Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Blue Peter Trangia Burner
  • AngusWells

I have just made my own open jet ‘Trangia’ meths burner from two drinks cans. And to my surprise, it actually works. It boiled an enamel mug full of water quite easily and once you pop a bag of Yorkshire Tea in the mug life couldn’t be better. No real reason to do it, apart from I could. Baden-Powell would be proud.

redthunder
    Free Member

Cool 🙂

GrahamS

Nice.

Does look suspiciously like something a junkie would use though. 😀

AngusWells

Only if they are addicted to tea, surely.

Muke
    Free Member

I was expecting something like this……

colonelwax
    Free Member

It’s well good making them, you get to use sharp things and fire, what’s not to like. Even better if you make them out of beer cans.

And another:

You can make some right posh ones too, not like mine.

headfirst
    Free Member

silly question: doesn’t the mug get too hot to handle and drink from?

AngusWells

I was thinking of putting the venting holes around the top to heat the underside of the pot better, as per The Colonel’s last photo. But I wasn’t sure if it would then work without the pot stand/windbreak.

AngusWells

The handle was a bit hot, yep. Not sure how you could insulate it to prevent that happening.

GrahamS

Not sure how you could insulate it to prevent that happening.

ski
    Free Member

Mine here in action, well a modded version anyway 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij30dDRFHQU[/video]

maccruiskeen

All one needs now is a UK source of alcool à brûler to fuel it so that your mug doesn’t end up covered in soot and you’re cooking with something which hasn’t been deliberately poisoned with and nasty-fied with vomiting agents like ipecac and pyridine.

Much as I like my trangia I like it more when I’m abroad

ski
    Free Member

Angus Wells – Member

The handle was a bit hot, yep. Not sure how you could insulate it to prevent that happening.

I messed about with not having vent holes near the handle, left a gap of a inch or so, which worked, well, stopped it getting that hot you could not hold it 😉

[edit] Mine has been keeping me in Tea down the allotment for nearly a year now, fuel, tea, milk, & stove all fit neatly into my cup.

IHN

Apparently if you do 9-1 (I think) meths to water you get much less soot.

maccruiskeen

Aye water works, but the un-dyed / un-tainted stuff is so much better.

On a diy and fire tip I’m planning to make a Rubens Tube soon. My workshop heater broke down and I’ve got 3/4 of a bottle of butane to play with

Love this guy – reminds me of Open University presenters before they started making palateble TV that wasn’t screened at 3 in the morning

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpovwbPGEoo[/video]

AngusWells

He’s just like Prof Denzil Dexter from the Fast Show.

maccruiskeen

Isn’t he just. I miss the old style OU, although I don’t miss the insomnia that caused me to watch it so often

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What do you use for fuel? Yes alcohol gel or meths but… it used to be the case that a lot of cheap cleaning fluids burned well. These days, probably due to ‘elf and safety, the alcohol that burned has been replaced by compounds that don’t (and to deny desperate alcoholics their pleasure).

So what cheap supermarket household cleaners still burn as a cheap and available source of fuel?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Blue Peter Trangia Burner’ is closed to new replies.