Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bike insurance WTF?
  • organic355
    Free Member

I have my bikes covered under my house insurance and up until now I was under the understanding that they were also insured out of the house.

I recently called Aviva (other insurance companies are available) to upgrade the amount for any one bike (after recent upgrades). They told me that the bike is only covered if it is locked to an immovable object. Fair enough i thought, so they are covered when they are locked to the bike racks on top of the car then?

NOPE!!!

They explained that as the car is a "movable object" then the bikes are not covered.

This may be worth checking out with your insurance companies?

DezB
    Free Member

Kinda makes sense when you think about it!
    Which is why mine are insured as a "Specified Item" rather than on a general bike insurance. Insured even for accidental damage in my case.

organic355
    Free Member

is that on your house insurance or separate policy?

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Mine are covered anywhere as long as locked or I'm riding it – just in case some scrote knocks me off.
    Cover is through Abbey and bikes are "specified" items on insurance. Costs a bit more, but nothing like the quotes I've had for cycle specific insurance. It's been many years since I had quotes, but cheapest was over £400 and that was cover on one bike only. Currently covered for FS, HT, son's HT and a…cough…road bike.

DezB
    Free Member

House contents insurance with Zurich. (Also means no upper limit on value)

MrNutt
    Free Member

Hiscox. job done.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

M&S the best

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance WTF?’ is closed to new replies.