Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Black Friday…..er is it only me that doesn't get it
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

Argos offering PS4 and x box at the same price everyone else has for a month and its still cheaper to go to Asda

TV’s for the same price Richer Sounds have been selling at all year

My fave is the CRC sale ,still trying to see much if any difference in prices or stock that wasn’t on clearance

Is there anything out there worth fighting in the isles for as depicted on TV?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Hype to get people to buy stuff they don’t need at apparently mass discounted prices..

Probably a few good selective limited deals that will sell out very quickly..

methers27
    Free Member

black Friday isn’t until the 27th, so all the current “deals” are just to make people aware it’s coming

mikey74
    Free Member

There is nothing in the aisles worth fighting for, except maybe bottled water come the zombie apocalypse.

tinybits
    Free Member

Well, if you’re after say a Macbook (as I was last year) it makes sense to wait until the 27th and then go straight to the John Lewis website where they price match all the other deals and you’ll make a saving.

This makes sense surely? I saved £150 doing that. Of course, if you don’t need / want something then however cheap it is, it simply isn’t a bargain!

mattyfez

All hype.. Ok there are some good deals if you just happened to need something that’s on offer but of you tend to shop around for the best possible price on stuff your unlikely to make massive savings.. Crc for example seem to have a semi permanent clearance sale on anyway.. 50% off an RRP of £100 seems great until you realise that the product generally sells for about £60 elsewhere all year round.

Amazon black Fridays just seem to made up of tat that doesn’t sell.. Again great of you just happen to have been going to buy an item anyway.. But meh.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Just checked JL and they don’t sell the Garmin Edge 520. Boo!

ernie67

I’ve got my fingers crossed that Alpkit are doing something in the way of reductions that day .
    Need a winter jacket …brrrrrr

zilog6128

Apple normally have a sale on their website – the only one they have all year, so genuine savings there. Amazon use it to clear out old crap but also have bargains on “normal” stuff items – I’ve had a few decent buys over the years e.g. Garmin units.

The high street black Friday sales are a mugs game of course, but that’s the same of almost any high street sale. It’s either a clear out of stuff that isn’t selling, or they bring in items specifically for the sale like those Matsucrappo tellys Asda had last year that fools were fighting each other for.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It very cynical, it’s a sale on the pay weekend before Christmas designed to get all your money ASAP so you don’t go shopping elsewhere for the next four weeks. Assuming most people get paid on or just before the last Friday of the month so their next payday leaves little or no shopping time before the 25th Dec. That’s about all there is to ‘get’ about it.

onandon
    Free Member

It makes me laugh when you see piles of people on the news, literally murdering each other for some pile of shite no brand LED TV.
    Stupid people thinking they’re getting an offer.

Just sit at home and order online and get a better deal without grief.

tonyg2003

It’s just something to do in the USA after you have eaten your body weight in turkey the day before. Most people take the day off to make the long weekend.

antigee

as thisisnotaspoon said plus a very good time to generate cash as suppliers will need paying at the end of the month for the additional inventory brought in for xmas, depending on terms.

though originated in US where lots of people are paid fortnightly but before online shopping a day when many non retail people were off work because last thurs in Nov is Thanksgiving holiday

DrP

It makes me laugh when you see piles of people on the news, literally murdering each other for some pile of shite no brand LED TV.

I wonder about this too…
    Some no-name brand 96″ TV for £300 is bound to be trouble waiting to happen.

DrP

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s the standard day for “Christmas” sales promotions in the US as it’s the Friday after Thanksgiving and many people have a day off. Huge amount of deals get offered and sales made. It’s been brought to the uk and now twisted a bit to offer sales every Friday, as you post many of the offers are FAKE.

ferrals
    Free Member

It’s all rubbish, but I’m still hoping CRC, or another large retailer, is going to discount some SIDs to a tenner

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Amazon black Friday and lightning deals often have Garmins cheaper than anywhere including Handtec and imports. We’ve bought at least 6 for ourselves or others. Also done similar for Go Pros so its not all really tat that doesn’t sell.

And yes its an American import trying to drive early spending.

Glad I’ll be out of country as living in Bicester all the dead eyed consumer zombies will be grid locking the roads queuing to buy reduced gaudy designer tat at the Outlet Village.

papercutout
    Free Member

crashtestmonkey – I’m only down the road from Bicester! I used to work in the village too, it’s a terrible, terrible place! Potentially going for a ride over by Wendover next Thursday morn if you’re free…

I’ll be out the country again on the 28th, so couldn’t really give a rats arse.

scuttler

Quality Viz-style article article in the Mirror – http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/4-black-friday-sales-probably-6782171

Black Friday, the day when shoppers punch each other in the face over a TV, is coming. And it seems retailers are worried. US-owned Asda may have been credited with bringing Black Friday to these shores, but it is reportedly scaling back plans this year , to avoid a repeat of last year’s scrum.

So what was so special that it turned shoppers into bargain-hunting beasts, and can you get an even better deal this year?

…Widescreen TVs, coffee makers, Playstations and posh headphones.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I will be in the aisles come the 27th.

Don’t need anything, just like smacking people round the head with a Blaupunkt telly.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ll be down the sports isle…where the golf clubs are..

m0rk
    Free Member

Was in Florida last year for Black Friday – was hilarious watching the panic buying.

Going back with my list this year

Poopscoop

It’s a Yank idea linked into the horrible “festival of greed and cynicism” otherwise known as Christmas. Sorry, should that be Xmas?

Another American distortion to fuel Chinese factories to build junk we’re told we need.

Sorry, detest Christmas these days.

wilburt
    Free Member

A fool and his/her money are easily parted.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Black Friday…..er is it only me that doesn't get it’ is closed to new replies.