Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bikes on the Roof
  • simonjf63
    Free Member

Anybody got experience of fitting two bikes and a roof box on roof bars? We need a roof box for holidays and I'm trying to do a bit of forward planning for getting a couple of bikes on top as well.

Pieface

My mate does it with a slim roof-box. Bulky light stuff in the box like sleeping bags and so on.

HTH

simonjf63
    Free Member

And he can get two bikes up top alongside a box? I've got Thule bike carriers and aerobars – what box does he have?

Pieface

He has a bike rack either side of the box (bikes on outside) on Thule Aero bars on roof rails on a BMW 3 series estate. Not sure which box, probably Thule again but definitely slim. It all just about fits but works.

simonjf63
    Free Member

Sounds perfect – many thanks

uplink
    Free Member

Have a look here – http://www.roofbox.co.uk/
    Top people to deal with too

Kamei make great boxes, better than Thule IMO

pdw
    Free Member

If you've got aero bars and use the T-track connectors it should be easy, as you can put the bikes right at the end of the bars.

simonjf63
    Free Member

I'd heard that Kamei were good – will take a look at the site, thanks

time to go shopping methinks

Jason
    Free Member

I have a Thule Pacific 500, which will fit on the roof bars with two bike alongside. It fitted ok on the bars on my BMW 1 series which were fairly narrow at 1m

RustyMac

If you find you are struggling for space put one of the bikes the opposite way to the other and take the inside pedals off, this way they can be secured closer to each other giving greater space for your roof box. Ive seen this method used on smaller cars like fiestas and polos. Just remember to check the maximum weight your rack can hold before you jam your roof box full.

Good luck i'm sure you'll find something suitable

smogmonster

I use a Oddyssey (sp?) half width box with 2 Thule carriers on my CMax, fits comfortably. Got them all from Roofbox (above), superb service and the best prices i could find.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on the Roof’ is closed to new replies.