Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike storage rack ideas for multiple bikes
  • wildc4rd
    Free Member

I’m in the process of sorting out some decent bike storage in the garage, something along the lines of the photo below. Its to store 8 bikes, so trying to keep it fairly compact. My main question, if the bike is hung from a hook on the front wheel, but still in contact with the wall (kind of as they are in the pic below, not free hanging), how stable are they, what is it going to need on the rear wheel/base to stop it swinging sideways into another bike.

I’ll probably stagger the heights, so have a short 250/300mm ramp on every other position to mitigate handlebar and crank/pedal interference. I’m a joiner by trade, so have all the tools and machines (and the wood) to do pretty much anything in timber.

Any other recommendations of rack style would be great, but its quite a few bikes in the least space so I still have some usable garage!

wwaswas

I hang all mine from the garage joists (hook on every other joist) – you need to position the hooks so that the weight of the bike pivoting on the wheel holds it against the wall and then they stay where they’re put. Hang them at about 45 degrees to the wall if you want – they take up less width. you can put a ‘stop’ block of wood at the right height to give the back (or front if you alternate the way you hang them to avoid bar clashes) wheel somethign to rest against.

STATO
    Free Member

As long as the wheel hook is somewhere similar to where it is in the picture (about 45degrees to the axle) then the bikes are really stable, they want to hang perpendicular to the wall. Mine are like that, no rear wheel support needed, infact its better without as it lets you swing bikes away a little to get middle bikes out.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Rear wheel could be slotted into a clug bike holder. I have a couple of these on the wall in the garage just for slotting the bike into if I want to give it a quick wipe over or lube the chain.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

scotroutes

Mine are hooked up alternately rear/front wheel so you can fit quite a few in a narrow space without bars clashing. They’re high enough to give me storage space below (watch for drips off wet bikes though) and they’re stable just hanging off those cheap hooks.

hooli

Mine have hooks on the wall at different heights to avoid bars clashing. Due to too many bikes a shortage of space, they are a bit closer together than I would have liked so it is handy to be able to swing them to the side when I need to. I wouldn’t put anything in to hold the rear wheel for this reason.

bigrich

if you screw a plank into the joists, then that frees up your hook placement. then the longterm storage bikes can be packed closer together, and the current favourite has plenty of room

wildc4rd
    Free Member

The deed is done! It would have been handy to have them a little further apart (but they do still just about come out, lol), the main thing was to leave an area so I can have a bike in the stand near the bench, and not be in the way of the up and over door on the front.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike storage rack ideas for multiple bikes’ is closed to new replies.