• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike thieves – is there anything they won't nick?
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

I've had my commuting bike nicked from outside Oxford train station.

I'm not overly surprised that a bikes been half hinched in Oxford, but I do wonder who wants an Ammaco hybrid with full guards and a rack?

Also, it was crap, plastic brake levers that flex to the bars, gears that shift if you stood up on the pedals, and a stem bolt which randomly comes undone. Surely the best you'd get for it was a tenner? And it was locked with an OK D-lock too.

So, what bike for not getting nicked?

z1ppy

thought the main requirment for theivies was that it had to be MTB shaped, dodgy looking old racers are supposedly immune
    (or that was the view for a long time anyways)

MrTall
    Free Member

Even if they only get £10 for it, it's all still clear profit and enough for their next fix of drugs.

Old racers do seem to be the best and just make sure it's never cleaned. I can't help but clean my bikes and even my hack is immaculate, was yours clean? They may have pinched it for the rack and the guards if they were worth anything?

I'd just get another bike like you had from the local papers/tip/ebay and put it down to experience.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Anti locking brakes, automatic power detecting gear shifts and auto adjust steering? No wonder it got nicked!
    That big lock you used gave away that it was actually an expensive prototype…
    Maybe 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

And it was locked with an OK D-lock too.

Obviously not, it appears…

Bream
    Free Member

I will raise you a 1970s ladies city bike with only a coaster brake, rust coloured as the paint has long gone, single speed due to no cable to the old 3 speed rear hub. Only just capable of transporting me the 5mins from the train station to work 🙄

Welcome to Landskrona, won't go into detail but lets just say that they have a small problem with persons from Eastern Europe integrating with Swedish civilisation 😡

Was locked up as well!

colonelwax
    Free Member

And it was locked with an OK D-lock too.

Obviously not, it appears…

Good point (Fred? Is that you?)

It's not the end of the world coz it was crap, and had never been cleaned, but I'm amazed that someone would nick something so shonky when I really doubt you'd get much for it 2nd hand. If anything.

I bought this one to replace me last one that someone gave me. It had been in a hedge for a few years so had the right look of crappyness, but was pretty unpleasant to ride.

Oh well, better have a look in the tip and see what I can find.

sweepy
    Free Member

I used to ride round liverpool on a hammerite black ladies shopper with a big red plastic box tied on the back with string, never got nicked and i didnt lock it either

allthepies
    Free Member

Hmmmm, do you think there's a market for stick on (but removable) "rust effect" tape ? 🙂

disco_stu
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

Hmmmm, do you think there's a market for stick on (but removable) "rust effect" tape ?

Already out there

CTML
    Free Member

Already out there

What has the world come to eh?

RealMan
    Free Member

My mate had his back wheel and left pedal nicked from his old knackered apollo full sus £129 or there abouts.

Who nicks one pedal?? Just one of those plastic things you can probably get out the bins at the back of a bike shop..

whippersnapper
    Free Member

my British Eagle town bike got pinched from outside my backdoor the other day – they will nick anything 🙁

colonelwax
    Free Member

My mate had his back wheel and left pedal nicked from his old knackered apollo full sus £129 or there abouts

That's kind of what I was getting at. This bike was about a £100 new, year ago.

Parts were crap, nothing you'd re-sell, I just don't get it.

Something you can sell or split the parts from maybe, but this sort of cheap bike?

avdave2

You only have to spend a bit of time in Amsterdam before you notice that the majority of bikes are secured with locks that clearly are worth far more than the bikes they are securing. So I guess there is no bike that won't get nicked.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

someone stole my seat collar (allen key, not QR). left the seatpost/saddle behind.

myheadsashed

Spray it pink they struggle with their feminine side 🙄

z1ppy

Nope, we bought a m8 a nasty £50 rigid MTB for his 40th & sprayed it garish pink (everything, seat, bars, even the tyres) he later gave it to a relative to commute on & yes it was stolen

GSuperstar
    Free Member

I had somebody nick my Fox 36's Blue screw cap that covers the schrader valve… Pointless. 🙁

cassin
    Free Member

Kona ??? 😀

Bream
    Free Member

^^^ 😆

DrP

I had both my bottle cages nicked from a secure lock up at work.
    Granted – they were carbon, but still quite a bit of gaul to nick them from a secure, video covered lockup!

DrP

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike thieves – is there anything they won't nick?’ is closed to new replies.