Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Boat Race Thread
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That time of year again. No thread yet?

Must be bloody freezing on the river today. Loving the BBC coverage.

Hopefully eight v eight this year rather than last year’s eight v seven.

aracer
    Free Member

Wimps the lot of them. Out on the river in the daylight for 15 or 20 minutes. Not like the tough nuts who raced through the night last night in temperatures which really were freezing, into a headwind, over 125 miles for 16 hours 44 minutes or longer.

I know one of the chaps who managed to do it in only 16 hours 44 minutes 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wimps the lot of them.

Yes, of course.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I admire rowing for its physical brutality, but as a sport (participant) my god its dull!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Pointless fact of the day.
    Cambridge boat club blue is pantone 337

Whereas Bianchi Celeste is 332

Fueled
    Free Member

Cambridge doing brilliantly to stay in the race round the corner. They could still win this…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not now I don’t think. They’ve lost their bend.

Fueled
    Free Member

Looks like Oxford did something special out of the corner. They must be enjoying it.

Helios
    Free Member

Ruined themselves keeping up with Oxford on the bend… No hope this was over as soon as Oxford put in that push…

Helios
    Free Member

Loving the commentators trying to gloss over the Oxford cox effing and blinding…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thought it was over after the first 500 myself. Oxford rowed through them at the start. Pleased for Oxford after last year.

Stoner
    Free Member

A travesty that was.

theotherjonv

Singing at the end wasn’t called for either. Not sure if it was crew or supporters, but let themselves down there.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

A shame there wasn’t another protest but the hooray henries had the Royal Marines providing extra security. Did they pay for them?

richmars

hooray henries

Sorry, don’t understand.

nickc

Good race controlled well by Oxford. Cambridge made it hard though.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

They can’t half pout Ahhhh diddums!

jonba
    Free Member

Aracer I forgot that was on. Couple of my old club, taunton cc, were in other as well as a university friend. Tough race, was on my list when I was into that kind of thing.

Rowing seems backwards in comparison.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Fowl mouth on that Yankee Cox!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fowl mouth on that Yankee Cox!

He’s just trying to be down with you.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bloody immigrants coming over here and taking British jobs.
    There must of be loads of small shouty unemployed people on the dole who could do it.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Poultry?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Did someone say small and shouty?

I may have missed my calling in life.. 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

I find it all utterly horrendous. Cheering on a load of toffs rowing a boat. Nonsense. Should be consigned to the history books or at the very least starved of any publicity. The age of deference and celebrating privilege should be long gone.

Why don’t we have coverage of Paisley univ vs Bradford college….?

DezB
    Free Member

I couldn’t help wondering who the sponsors were. Whoever it was they were very discreet.

lazybike
    Free Member

Seems a lot of fuss over not very much…

jonba
    Free Member

I find it all utterly horrendous. Cheering on a load of toffs rowing a boat. Nonsense. Should be consigned to the history books or at the very least starved of any publicity. The age of deference and celebrating privilege should be long gone.

Pleb-ball seems to be on all the time 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

….just 6 hours training a day, six days a week for over a year. Then a race over a course several times the length of an Oly course in unpredictable conditions. And the oxford boat having beaten team gb. Not very much indeed?!?

Deference and privilege, wow!?!?

richmars

Cheering on a load of toffs rowing a boat

And the problem is the toffs or the rowing?

aracer
    Free Member

I find it all utterly horrendous. Cheering on a load of toffs rowing a boat.

I presume you find Olympic rowing equally horrendous?

Possibly because neither of those has a crew good enough to beat the reigning Olympic champions.

lazybike
    Free Member

Not knocking the athletes or their commitment….as a race it seems a bit dull, may work better as a TT with some other teams…bit more of an event.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

😐 I take it you are not an English gentleman loddrik. Otherwise you would clearly understand the delights of river-themed activities.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQYMMsz9Eec[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agree that it can become boring once one side has a lead and the Beeb have to over-hype any event that have exclusive rights to these days. They don’t even have the National next week!

richmars

Not knocking the athletes or their commitment….as a race it seems a bit dull, may work better as a TT with some other teams…bit more of an event.

The problem is, it’s more of a traditional event now. It’s amazing how close it is to be honest, given the distance and coarse.

DezB
    Free Member

coarse.

I agree. Very coarse for the BBC

loddrik
    Free Member

Class warrior? Moi?

Weasel
    Free Member

DezB – Member

I couldn’t help wondering who the sponsors were. Whoever it was they were very discreet.

It’s the Bank of New York Mellon.

Isn’t it all a bit of a con, as the majority are professionals, not like Giles, Gideon, Rupert etc having a good old challenge against their old muckers from the rival uni.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now you’re trying to sound posh with fancy french words 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

may work better as a TT with some other teams

Usually, a week or so before the Boat Race, there’s the Head of the River Race which is the same course, the other way round. It was cancelled this year because of the weather, but let’s see… Back in 2012 over 3000 rowers competed from all over the UK (and quite a few from across Europe). Then the day after there was the Vets’ Head, in which nearly 2000 rowers rowed (I coxed in that one). A week before that again is the Women’s Head, in which nearly 2500 women row (that was on the 17th this year, and went ahead). Then you have the Fours’ Head (women, men and vets again, but many rowing the fours heads will also be rowing the eights’ heads). Then there’s the schools’ head. Just in case anyone would like to think that the only people racing on the Thames and being cheered on are 16 “toffs” around the end of March every year.

lazybike
    Free Member

Back in 2012 over 3000 rowers competed from all over the UK (and quite a few from across Europe).

…Yep that qualifies for a “bit more of an event” 🙂 edit…thats a lot of head.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Boat Race Thread’ is closed to new replies.