Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike fitting – worth it?
  • scud
    Free Member

New to the world of road cycling plus i’ve moved from an area with great trails to Norfolk, so finding that on MTB i am sat still in one position for longer now doing long XC rides and have had a few issues with hands (not helped by hand surgery to repair tendon in thumb).

Has anyone had a proper bike fit, is it worth the paying to have both road and MTB looked at and my position on them? Got a number of 100 mile plus rides coming up so thinking the investment may be worth it, but also note there are a number of phone apps that look to produce the “numbers” for you (although i appreciate these can never be the same)

MrSmith
    Free Member

road, worth every penny.
    mtb, don’t know personally but possibly
    get one that looks at cleat set-up too

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Mr Smith.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Not worth it all. its a waste of money

scud
    Free Member

why?

eyerideit
    Free Member

A bike fit will cost about £200, then you’ll need to buy the new bits that are recommended. Most of the people I know who’ve had them have had it as part of buying a new bike. If you want 2 bikes fitting that’ll be £400 plus parts.

I’d look at new gloves/grips saddle position myself first. If you ride with someone regularly ask them to see/take some pictures and try to work out what’s making your hands hurt.

Is there too much weight one your hands?

Is your saddle position correct.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A bike fit will cost about £200

Most of the quotes I’ve seen are about £120. Still a fair bit of cash, but also a fair bit cheaper than £200.

xiphon
    Free Member

Visit different bike shops with different brands.

The same size (58cm, I think) Spesh and ‘Dale felt completely different when sitting on them.

‘Dale felt only about 5mm longer, but much better fit for me.

If I had ordered online, I probably would have opted for the Spesh, as it looked nicer – and ignorantly, I wouldn’t know how the ‘Dale (or any other bike) fitted by comparison.

Pridds

Had one with Mike at Bike Dynamic for my 29er as was getting some lower back pain and am doing the Kielder 100 so wanted to minimize any issues i might have on the race and during the training i am doing. It was a long drive and £139 but it was great. Lots of useful info and no extra parts to buy as i had a layback post that i thought i might need and the rest of the stuff was just getting the bike and cleats right for me. As well as looking at fit Mike has some great tools for analyzing how you pedal and how to help develop more power and help with efficiency on the bike. It is something i would recomend to anyone

DanW
    Free Member

I would second Mike at Bike Dynamics.

A bike fit may not solve every problem you have ever encountered on the bike but it will certainly identify areas to target for improvement. Bike fitting is an ongoing process and is well worth the money, especially considering the amount most of us tend to waste on our bikes.

scotroutes

I have a tin of snake oil here I could sell you for only £100

wellywheels
    Free Member

had a bike fit on all my bikes, makes a huge differance IMO.

best £100-£200 you will ever spend on your bike , IMO!

Adrian Timmis at Cadence Sport in barton i use!

hitman
    Free Member

wellywheels
    any more feedback on the bike fit at Cadence Sport – have been thinking about booking with Adrian but the first available weekend is in June!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike fitting – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.