Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Blimey, Marin!
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I read this kind of thing all the time on here and i think it’s bollocks spouted by folk to either justify a new bike or as an excuse for something else.

Not really – I remember them standing out like a sore thumb when I worked in a shop. The full suss bikes in particular had massively high BB’s and very steep head angles. They were awful things to ride as well.

I only owned an early Mount Vision which was sold for a BMX, so my comment re the later ones was nothing to do with justifying a new bike.

cjr61

Still miss my bouncer with the alpine link to slacken it off a little…..

Cracking bike and didn’t realise it until I sold it!

sketty
    Free Member

Euro – I see what you did with that now. I think it looks menacing but then again I’m one of the old ‘giffers’ that keep being referred to.

I have a 19″ 1992 Team Marin with a 2006 100mm travel Rockshock Tora 318 on it….I must say it does rather make it look like a chopper! The Team Marin was beautiful when new. Yes I bought it new in about 1992 when Marin were de-rigueur, so old it was pre v-brake even. It is knickel plated but that is severely giving up now and £80 to have it shot blasted and re-plated just doesn’t seem worth it now.

Anyway, the forks are going onto the Mount Vision soon as that frame arrived today which is in fantastic condition and with an immaculate Fox Float R shock. I’ll upgrade to disk brakes when I can afford them – probably when I next need a new wheel and now that zippykona has kindly scanned the adaptor for me, top man.

zippykona – how do your two bikes ride out of interest?

Poopscoop

sketty Old “giffer” here too, and proud of it. 😀

Glad you’ve got the disk mount scan sorted. Love this forum (minus the all knowing/ self righteous posts you sometimes get) as the knowledge and helpfulness is so great.

Got a pic of your new (to you) MV frame mate?

sketty
    Free Member

I certainly do, not my pic but from the seller. Is that an original livery?

Poopscoop

I think that is original decals from memory.

Does look in great nick!

zippykona

Sketty, it rides fantastic. I bought a random shock off eBay.Maybe I’ve got lucky but it’s not needed tuning like the shocks on my Spearfish or Superlight.
    The front end never felt as stable as the 29ers and I experimented with off set bushings. That was no use but fitting the same wide bars as the 29ers sorted that out. It may have been more to do with bar width than wheel size.

sketty
    Free Member

Excellent. I’ve got a square peg LX triple chainset from the same era which has tons of wear left in the chainrings. I found an old review somewhere that said the MV required a 113mm BB….anyone confirm that?

fatmax

I had a ’90 Eldridge Grade with the ‘unchippable’ paint job and fluoro forks / bar / stem. Loved it.

Poopscoop

How you getting on with parts for the build sketty?

zippykona

Yeah, hurry up!

sketty
    Free Member

Yes yes, parts are coming in slowly. It’s not going to be pretty to begin with, I just want to get it together and ride it so most parts are from a well used donor bike – LX/XT mix. A few new parts needed to fit the frame tubes – seat post, front mech – ordered but still waiting for them to arrive. I can’t afford to go discs yet so will be running v-brakes. Forks are old Rock Shox Tora 318’s coil, 100mm travel, heavy but just re-oiled and fitted a seal kit. Just realised I’m also going to need a pump with pressure gauge for the rear shock…dammit.

sketty
    Free Member

There we are, built and ridden for the first time.

zippykona

That looks nice, are you happy with it?

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Blimey, Marin!’ is closed to new replies.