Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Bike build dilema
  • crashmagnet
    Free Member

My kitchen is full of bike parts in various boxes and packages from the frame upwards ready to build. I am working today from home, the other half wants to get out on the bikes tomorrow morning and has stated I shouldn’t build it until Sunday when i have “time”.

I think I have everything I need and the only things that should slow me down are a rounded bolt head on one of my cranks (I will have to dismantle my scott spark 20 as part of the built to harvest parts) and cutting the steerer down to suit the new frame.

Do I:

A. Do exactly what she said and leave the build until sunday and go out on my old bike saturday.

B. Try and build it tonight in the kitchen risking the roth of other half as she tells me I should have waited until sunday and now we can’t go out on saturday if I don’t finish it.

C. Start building it now with one eye on the laptop in case anything important happens with work.

Andy.

Yak

A is the proper answer.

If you can manage work, then C is tempting. Get it all done before she comes home, then slyly bring it out for the morning ride tomorrow. You’ll have to get the fettling ride done today though. She won’t be impressed with your handywork if you ruin the morning ride by fiddling with gears/brake/whatever every 5mins though.

amedias
    Free Member

A.

because it means a guaranteed ride, both B and C introduce the chance of not riding therefore unacceptable.

scandal42
    Free Member

C – It’s just too exciting having all those nice new bits in the boxes, imagine riding a new bike, mmmmmmmm shiny

hilldodger
    Free Member

Build it properly and have 1 farewell ride on the current bike, plus the bonus of domestic harmony 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

amedias has it with A, though I’d be so tempted to do a high risk C.

Leku
    Free Member

A = slippers and a nice cup of tea
    B = staying out after saying you’ll just have the one
    C = danger wa*k

crashmagnet
    Free Member

LOL, C is awfully tempting

scandal42
    Free Member

Live life on the edge, you know it makes sense.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Depends how fast you are at building bikes I guess. I’d be temped by C, but that’s how I roll. But if there’s a possibility of you not getting it finished then A is the sensible option then you can take your time over the build on Sunday.

B is definitely out as you said ‘I think I have everything I need’, you might need something and bike shop is shut.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think I have everything I need

I bet this is not the case, you will need at least one trip out or wiggle order to cover unforeseen circumstances.

mrblobby
    Free Member

With C is there opportunity for a quick trip to the bike shop in case anything is missing or you balls something up? Only takes one missing or incompatible part, or a sheared bolt.

scandal42
    Free Member

Go for C, if you don’t get it built in time calmly inform her that you need to borrow her bike to get a decent solo ride in on the Saturday morning, also point out any jobs that need doing around the house whilst you are out.

Winner winner chicken dinner

crashmagnet
    Free Member

Well I have:

Nukeproof TR frame
    Fox FIT 150m shocks
    Hope headset (top from old bike, bottom cup new)
    Shimano Crankset from old bike
    Hope BB
    Direct fit front derailleur
    Gear cables and ends
    Hope Tech 3 E4 brakes from old bike
    Mavic EN521’s with Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs from old bike
    XT front and back shifters from old bike
    Rear cassette and XT derailleur from old bike
    Hope Stem
    Handlebars from old bike
    Hope head doctor from old bike
    Hope hub conversion kits for front and back
    New funn seat post (until i can afford a dropper) combined with old saddle

I can’t think of anything else I will need.

matt_outandabout

A, because experience says you are ALWAYS missing a widget / nubbin / bolt, or that a part needs faffage with or replacing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You confident in getting the headset out of the old bike? Crown race? The new bottom part of the headset may not have come with one (have a suspicion that the Hope ones don’t.)

Hoses on the brakes long enough? The Mega is quite a long bike.

Hub conversion kit for the rear, I think you need to take the hub apart, you ok doing this?

nemesis
    Free Member

Tim Roth?

This is why you need more than one bike. If you were better prepared then you’d be able to start now and if you didn’t finish, so what you’d have a spare.

Go and sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done. Disappointing.

crashmagnet
    Free Member

brake hoses are fine, the hubs are pro 2 evos so no need to swap the internals, just the end caps.

mrblobby
    Free Member

hubs are pro 2 evos so no need to swap the internals, just the end caps.

Are you going from 10mm to 12mm? I’m pretty sure you still need to swap the axle on the rear.

Edit… yeah, different axle.

Doube edit… well looking at the kits, they do look to be end cap only. Curious. Maybe you just need to change the axle for the 10mm bolt in option.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Id go C every time…

but then id totally balls it up, have nothing to ride all weekend, get sacked and the wife would run away with my boss.

bullroar
    Free Member

A, the other options attract risk. Additional benefit of A, you get to spend Sunday building a bike rather than being roped into some or other tedious chore.

crashmagnet
    Free Member

Moving from QR to X12 and all info I have says it’s just the end caps that need changing.

Just read the comments on the CRC page linked to the kit.

[/url]

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cool, yeah, looks like they all come with the 12mm axle now. Had to do the conversion on some non-evo Pro 2 a while back and needed to change the axle.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

C – any other answer is just because they are at work can’t do it themselves.

You’ll be riding a half finished frankendeathbarge tomorrow but it’ll be a NEW half finished frankendeathbarge.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I can’t think of anything else I will need.

Of course you cant – unforeseen things are, well unforeseen

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sooooo… A, B or C?

crashmagnet
    Free Member

C and done lol, pics to follow. Got a problem with the rear axle now which I’ll put in different thread.

crashmagnet
    Free Member

crashmagnet
    Free Member

scandal42
    Free Member

😀 Told ya

crashmagnet
    Free Member

Too much purple or not??

crashmagnet
    Free Member

crashmagnet
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Interesting brake lever angle

crashmagnet
    Free Member

Yeah, wound those up a bit since then lol. Would be pretty uncomfortable otherwise!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Bike build dilema’ is closed to new replies.