Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike Lights
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Folks,

After a dear five years my handlebar lights have sadly given up.

What can you boys on here recommend? Was having a look at the Hope ones, but things seem to have gone a bit more expensive since the last purchase.

Looking for something that can run bright (for trail and forest riding) for around 2-3 hours……

Answers on a postcard please!!

Ta!

stumpy01

Something bright from Deal Xtreme or Amazon for about £15-30 will do the job, so long as you don’t mind the risk of poor batteries and/or exploding chargers.
    Lots of people use them, some have problems, others don’t. Some people buy them and budget for a new battery and charger just for peace of mind.

I posted a link to some great value Moon lights on offer on Merlin the other day, that got pretty well shot down in flames for being expensive…..

http://www.merlincycles.com/moon-xp1500-front-light-55101.html

I’ve just got hold of a set and they are great. Well made and very bright. A friend of mine has been using them for a year with no issues.
    In the original thread, I offered to take some beam shots, but seeing as no one was interested I didn’t bother. If you want, I can do some shots this evening and post them up…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Solarstorm X2 with upgraded batteries do me approx 3hrs on brightest for bar light duties. Brighter than the Exposure Maxx it replaced, so size/weight/cost performance is spot on for me TBH. Haven’t tested in prolonged torrentials as yet…

stumpy01

Malvern Rider – Member
    Solarstorm X2 with upgraded batteries does me 3hrs on brightest

How much for the upgraded batteries? The battery for my old Spokeshirts light is getting on a bit (almost 4 years) and I keep thinking about replacing it. MTB Batteries are doing “X2 Solarstorm / Magicshine compatible Li-Ion Batteries” for £42 posted.

z1ppy

I’d throughly recommend MTB Batteries great service and warranty and he sell lights too, but there are cheaper options abttery wise, such as Big_F_d_d on ebay (£30/35 for 4400/6600mAh batteries)

Though the cheap as chip chinese stuff is good, if you want trouble free and a really good unit, look at Gloworm lights

z1ppy

It’s not silly to buy decent kit that has a great warranty backup, especially if you want piece of mind and confidence in the unit. I’d not want to enter a 24hr race with a chinese light or if I had the spare cash worry about paying extra for getting a superbly reliable light that I knew I could rely on working, when out mid ride..
    Don’t get me wrong, I have a SSX2 & numerous chinese lights before that & do recommend them, but of all my lights my old Troutie mini is the best/most reliable unit I have… I paid a lot for it compared to the chinese stuff, but it’s not let me down in 4/5 years
    Not everyone wants to source a light, then battery/charger seperately later when they fails to work properly. You make you choice and pays the money.

DezB
    Free Member

Nothing in the OP about entering 24hr races.
    There’s still a chance of failure with expensive (and/or) branded stuff. Kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
    Buy 10 sets of the chinese (yeah, cos branded ones aren’t made in the far east eh?!) for the same price as a set of Bettys or something and carry a spare at all times 😉

Yak

SSX2 with a 6600mAh fluxient battery from Torchy as mentioned above is still reliable for me. The supplied SSX2 battery was pants, so if you go down the SSX2 route, best to buy a head unit only then an aftermarket battery from mtb batteries/Smudge or Torchy.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

How much for the upgraded batteries?

Not sure as I bought mine in the classifieds, but seller did mention the upgrades were from Torchy The Battery Boy and as such guaranteed.

Yak

How much for the upgraded batteries?

£35 posted for the 6600mAh Torchy battery

jekkyl

what dezwold b says gets my vote, the cree ones purporting to give 1600 lumens are down to 11.99 on ebay from british suppliers with british plugs. by 2, 1 for helmet and 1 for the bars, you’ll dazzle anyone in front if you mind you.

rOcKeTdOg

(yeah, cos branded ones aren’t made in the far east eh?!) fo

Mine was made in Trouties shed (far east parts obvs) but machining of the case etc was done here so nuur!

z1ppy

Really good, silly to pay more these days IMO

I’d didn’t suggest the OP was a 24hr racers, I was responding to your throwaway comment, that it silly to pay more. It’s not silly, just a choice & if I was racing I would want a ‘better’ light, not a 20 spares just in case. As for them not being more reliable, yeah right have you seen the build quality of these latest really ‘cheap’ chinese lights? Even Lupines which I had major issue with (bunch of scum sucking barstewards) where built extremely well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike Lights’ is closed to new replies.