Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bikes on the roof or bikes on the boot?
  • Deevass
    Free Member

I’m in the Market for a decent bike carrier, I’m thinking either anThule Towbar bike carrier or Thule Roof Rack carrier. I drive a Honda CRV, anyone have any comments / experiences. I like the idea of the bikes on the roof so they don’t obstruct the boot (door opens sideways) but have this stupid fear I’ll drive under a low bridge or tree and loose the bike!!

z1ppy

Having driven under a low entry barrier with a rear carrier that lifted the bike higher than the car – it went under luckily. I will not be ever using a roof mounted carrier in any sort of hurry (bought an estate since then & gave that carrier away!).
    Thule do towball mounted one (more expensive, if you don’t already have a towball) that will fold away from the rear door, even with the bikes installed, allowing access to the boot.

I have come across a guy (mtb holiday operator) who believed roof mounted carrier are bad for forks, as they stress the fork in a way there not designed to withstand. Even suggesting he’d come across people whose forks had some apart and the bike then flipped over backwards.
    How true this is, I couldn’t say.

Deevass
    Free Member

Thanks z1ppy, I’m leaning towards the tow bar mounted rack as it seems to be the safest securest option. It’s more expensive but nowhere near as expensive as it would cost me to replace my bike frame and forks!!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Depends if you need to access the back of the car much

Bregante

singlecrack – Member
    Depends if you need to access the back of the car much

I’ve got this one that tilts with the lifting of one handle

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/car-racks/product/review-thule-euroclassic-g5-909-33722/

Deevass
    Free Member

To be honest the back door I have opens sideways so even with a tilt feature I doubt I’ll get the boot door open. I’ll just have to take the bikes off the rack before I open the boot (hardly a hardship). I think the Towbar mounted rear rack is the one for me, thanks guys

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on the roof or bikes on the boot?’ is closed to new replies.