to Ullapool coast to coast and back again in a day….
  • haggis1978

Has anybody done this? Looking for any tips you might have please. Type of bike to use? Do you get phone signal? Take a big knife in case I have to fight of bears kind of stuff lol

Cheers guys

scotroutes

There was (fairly) recent chat of getting another STW C2C2C ride going this summer. I’d certainly be keen to give it a go.

downgrade
    Free Member

Not in a day but have done it (from Dornoch) with an overnight in Ullapool.

I was on a P7, its a lot of kind of land rover tracks if I remember rightly, nothing technically difficult. The route we did had one river crossing that was just about rideable at the time. Probably no phone signal, definitely no bears!

bedmaker

That should be quite doable in a day. I’ve done it a few times from Strathpeffer or Evanton up to Croik then across to Ullapool.
    That’s just shy of 60 miles, BB to Ullapool is about 33ish I think.
    I’ve done it on full sus and hardtail. I’ll probably use my fatbike this summer sometime. Full sus will certainly be a bit less tiring than HT.

BigR

What is the route like from Evanton, is it obvious from an OS map and how does it compare to the Bonar Bridge route?

bedmaker

Yes, it’s obvious from the OS.

Make your way north into strath ruisdale, follow track to deibidale. Then up glen calvie and on to croick and you are on the same route you’d be on from BB.

haggis1978

Cheers for the info guys. McMoonter has recommended taking a bivvy bag with me as well just in case. Have to be honest and say I’ve never done that before and was unsure as to exactly what that was. I know now 😉 can you guys recommend me a good lightweight sleeping bag bag and bivvy bag combo that will strap on to a rucksack no problem and not hinder my biking too much? Cheers

neil29679
    Free Member

@ bedmaker . im interested in what route from strathpeffer you took. i had a quick look on Google earth but it wasn’t obvious. did you join up with the bb route like ypu did from evanton or was it completely different .

epicyclo

bedmaker

I dont have my own GPX but this map of the Highland 400 has the route on it from Contin to BB Map

There is also some description of the route in Jonathans’ write up on the website here just above all the photos.

It’s a good run. Took us about 8hrs iirc. The fish & chips in Ullapool at the end stands out as one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I said bivi bag, I meant a plastic emergency bag, not a full on bivi bag and sleeping bag combo.

I usually have one in my camelbak for long days out in the hills, especially if I’m riding alone, which is seldom.

scotroutes

Agreed. A plastic emergency sack is a great idea if you really are going to be miles from anywhere. The wee foil blankets work well too – as long as you can get out of any strong winds. I’ve seen somebody unpack one at the top of a hill in a gale and be left holding too wee handfuls of silver foil 🙂

haggis1978

Ah OK I’ve got a couple of those in my camelbak anyway. As for the route I can get it off mtbtrails.info anyway so no worries. Cheers anyhoo.

kcal

Have done Altguish to Oykell Bridge (overnight stop) then on to Ullapool. No dramas – one narrow path above a steep gorge that I baulked at cycling – “penalty for failure, dude” moment..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bonar Bridge to Ullapool coast to coast and back again in a day….’ is closed to new replies.