Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Bike of the decade?
  • geoffj

Inspired by the album of the decade thread, what has been the best bike of the decade?

Any MTB discipline.

Starter for 10 – Santacruz Heckler

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

All the bikes i have owned in the last 10 years!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

??? Is there one.?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Best bike unchanged for a decade
    The orange 5 (or the patriot, or the 224)? One of the few bikes to have had no major changes, just subtle tweaks, to the design in 10 years?

Most influential on our riding
    The old 5" spesh enduro? Probably the first bike to realy nail the "do anything 5" travel full susser" category?

Most coppied?
    The DMR Switchback, without it there would be no 456/PA/Soul, arguably the first british deigned, tiwanese built, 5" travel steel hardtail.

shortcut

I will throw my hat in the ring with four nominations:

Cove Stiffee, Turner 5 Spot, Santa Cruz Superlight / Heckler, Cotic Soul.

RichT

Agree about the 5, but surely the original Jekyll was the first 'do it all' bike, although it didn't quite have 5" of travel, (only 115mm at rear if I remember).

Surely the P7, deserves a mention too.

rockitman

Only been back into biking for a couple of years but from what I read I think you've nailed it already with either Orange 5 or Spesh Enduro.

Not that I have owned either…

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I'd have to say, for the amount sold, for simplicity, for accessibility, for fun, for value, for versatility and for general affection held for it and the brand generally, The On-One inbred would have to feature in the bike of the decade running.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought of the P7, but its nothing like it used to be (rigid, 60mm, 80mm, 100mm, 140mm) the one you can buy now bares pretty much no resemblance to the one form 10 years back.

The muddy fox courrier was a do it all bike too……………..
    I was thinking more allong the lines of (nearly) everyone now rides 5" bikes, and it was the first to realy sell that kind of bike and riding to the mass market. Arguably a lot of manufacturers would give their left testicle to be able to build that bike even today?

I_Ache
    Free Member

TINAS the Switchback really? Its ok but far from the best bike of the decade. And if it was so great and copied why did DMR drop it?

samuri
    Free Member

After the Inbred I'd say the Chameleon. Spawned a whole wealth of long travel, hard as nails 'fun' bikes. Also easily used as a geared or singlespeed.

flamejob
    Free Member

Yeah.. it's got to be the Enduro or Sub/5 for the UK; they stepped up mountain biking.

The main reason people bought on-one's was the price/performance, otherwise there is nothing that great about them

david_r
    Free Member

Yep. Spesh Enduro.

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Most coppied?
    The DMR Switchback, without it there would be no 456/PA/Soul, arguably the first british deigned, tiwanese built, 5" travel steel hardtail.

Prince Albert was based on the Morning Glory frame, which I believe was out at least a year before the DMR Switchback. And as far as I'm aware, 456s/PAs/Souls have never had a habit of the head tubes snapping off.

Back on topic – if I only have one vote, I'll vote for the Specialized SX Trail.

beaker

Ibis Mojo, One of the nicest bikes I've had the pleasure of owning.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

flamejob – Member

Yeah.. it's got to be the Enduro or Sub/5 for the UK; they stepped up mountain biking.

The main reason people bought on-one's was the price/performance, otherwise there is nothing that great about them

Not sure what else I look for in a bike other than great performance and value. Am I missing something?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Orange Five, other bikes have been around in the same way but I don't think any have quite stayed so on top like the Five…

Was riding with a chap on a Sub-Five recently and was amazed at how much stiffer and lighter they've made the five over the years despite it gaining a bit of travel in that time as well… (When you look at the two side by side you can see the ancestry but they're a mile apart to ride!)

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd go for the Five, and I'm not even much of a fan.

malchales
    Free Member

My 09 Giant Anthem X1.

grantway
    Free Member

Il have to go with the 5 bit like what Gary Lake says
    you put any of them side by side and you see why the changes
    have been made and all improvements, even changed again for 2009.

Think the next change will be a chain device if they can find one
    the fits and then it will have the 225 option on the rear shock.
    So more a pure Classic

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

As a down and outright fun 'mountain bike' the Five gets my vote too.

