Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bird Aeris 145 weight
  • jakesmithgt
    Free Member

Hi all,

Im considering buying a Bird Aeris 145 (size large), and went down to swinley recently to test ride. Bike perdormed great on downs, but seemed a little more weighty than expected (I think website states around 13.5kg, being lighter than my current rig).

Although weight obviously depends on spec, is there anyone thats got an Aeris 145 that could weigh there bike and report back?

Thanks for reading,

Jake

1timmy1
    Free Member

From Enduro Mag:

Exclusive First Ride – The New Bird Aeris 145

13.58 kg in Large.

Edit: They tested a pretty high end build.

mattyfez

Type of tyre & pressure can make a lot of difference.

jamesoz

mattyfez – Member
    Type of tyre & pressure can make a lot of difference.

Air can be quite heavy

benpinnick

They all tend to hover around the 30lb mark unless you go for light weight. That Enduro mag bike wasn’t specifically light despite being high end. It was running our heaviest wheels, 2nd heaviest forks and heaviest shock for example. The XO1 helped a little with the weight, as did a SixC bar, but even then they’re not the lightest options we do either. You could shave around 2lbs from that Enduro mag bike (and save money ironically) or make it probably a lb heavier ignoring tyre choice (which could be another lb on its own!).

If in doubt, we list all the part weights on the site so check them out and try and stay on the lighter end and you’ll be heading sub 30lbs.

paladin

jamesoz – Member

Air can be quite heavy

you dont use helium?

Andy_K

The wifeys ML 145 seems to be pretty reasonable, 1×11, pikes, hope M4s. Much lighter than my Tranny Suppressor anyway.

joebristol

I’ve got some luggage scales and keep meaning to have a go at weighing my Aeris but not got round to it yet.

I had a Boardman Pro fs previously which was quoted at 13kg and the Aeris is definitely heavier than that. You only tend to notice it on road sections between off road bits and he occasional draggy fire road. Apart from that the 145 is faster everywhere – it really excels on technical climbs where the front wheel stays firmly on the floor (where I was constantly fighting to keep the front wheel down on steep climbs on my old bike).

Obviously you point it downhill and it’s amazing too.

My build isn’t very light at all either – got the standard e1900 wheels, Yaris, a brand X dropper and all the standard selection of bars / stem etc. Running 2.3″ Maxxis dhr2 and aggressor combination. Got GX 11 Speed gears. So there’s nothing fancy on it to save weight.

I thought it flew on the demo at Swinley – I’d recommend speccing a 30t chain ring if you’re goin 11 speed as it really helps in steep climbs. If you’re going GX 12 speed then clearly not an issue with that monster cassette.

jakesmithgt
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys,maybe I was just feeling a little weak on the day. Its just that my 14.5kg specialized fsr xc pro seems to be more efficient pedalling (even with dual ply 2.5″ high rollers with similar air pressures!)

Benpinnick: could you please tell me frame weight?

Cheers all

Bagstard
    Free Member

Swinley isn’t without it’s charms, but I don’t think it gives a fair test to a six inch travel enduro bike. The same bike on a rough rooty climb makes much more sense, the constant up and down nature of Swinley is taxing on a big bike, better on a singlespeed hardtail.

chiefgrooveguru

Thanks for the replies guys,maybe I was just feeling a little weak on the day. Its just that my 14.5kg specialized fsr xc pro seems to be more efficient pedalling (even with dual ply 2.5″ high rollers with similar air pressures!)

I think you were having a bad pedalling day – or you were actually going faster but your perception of speed was skewed by the more modern geometry and better suspension.

joebristol

Test riding it somewhere like Cwmcarn highlights the Aeris in an even better light – especially if you pop down the DH runs. I also cleared a technical section of uphill on the Twych route which I’ve never cleared on any bike before.

Since I’ve had the Aeris I’ve pretty much smashed all the Strava segments bar a couple (which are really flat / smooth / pedally) whether it’s up / down / flat that I’ve set over the last few years. I’m also at my least bike fit I’ve been in the last 3 years too.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Was wondering what the frame weight difference is between the 120 and the 145?

chiefgrooveguru

I’d guess at 200-250g. Wonder how close I am?

tomaso
    Free Member

My spin on one at Hamsterley was the opposite to your experience.

No dual ply on my test bike and I thought it went up hill very well compared my Whyte T130 with HRII DH.

joebristol

Weighed my Aeris 145 on some luggage scales – bang on 32lbs. Obviously not super accurate – to give it some context I also weighed my Boardman Team carbon 2010 racer. Showing as just under 17lbs which I think is about right. It’s standard apart from Mavic aksium wheels / tyres / saddle.

Means the Bird is the heaviest mtb I’ve ever had I think – but it doesn’t ride like it. Plus none of my other bikes have had 160mm/145mm suspension, huge brake discs and such wide wheels.

joemmo
    Free Member

Just weighed my 120 out of interest, also came to around 32lbs but I’m not that confident in the quality of the scales..

joebristol

Same – they’re just cheap luggage scales that I used – that’s why I weighed the racer as well. Think reviews say that was 8kg – so 17.6kbs but I’ve got slightly lighter wheels on it.

Not sure in terms of frame if they’re a too much difference between the 120 and 145 – they look very similar.

joemmo
    Free Member

Yes I don’t think there’s much difference in the amount of metal between them. Spec is Yari, GX 11spd and DT wheels

chiefgrooveguru

Generally the main difference between two very similar but different travel frames is a thicker walled and/or larger diameter down tube to handle the greater fork leverage.

alextemper
    Free Member

As Ben already highlighted, spec of components will play a big part and the most expensive option isn’t always the lightest. My MK1 Aeris with SPD pedals weighed in at 28.5lbs on their scales and as a comparison the Nomad 3 I owned at the time also came in at the same weight. A lot of that weight saving came from light wheel builds, carbon cranked and ultra light Bontrager carbon saddles at 140g a pop. Ultimately if the bike rides well, weight shouldn’t be too much of a concern.

joebristol

Mines Yari 160’s, Sram gx11 speed and dt Swiss e1900s. So a very similar spec – I did upgrade the brakes to guide rs with 200/180mm discs which may have added some weight and have a full one up bash guard / chain guide. Brand X dropper is quite heavy too I think.

Checked the frame stats and it seems the ml 145 vs ml 120 is longer and slacker. Wonder if the 120 might be a bit more nimble.

mark d
    Free Member

Mine is a One20 medium, full XT, top of the range Rockshox, Hope 35 hoops, Maxxis Tyres.
    Comes in around 29lbs.

In years gone by we all wanted sub 30lbs, especially for significant money.
    Everything has got burlier/ stiffer, tyres we used to think of downhill only are now for normal trail riding.
    Forks are wider, Boost, wider rims etc.
    The bike is amazing, climbs everything, I never notice the weight.

joebristol

When you say top of the range Rockshox, which forks are you running?

mark d
    Free Member

RockShox Deluxe RT3 DebonAir 210×55 on the rear,
    RockShox Pike RCT3 130mm DebonAir 2018, Boost 110×15 – Diffusion Black, 1827g on the front.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bird Aeris 145 weight’ is closed to new replies.