Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike snob faced with reality. Buying advice please.
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Having been pretty much convinced I was going to be getting myself a lovely Cannondale 29er with lefty fork, reality has come home to roost.

Up until now I have built bikes component by component, trying to identify the best deals as they arise. But right now I “need” a decent cross country bike, but want to keep my 26″ bouncer for funtimes and mountains.

I do have a lovely Croix de Fer which I was thinking could substitute for a 29er XC bike in the short term, but as I am entering a 5 day adventure race (in August) feel I might end up a little sore without the froont suspension.

2 questions then.

1. Has anyone else substituted a cross bike for XC bike and ridden multi day races without issue?

2. What good deals are out there (read frames worth upgrading) for between £500 and £750? CRC et al seem to have some heavily discounted bikes in that bracket, but nothing that screams “good deal” at me.

Dom

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think the croix will be tough – there’s a fair difference in fatique between my old croix and my tripster for a 3 hour ride, for example.

Wookster

HT or FS? Wheel size preference?

£650 29er stumpy frame?

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Stumpjumper-FSR-Comp-Evo-29-Frame-10833-92-0.html

njee20
    Free Member

Chinese carbon?

kilo

Not done 1) myself but one of the years I did sani2c a pairing used cx bikes iiirc their major complaint was the battering their arms and upper body took from the rigid forks they used, I think they were on steel cx bikes There is an article here http://fullsus.co.za/sani2c-by-cyclocross/ which may be of interest

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1. Has anyone else substituted a cross bike for XC bike and ridden multi day races without issue?

Not sure up North but down in this hemisphere there is generally is a stipulation that you ride a mountain bike in mountain bike races. Just check that one out

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I’d prefer big wheels, I don’t mind full bounce or hardtail, I may even consider rigid…

I should also have clarified that I am after a full bike rather than just frame.

The F29 looks good, but twice my budget 🙁

That article is interesting, not sure whether ireland is closer to Belgian fields or South African trails. Gut feeling suggests belgian fields though!

I also think adventure racing has less restrictions for bike type than normal XC races so I’m not overly concerned about that. But I will double check.

njee20
    Free Member

What’s your current FS? Unless it’s an utter tank I’m not sure a £500 29er will be better.

Voodoo and Boardman probably worth a look at that price, or second hand.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some new forks and run a fat wheel and tyre on your CDF

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There is one lefty cannondale for £999 on pauls.

I think it probably depends what you’re used to, most of my bikes are rigid, and whilst they still beet me up, it feels normal, whereas the “this is easy” (until I bonk) feeling of FS isn’t.

kilo

Which race in ireland are you doing?

harryjan
    Free Member

Same problem here…… The new on-one is tempting for the price

http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/bikes/mountain-bikes/maccatuskil

ampthill
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Moon on a stick.

Just ride your fs, you womnt be any slower.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike snob faced with reality. Buying advice please.’ is closed to new replies.