Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Biggest drop to flat on your trail bike?
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Just wondering what the biggest drop to flat people would do on their trail bikes? Not that i want to do massive drops onto flat but wondering what i can realistically get away with if i cock up an attemped drop onto a slope. If that makes sense?

P-Jay
    Free Member

6″ normally, but slightly over 8″ when ‘angry’.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Define “trail bike”

3′ – 4′ on a hardtail. The biggest I’ve done on my Rocket are the 2 drops on The Matador at Innerleithen, which claim to be 8′ and 6′ according to the warning signs next to them (they don’t look quite that big in photos). The 6′ one is a pretty flat landing and bloody well feels it – much harsher than the supposdly bigger one further up the track! (maybe I’m not going fast enough)

Essentially, bend your knees on landing and it’ll be reet.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Order of importance –

Your ability and technique >>>>>>>>> what the bike is capable of.

Can’t put a number of it. If going into it, you’re relaxed and doing it like you mean it, you’ll get away with whatever.

Start going in half arsed, tense, you’ll get destroyed on a 1′ drop.

I dont generally do drops to flat, a bit pointless, but happily cased drop downs about 7-8ft in height on a “trail bike” and not died.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Ten foot, by accident due to following someone one their DH bike who said it was “a fast flowy track where everything was rollable” – Bar steward!!!

hairyscary

JonEdwards – Member
    Define “trail bike”

The biggest I’ve done on my Rocket are the 2 drops on The Matador at Innerleithen, which claim to be 8′ and 6′ according to the warning signs next to them (they don’t look quite that big in photos). The 6′ one is a pretty flat landing and bloody well feels it – much harsher than the supposdly bigger one further up the track! (maybe I’m not going fast enough)

Essentially, bend your knees on landing and it’ll be reet.

This, but on a Nukeproof Mega TR.

jamj1974

8′ by accident! Hit a set of stairs I wasn’t expecting and landed at the bottom… Landed safely on my trusty 2001 4″ travel Tracer.

Couple of summers ago landed 6′ to an uphil landing again by mistake. That wasn’t so successful…

beej

How high is an average kerb?

chiefgrooveguru

I think the only truly flat drops I do are on sets of steps – 3-4′ on the hardtail. My Soul must have done hundreds of drops like that over the past few years and it hasn’t broken yet!

On trails I often get perturbed by downhill drops which are blind, even when they’re as little as 1-2′ at the lip – I was practising one of these recently and despite it only being about 18″ high and possibly rollable, the vertical drop from lip to where my rear tyre hit the ground was actually 5′.

mtbel
    Free Member

Sorry to piss on your fireworks but none of the drops on Matador are to flat.

wiggles
    Free Member

Kerb height…

… Full on bus stop height ones though im not a pussy

tom200

Big enough to ruin my wheels! Not on a trail bike though, 3foot on a ht landing in a narrow gulley.

simondbarnes

About a foot

Junkyard
    Free Member

ore concerned by the the landing and the run in than the height
    not sure what the highest is I have done of late 4-5 foot I guess but most of the ones near me I object to the run in not the height itself.

yunki
    Free Member

about a foot or so, maybe a bit more if I’m ‘feeling the flow’

jakehinton
    Free Member

Bikes a mega tr so should really be able to take a bit of abuse. its just that im looking at some jumps/drops and thinking “i could probably make that but if i dont is it gonna do some damage?” I would be more inclined to try on a dh bike as im sure the extra travel would soak it up fine

Northwind

mtbel – Member

Pff, I huck the last one right to the fireroad.

nedrapier

6′ stair drops to flat concrete on a ’99 xc hardtail. There wasn’t a lot of single-track around nearby, but there was a LOT of steps. The bike took it all no problem, but I did split a 717 through the eyelets. Thanks to v-brakes, I noticed the rim walls bulging out and caught it before I did myself a mischief.

legend
    Free Member

mtbel – Member
    POSTED 13 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You never did see Ford going off them did you?

Xylene
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od231q6nbS8[/video]

Fantastic video

rickon
    Free Member

mtbel – Member

Pff, I huck the last one right to the fireroad.

Best reply, ever.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Biggest drop to flat on your trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.