Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Biggest volume trail riding tyres?
  • geoffj

I know, and I’ll do 10 hail Marys, but help me out on this.
    2.4 rubber queens?

Clobber
    Free Member

2.4 Advantages come up pretty big…

RustySpanner

Bontrager XR4 in 2.35 is huge.

Just put one on the front, very good tyre indeed- grippy, very predictable and comfy at 20psi.
    Mines a tubeless one, but it’s got a tube in at the mo.
    If it’s as good in the wet as it is in the dry, it’ll be my new favourite tyre.

br
    Free Member

2.4 Nobby Nic’s are a good size, but the Bonty is ace for a front, if very, very slow.

continuity
    Free Member

Another for advantages. I can’t even fit the 2.25’s in my giant trance.

Onzadog
    Free Member

But how about in ust flavour as I think I just Keller me 2.3″ prowler on its second ride?

shortcut

2.3 Nevegals come up pretty huge and slow!

RustySpanner

Tyres are definitley getting better, ‘specially the cheaper ones.
    Can’t believe how good the Spesh and Bonty ones are now.

I reckon I’ve tried most of the Maxxis ones, particularly love Ignitors, but I’m just not paying over £30 for a tyre anymore, it’s ridiculous.

XR4’s for me from now on.
    Mrs S loves Spesh Purgatorys, another excellent high volume tyre for not much dosh.

Still got an Advantage and a Minion Supertacky as spares, plus a knackered pair of Cinders for emergencies, but I actually prefer the cheaper ones.

Northwind

2.5 Nevegal… Not that common but they do come in folding bead, weigh in at about 700g, and measure a genuine 2.5 across.

Rubber Queen has a lot of volume, they’re pretty wide but they’re also tall. Bigger in volume than my 2.4 Advantage.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2.4″ RQs are mahooooosive. That is a SCIENCE FACT.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

2.35 Hans Dampfs are a good size

loddrik
    Free Member

2.4 nobby Nics here.

Best trail tyre I ever had, 2.35 Vredestein Killer Bees, perfect for even wet trail centres, fast light and grip well on everything bar mud. Huge volume too.

dogthomson

I’m running 2.3 Spesh Resolutions at the mo and they seem absolutely mahoosive compared to the 2.0 Bonty Mud X I’ve just taken off!

bellys
    Free Member

Continental Der Kaiser 2.5 Black Chilli…..very grippy.
    took mine off for now and running Advantage 2.25 on the front with maxxis crossmark 2.25 on the rear.

Gribs

Of the tyres I have to hand the order is 2.4 Ardent > 2.4 Fat Albert > 2.4 Nobby Nic > 2.35 Small Block 8.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Bonty XR4 2.35 is big compared to the Nevegal 2.35 that it replaces. The XR4 size would be nearer to a Nevegal 2.5 if there is such a thing.

matt_outandabout

ADvantage 2.4 – like a motocross tyre…

cynic-al
    Free Member

the answer should be on mtbtires.com – the guy measures them rather than going 2WOW, THEY’RE BIG12

chiefgrooveguru

I do wonder if I’m the only person on here that owns a ruler, let alone knows how to use it… FWIW a pre-2012 XR4 2.2 measures ~58mm on a Flow and ~55mm on a skinny XC rim. International Mountain Bike mag (free online thingy) provide measurements on their tests – could we club together and get Singletrack and Dirt a ruler each, maybe even a nice metal one?

Matt24k
    Free Member

At what point is the measurement taken? Across the widest point on the tread or the widest point of the sidewall? The rim makes a difference as you have shown and the pressure will make small differences especially if the contact patch is measured.

chiefgrooveguru

Both ideally. Those were taken at 30psi. You can’t measure the contact patch accurately. How hard would it be to use a popular rim like a 719 or Flow to standardise the measurements? Mind you, you read the same wooly comments like ‘could use a shorter stem and wider bar’ with nothing to qualify what that’s in comparison to.

RustySpanner

Well, to be fair, the OP asked about volume, not width, so there’s no need to get snotty about people offering advice, is there? 😉

ampthill

The 2.35 XR4 must be big. The 2.25 are looking a bit tight on my bike. Bigger than 2.35 High Rollers by some way

youngrob

2.35 Hans Dampf are enormous. bigger than the 2.4 Swamp Thing that it replaced.

Northwind

chiefgrooveguru – Member

I do wonder if I’m the only person on here that owns a ruler, let alone knows how to use it…

Pff, rulers are for dilettantes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Biggest volume trail riding tyres?’ is closed to new replies.