Although the Slingshot and Klein Mantra are close behind… 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@Grantway

I believe that the new Gamut double mounts on an external BB…

flamejob
    Free Member

@jimbobrighton

I'll qualify that; the On-One Price:Performance ratio is good. A bit like a standard Ford Focus; it's a good car, but nothing special.

Bumhands
    Free Member

I'd say this one just because of the column inches and speculation:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

"why did DMR drop it"

They made the trailstar LT in a 18" version (which is pretty much a switchback, only slightly heavier)

And the kinesis decade thingy looks awfully familiar doesn't it, you might even think they could be made by the same company………….

You could argue that the switchback came from the trailstar LT, which came from the trailstar, which realy does make it old (were back in the late 90's now!).

My oppinion on the snapping, they were bought by people looking for lightweight jump bikes (maybe they should have sold it as kinesis rather than DMR?), also the later versions without the ISCG mounts were subtly different to strengthen the headtube welds.

I'm not knocking the morning glory or prince albert, but I think the trailstar came first, and the switchback was an evolution of that
    (like the MG and PA, sub5 and 5).

stevomcd
    Free Member

Heckler was my first thought as well. Orange 5 too, for exactly the same reasons (very similar bikes really).

juan
    Free Member

RM6 end of thread.
    You can look at one and still say WOW.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

flamejob – Member

@jimbobrighton

I'll qualify that; the On-One Price:Performance ratio is good. A bit like a standard Ford Focus; it's a good car, but nothing special.

@flamejob Aye, fair point. I'd still say the inbred probably one of the classic bikes of the past 10 years, especially with features like the 5 piece seat stay design which did make it stand out from other hardtails. That, along with the quirky, anarchic(ish) branding and to be fair, brant richards marketing which did give the brand a distinct personality.

I'd agree though that the orange five probably does deserve it – I can't think of any other suspension frame that has changed so little in the past ten years, versus the competition that re-invents the wheel almost every year.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Planet X Jack flash as many many bikes were spawned from that design.

nickc

Are we talking UK sales, International sales? what's the criteria?

kimbers

how odd the stw massive seeming to agree that a single pivot full bouncer is best because its design has remained unchanged in 10 years?

well id say the kona stinky freeride and bombproof

and same design still going strong

falkirk-mark

The Kona stinky maybe bombproof but how well does it go up the hill? Only reason I am asking is most I have seen get pushed up the hill.

juan
    Free Member

how well does it go up the hill?

Well engough. I have seen people riding/carrying it up to the
    tour de larche (total ascent 2400m 600m of which is bike carriage)
    tour du mont viso (total ascent 2600m 800m of which is bike carriage)
    And through several transvesubienne.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My oppinion on the snapping, they were bought by people looking for lightweight jump bikes (maybe they should have sold it as kinesis rather than DMR?), also the later versions without the ISCG mounts were subtly different to strengthen the headtube welds.

That's what I thought the reason might be for the snapping. But I'm glad that I have the non iscg version. And they do look very similar to the versa the geometry is very close too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hi5's fellow switchback owning buddy!

The geometry is getting a bit old now (IMO) though, droping the BB an inch(to 12"), adding an inch to the TT (upto 23and a bit), lobing 2deg off the HA (reducing to 68.5) and raising the head tube slightly would be my improvements.

I like that its (now) slightly oldskool geometry though. 90mm stem's and steeper angels rock at trail centers, just gets a bit hairy in propper mountains.

noteeth
    Free Member

Bontrager Race, obviously.

Edit: even though it belongs to the 90s. 😳

david_r
    Free Member

The Kona stinky maybe bombproof but how well does it go up the hill? Only reason I am asking is most I have seen get pushed up the hill.

Kimbers, good news! it's not you…it's the bike!

jimmy

Enduro sprang to mind first. I had one in 2005 and ever since (and before) its the one bike I keep coming back to. I think they've over egged the 2010 version – too much travel on it. So the noughties Enduro will remain a legacy.

chakaping
    Free Member

how odd the stw massive seeming to agree that a single pivot full bouncer is best because its design has remained unchanged in 10 years?

I don't think people are saying what they think is the best bike of the decade, more the most iconic or significant one.

rs
    Free Member

The 2005/2006 Enduro

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Bike of the decade?’ is closed to new replies.