Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikepacking – what small tarp?
  • 40mpg

Having been woken by a shower on my face Saturday morning (I WAS bivvying) I’ve decided its probably about time to supplement my kit with a tarp.

Not sure I want one as big as the alpkit one – probably about half the size – but otherwise something similar.

Any suggestions? (and no I don’t intend making one myself, my sewing skillz are abysmal)

AlexSimon

Maybe one off here?
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page112.asp

There’s loads of other ‘homebrew’ type people too.
    Also some ebay ‘basha’ type things on ebay.

Conan257
    Free Member

I really do like my DD Hammocks tarp… However I got it quite cheap!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i made my own last summer out of some super light material, some eyelets and some strips of fabric. sub 200g, £20.

i’ve a sheet or two of material left (iirc ~1.2m x 2m, could be wrong, but a decent enough size) if you’re interested. would be after £15 for it posted, as its decent stuff. medium dark green.

cupra
    Free Member
    29erKeith
    Free Member

If you know somebody who’s handy with a sewing machine, to do hems and sew in pole and guy points then just buy the fabric and guys lines

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=NRST-99

several designs on here

My Gran did mine 🙂

singletracksurfer

I got a cheapo one off flea-bay. camo tarp 1.8 x 2.4m for £5. Dead light and has eyelets.

psling
    Free Member

1200mm x 1450mm? 141g? micro tarp from backpackinglight

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these MLD Dog Tarps in my tarp collection. Not bad for $49 (plus shipping). Worth checking the lead time though as they can be quite extended from MLD for some stuff.

slugwash
    Free Member

For shorter trips & one nighters I usually use one of these
    you can always use it as a groundsheet if it looks like it might stay dry. Not something I like to do with the more delicate Alpkit Rig 7 material.

However, the Alpkit tarp’s handy to get pitched in a hurry if you’ve got a bike and the weather’s suddenly looking ominous….

slugwash
    Free Member

Oh, and you can also pitch the cheap tarp in a hurry if it starts pi**ing down in the early hours….. 😉

Blackhound

One for sale here:

Siltarp

slackman99
    Free Member

I have a silnylon tarp for sale. Just the right size to cover your head and upper body.

30D silnylon. 158cm x 148cm. Double stitched hem, reinforced tieouts, central lifter, linelocks (way better than simple loops). Weight is 159g in it’s stuffsack. No guylines with it.

If you’re interested email in profile and i’ll fire over some pics.

AlexSimon

Nice of the op to check back in again eh 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking – what small tarp?’ is closed to new replies.