• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Big cassettes?
  • ononeorange

I have a 36 -11 on my 2×10 29er and find on really steep stuff it’s not ole enough – but happy with the top range. It’s not just a fitness thing either – ridden behind other riders on a long climb and my cadence is much slower.

I need to replace cassette – does anyone know if I can get a 38-11? I don’t want to change chainrings too if I can help it.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Unless you get an extender (see one up, absolute black, hope trex etc.) that isnt going to happen, change the smallest chainring to a smaller one?

ononeorange

Ok I really wanted to avoid going near the chain rings as I great problems sourcing these ones. It looks like that will be the way to go though next time they have to come off.

Cheers

maximusmountain
    Free Member

What standard are they?

SirHC

What size are your current chainrings?

scruff9252

Focus your training on lifting your cadence. A fixed gear to hack around town or a set of rollers are good for this.

ononeorange

Apologies for the delay. Chainrings are 40-28, first time I’ve used shimano transmission and the issue was nothing seemed to be compatible (it’s something called dynasys or something, no idea what it means it came with the bike which is ex-demo).

I’m ok with the ratios round here, but proper big long climbs in Scotland over the summer saw me unable to keep my slower cadence as long as the other riders. Intend to do more of that so don’t want to fade out again in the same way.

Thanks

mcnultycop

Dynasis is Shimano’s own term, I think just for their 10 speed stuff. 24/36 chainrings would do the business.

ampthill

Focus your training on lifting your cadence. A fixed gear to hack around town or a set of rollers are good for this.

Hmm surely that’s the opposite. He is finding the cadence to low hence the desire for a lower gear

ononeorange

Thanks all. Ordered another 36-11 cassette plus a 26 chainring, will see how it goes.

Happy riding to all

lightman
    Free Member

You would be better getting a 40/42t adaptor instead of just dropping two teeth at the front.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a ghost 24 on the fat bike it’ll almost climb up a wall with that & a 36 at the back but more from the gyroscopic effect of my legs rotating in a blur, 26 should be perfect

ratherbeintobago

You would be better getting a 40/42t adaptor instead of just dropping two teeth at the front.

Not necessarily; there’s not a whole lot in it in terms of ratio, and running a double makes the faff and shifting compromise of a 42t adaptor a bit pointless.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’d be better off just getting fitter. 42 tooth cassettes? Have mountain bikers gone soft or something?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not just a fitness thing either

Yes it is 🙂

Can you not just go to triple chainset?

ononeorange

I find the double works well enough and with these ratios round here where we have little in the way of hills; however for when I’ve gone north my bottom gear is materially higher than others, which I can see following them up long hills, so I wanted to be able to drop a bit on long grinds so I don’t inevitably burn out first. A triple is a bit expensive / faffy for the couple of times away a year.

Getting fitter is hard as I only really have time to ride once a week and certainly don’t gave the luxury of good long hard climbs. So a smaller chainring it is – I barely ever go into it round here at all.

molgrips
    Free Member

A triple is a bit expensive / faffy for the couple of times away a year.

Well you don’t hve to keep switching it – there’s really no disadvantage to leaving it on all the time.

br
    Free Member

Lowest gear of 36T rear and 28T front on a 29er – rather you than me…

FWIW My 26er HT has 34T rear and 22T front running 3×9 while my 26er FS is 40T rear and 30T front, running 1×10.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Big cassettes?’ is closed to new replies.