Home Forums Bike Forum Boardman Pro Fs 2014 bearings

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Boardman Pro Fs 2014 bearings
  • joebristol

Hi there, has anyone got one of the above bikes and had to source bearings for the rear suspension? Just been into Halfords and they want £99 for a pivot kit. I think this is all the bearings and all the pivot bolts. Not sure if I need all of them – but in my mind I thought I’d come away with a £40 bill for parts.

Have held off ordering – hoping someone on here might know what size the main pivot bearings are (the one by the cranks). It’s the silver and green Boardman pro fs – the one before the current blue coloured pro.

If not I guess I’ll strip the frame down and see if the bearings have any markings on them (if I can get them out).

Maybe I’m just being tight – but I’d like to explore my options first – and have a baby on the way so would prefer to spend as little as possible!

transporter13
    Free Member

Take off the bearing caps/covers. This will reveal the bearings and any possible numbers on the seals…youll then be able to google said numbers and find bearings at a decent price.

joebristol

Thanks – so if I take the pivot bolt / cover off it should be marked on the side of the bearing?

Hadge
    Free Member

Joe, do as said earlier and look at the seals and get the codes. Then give us a call tomorrow at BETD and we will do you a price on a bearing kit. We make the pivot kits too and they are all machined stainless steel items. I’d go with the bearing kit first instead and see how that goes.

joebristol

Thanks Hadge – going to try and have a look at it later (after food shopping with the wife!)….once done I’ll try and call in the week.

joebristol

6901rs for the main bearings (now out the frame) and 698rs for Horst link bearings. Not tried to remove these yet!

transporter13
    Free Member

Are your bolts all still ok? If so then a few bearings will be significantly cheaper than 90 quid…even with fitting….although it may be wise to source a bearing removal kit so you can fo it in the future

tone46
    Free Member

Don’t forget the two small bearings at the rear of the swingarm triangle. You might think your bottom bracket is creaking but these will be the culprits.

joebristol

Those rear bearings are the ones I referred to as Horst link bearings (maybe incorrectly). Was wondering whether to change them – but sounds like I should. I think all my bolts are ok – if I could buy them individually I would but sounds like that might be difficult to do.

Need some advice on how to put the new bearings in – do I need some kind of press to do it safely? There’s no immediate hurry as I can’t ride the mtb for at least another month or two post shoulder operation. Just want it all together so I can get the new 1 x 10 drivetrain in and check I can get it working properly.

spawnofyorkshire

I got my LBS to do it in the end. He sourced the bearings (through BETD as it turns out) and fit them for me and it still came in well under the Halfords quote
    Well worth doing as the OEM bearings Boardman had installed were like soft cheese

jairaj

Depends on the frame but many frames require a blind bearing puller to extract the bearings from the frame. There was a thread about a suitable tool a little back:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bearing-removal-tool-1

To install new bearings you can make your own bearing press using a threaded bar some correct sized washers or a socket set and a couple of nuts.

joebristol

I managed to get the large bearings out with a drift and ballet ok. I haven’t looked to see how to get the small rear bearings out yet. I think superstar components have some cheap bearings installers on offer at the moment – they may do the job potentially (although I haven’t looked that hard yet). Alternatively I’ll give the threaded rod with nuts / washers a go.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Pro Fs 2014 bearings’ is closed to new replies.