Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike gear theft – Calderdale
  • russianbob
    Free Member

Firstly, hello and all that.

Secondly, I had a load of gear nicked from the work changing rooms last Friday; a Deuter Trans Alpine 30 pack, red Endura Stealth jacket, Endura 3/4 Spray shorts, flash&flare lights, M19 multitool, Park IB multitool, pump etc.

It’s a big, secure, office, so not able to ask everyone. I’ve been scouring eBay but no joy. Where would scum take old, dirty but decent quality bike gear to sell in the area?

Thanks.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Most likely they’ll use it themselves I’d have thought.

Sensible thing would be to get an email sent around the whole office asking if anyone knows anything. May be CCTV etc you can check.

Big, secure office on Wakefield Rd at Copley? Plenty of mountain bikers there – one works in the gym – ask around. Someone might know something.

russianbob
    Free Member

I’m not allowed to look at the CCTV – data protection apparently. And, apparently, even if I see someone with my bag I have to prove it’s mine before I can speak to them!!

Email gone out, nothing doing.

No one seen/knows owt.

Just can’t see someone using it themselves – not the kind of thing a biker would do, steal from another biker. Maybe I give people the benefit of the doubt too much.

Bregante

I’m not allowed to look at the CCTV – data protection apparently. And, apparently, even if I see someone with my bag I have to prove it’s mine before I can speak to them!!

Report it as a theft to the Police. They will seize any relevant CCTV and view it for footage. Sneak in thefts in office buildings is a common m.o and your local cops will know offenders who “specialiise” at this.

russianbob
    Free Member

Again, done that. Coppers haven’t contacted me. Insurance has paid out though, so I’m more just interested in catching them now.

Bregante

Do they know there is CCTV.? Contact them again and insist that someone attends to seize it. If they don’t, contact the response inspector and complain.

headfirst
    Free Member

CCTV…data protection…what a completely ridiculous situation. As Bregante says report it as theft. It’s going to cost at least a couple of hundred quid to replace all that. Or another option, tell work that you want to claim against their insurance as the loss occurred at work.

EDIT: Too slow with the typing 😳

ThePinkster

I don’t understand why the DPA stops you from being allowed to view the CCTV for specific purpose of identifying a potential theft?

Bregante

I can understand why the OP, as an employee shouldn’t be allowed to view it, however surely the CCTV operator (security or whatever) is employed for precisely that purpose?

grum
    Free Member

I don’t understand why the DPA stops you from being allowed to view the CCTV for specific purpose of identifying a potential theft?

Sounds like a cop-out to me using the DPA as a convenient catch all excuse.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So whats the CCTV for then?

You’ve taken a hit yourself by using your insurance to pay out which will result in more cost for you come renewal time. You’re knackered with that anyway now but I’d still be pushing for someone (doesn’t have to be you) to review CCTV to see if they can find the culprit.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike gear theft – Calderdale’ is closed to new replies.