Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • biofuel anyone make their own here ?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

I run 2 diesel cars, I used to purchase biofuel from a small company round the corner…now that the government increased the tax on the fuel they cannot justify the process of making it and selling as they struggle to make any money, there are (AFAIK) no more producers in my immediate area…..so does anyone here make their own? what are the pitfalls and what are the real costs involved?

donsimon
    Free Member

This should be worth a read on how to make but I would imagine that most cooking oil users have cottoned on to the money they can make from selling waste oil therfore removing the cost advantage.

carlphillips
    Free Member

yes my old producers now just sell the used oil at 70p per litre but i figured if i could make it once the initial outlay of the reactor is over with then it should help me save money on fuel.

donsimon
    Free Member

Most site I’ve researched finally were trying to sell you something, give the site I posted a good read as I couldn’t find what they were trying to sell, so I guess an impartial viewpoint.

molgrips
    Free Member

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php – this is the definitive UK information source with loads of experienced DIYers.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Have a look at the Toyota Hilux owner’s forum – loads use biodiesel.

carlphillips
    Free Member

cheers!

maccruiskeen

what are the pitfalls

a massive inferno

craigxxl
    Free Member

HMRC are cracking down on the use of home made biodiesel without paying over fuel duty. They now test for it at the same time as red diesel with the emphasis proving where you bought it.

Bewilderedsassanack

HMRC are cracking down on the use of home made biodiesel without paying over fuel duty. They now test for it at the same time as red diesel with the emphasis proving where you bought it.

You can use/make 2500 litres per year without worrying about duty. Dip away HMRC.

craigxxl
    Free Member

That is true but you still need to keep records of what you’ve produced and used so they can be inspected.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bewildered sassanack

You can use/make 2500 litres per year without worrying about duty. Dip away HMRC.

The problem is the onus is on you to prove you have not used more than your allotted 2500 litres. Sounds odd I know, but HMRC don’t need logic as they are basically the SS. You are supposed to keep a log of your bio usage. Or alternatively have receipts for ordinary diesel.

So if you have another car running non bio, just keep the receipts for it in your bio car or get friendly with someone in your local petrol station and get them to keep a few receipts a week for you.

craigxxl
    Free Member

We’re finding HMRC launching more enquiries than ever before as they attempt to refill the coffers. The majority are random but they seem to concentrate on benefits in kind and the one they pick up time and time again with clients is company cars with no fuel benefit but the company still paying for all the fuel. In this case the drivers are supposed to keep a mileage log and pay back their private use and no one ever does.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Fair enough, 2500 liters would cover some 25000 miles in my Pug. I dream of Irish laws being so friendly 🙁

highclimber
    Free Member

The problem is the onus is on you to prove you have not used more than your allotted 2500 litres.

let me get this right: the HMRC are asking us to prove a negative? 😯

jimjam
    Free Member

highclimber

let me get this right: the HMRC are asking us to prove a negative?

As far as I am aware (though I may be corrected). It’s the same if they catch you on red diesel – you have to prove that you have bought some road diesel or they can assume you’ve been running the car illegally for as long as you’ve owned it and fine accordingly.

and in cases involving “dishonesty”

criminal action may be taken, and the offender can be fined an unlimited amount or imprisoned for up to seven years, or both.

I would hate to get fined 6 billion pounds.

uplink
    Free Member

let me get this right: the HMRC are asking us to prove a negative?

That’s fairly normal behaviour for them, that’s how they work a lot of the time

carlphillips
    Free Member

i still can’t find anyone who makes it in plymouth…

Bewilderedsassanack

The 2500 limit is not a barrier to anyone but a commercial manufacturer.

Personally I’ve been on waste vegetable oil for last three years, as I would rather spend a day converting the car than having to convert all my veg oil to biodiesel. Way too much effort.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@ bewildered, I’ve been looking into this too..how well does it work (winter esp) and do you run a 1 or 2 tank conversion?
    whats the prices like and where do you get your fuel from?

Bewilderedsassanack

Works brilliantly.

I have a twin tank- this can be as simple as a jerry can of diesel in boot, or a proper mini tank. A flat plate heat exchanger and heated fuel filter (coolant heated) under bonnet (cost about £50)….with diesel a preheater (a luxury, not essential). 5% petrol in the oil unless it’s summer to reduce oil viscosity. Switch to 100% diesel in depths of winter as oil gets too thick. Only attempt this if you have a Bosch fuel pump or pump will die. Also don’t attempt with a common rail diesel.

The biggest problem is getting waste oil with so many oil users and commercial companies hoovering up what’s available.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bio is better, but more work. And waste veg oil still needs filtering and dewatering, which is non trivial. Twin tanking your car is also not a hassle free situation either.

Bewilderedsassanack

It really doesn’t take long to twin tank – a mornings work at most….and that’s with tea and cake stops. The waste oil can happily gravity filter thru old jeans, filter socks in all but depths of winter, just pour and leave. No risk of detonating your garage, no titration, nasty chemicals etc.

Very easy, but certainly less flexible than bio as you can’t use it on common rails etc. or cold start on it with a lot of engines. Personally I use a scavenged Diesel preheater which means I avoid cold starting, so spend very little time on expensive diesel.

molgrips
    Free Member

You also have to find space for a second tank (although not much) and you need to remember to switch when appropriate – including purging the system for a minute when you stop.

Bewilderedsassanack

If anyone wants to see a setup then my white Land Rover spends way too much time at GT/IL and the Pentlands. Happy to show the plumbing!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘biofuel anyone make their own here ?’ is closed to new replies.