Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike trailers for kids
  • ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I know this has been covered a few times before but I’m wondering what’s good these days for bike trailers for kids that can be taken off-road. By off road I mean fire roads and not too rough type stuff.

I’ve been looking at the weeride deluxe but not sure how suitable it’d be off-road.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chariot innit. Best hands down imo. But pricey. The suspension really helps even on fire roads.

riddoch

I have the weeride and it’s fine on bridleways.
    I’m planning a weehoo igo as like Bob cargo trailers it single wheel so it’s narrower and less likely to tip.

warns74
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/E50MHup4x4o[/video]

A friend and I got one of these each last spring and our kids love them. Only used it on tarmac bike paths and gravel fire roads so far but it has been great for getting out as a family. It’s narrower than the handlebars so you don’t need to worry about the width when you’re on the road and while you riding side by side having a chat, the kids are behind you are doing the same!

Took it out last weekend, first time this year and it was great!

simon_g

Came to the conclusion that Chariot (now part of Thule) was best for us. Works well for bike, run, or just as a pushchair on tracks that would make normal ones struggle.

Buy secondhand, ours was used for 3 kids and still in very good condition. Lots for sale have the various wheels/bracketry for the different modes, infant sling, etc which saves you buying separately. It’ll still be worth something too when you no longer need it.

hatter

Chariot CX user here, brilliant bit of kit, looked hard at the single wheel versions for offroad but didn’t like the idea of what would happen if I lost the bike.

Had this happen at Swinley with the Chariot, bike hit a patch of soft sand, front wheel just went, had to jump off the bike, the flexy hitch meant the trailer just stopped upright, nipper thought it was hilarious, would have been a much more melodramatic incident with a single wheeler.

The first time you get one airbourne is always interesting.

Also the design of the Chariot means you can use it as a pushchair/jogger/offroad buggy etc etc.

They are not cheap though, not horrendous when compared to posh pushchairs that aren’t nearly so well made or serviceable but still…

My wee lady’s just turned 18 months and so will be the perfect age for some MTB adventures this summer, can’t wait.

ransos
    Free Member

Chariot innit. Best hands down imo. But pricey. The suspension really helps even on fire roads.

Burley d’lite is much the same. We’ve been very happy with ours. I think the newer Croozers have suspension, too.

jonathan
    Free Member

Chariot for sure. I have a CX1 I need to sell too!*

Great bit of kit – allowed me to do loads more riding than I would have been able to without it. Kids loved it too. Good for running and any time you need to moved kids about on rough ground, or just keep them warm and dry outside.

* Well used but in good nick. All the extras. Let me know if you’re interested.

grahamt1980

Chariot cx here too.
    Great bit of kit. Mates have said they can see the suspension working when it is going over bumps too

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Jonathan would be interested. Can you drop me a line and some pics please. Email in profile.

jonathan
    Free Member

I will do – shout at me if I forget! (Just added email to my profile)

burko73

Also interested in a kids trailer. Nr southampton if that helps. Email in profile.

bella
    Free Member

Tout terrain singletrailer expensive but single wheel and 8 inches of suspension that works. Beautifully engineered by the German folk.

ade9933
    Free Member

Thought about the chariot when ours were little but didn’t think I’d get the benefit of the skiing and other add ons so went with the halfords special for about a ton.

It was great, we had twins took them all over the Surrey hills (before it was cool) ;o)

Also great now for dragging beach equipment and picnics around on holiday and think it will be useful to take take the kids on bike / camping trips too.

Some have funny bike attachments so make sure they fit your bike(s)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike trailers for kids’ is closed to new replies.