Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike storage solution
  • spooky_b329

After five years of struggling around bikes stored in the dining room and the spare bedroom, I think I’ve finally sorted a way to hang them out of the way:

IMG_0368 by Ollie and Sally, on Flickr

I’ve managed to hang four bikes and their wheels on a wall 2.5m long, with them protruding less than 600mm (500mm, excluding silly road bike drops) into the room (which is important as we walk past them from front room to kitchen)

If I stack the front wheels underneath, I can hang a total of six bikes, and still only need to move a maximum of one bike to access the others. If the wall was longer (or the fridge wasn’t there) they could all be hung from the saddles, meaning eight bikes on less than 3 metres of wall.

Its adjustable to cater for different frame sizes/full sussers, and cost less than £30. Unlike my last stand, the floor is clear so easy to vacuum up all the mud that drops off.

Thought I’d post it up as it would also work in a shed, or the back wall of a garage, leaving space for the car.

Its made up of the modular/adjustable shelving system, the one Screwfix sells is called Element Systems. I bought a twin pack of 950mm uprights, and a box of ten 370mm U brackets (6 of which are surplus). B&Q for some 15mm pipe insulation. B&Q is more expensive for the shelving, but cheaper for the insulation.

The only negatives so far, is the pipe insulation sometimes sticks to the frame and lifts the bracket off the uprights, meaning you have to hold it in place otherwise it risks falling on a bike underneath. I reckon some zip ties will hold them into the uprights. Also, if I could get longer brackets, say 450mm, you could still hang the wheels, or extra bikes, and still be well within the weight limit of the uprights and brackets.

IMG_0370 by Ollie and Sally, on Flickr

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=shelving+system

lee93
    Free Member

Art work!!

iainc

that looks good !

I would be a bit concerned about the radiator drying out the fork seals/bb etc….

kayak23

Ditto with the rad, but nice though.

spooky_b329

Good spot with the rad, its on a very low setting though 🙂

nealy
    Free Member

Brilliant set up, good work.

I wouldn’t worry about the radiator too much, sheds and garages get incredibly hot in summer.

djflexure

Genius

MarkN
    Free Member

Very smart…

spooky_b329

Just a short update on this in case anyone stumbles across the thread and tries it…

With a new addition to the fleet we’ve been hanging two road bikes and three mountain bikes off the wall on this system and its been great.

However, I would recommend getting longer uprights as you have to be careful to avoid sticking your chainring into the saddle of the bikes hanging below…with the upper and lower brackets as far apart as they go the clearance is just a few mm’s. (with a saddle height for me at 5’10”)

A more pressing issue, is the bracket for the top two bikes needs to be right at the top of the upright. This means the top screw has a lot of leverage on it, and over the weekend the rawl plug pulled out of the wall and the upright started to bend out. It was a good tight fit with a long screw as well. Might be why I woke up a few days earlier to find a wheel had dropped off and rolled across the room overnight 🙂

So, its off back to screwfix for a longer set of uprights! More screws above the bracket should make it much stronger.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage solution’ is closed to new replies.