Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • BHF Manchester to Blackpool night ride
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Anyone else doing this?
    Planning on riding back home to Rochdale afterwards to make a round trip. Not done it before so any pointers?

simmy
    Free Member

It always rains.

If its the same route as the previous years, it goes straight past my front door, about 1/3 way in so if you need anything let me know before the day 😀

I’ve never done it as I struggle with my bodyclock as it is, but it is busy and looks a good laugh.

MrSparkle

Here’s a link for the interested: http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/bike-rides/manchester-to-blackpool-night.a

I would but I have an appointment with some big hills in Yorkshire on the Sunday…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Rain does look likely I’ll admit! The ride itself shouldn’t be that hard on the body clock – its the 60 miles home afterwards that might be a bit odd…

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

If it’s anything like the London To Brighton night ride I did last year there’ll be fixie riders expecting to see their way with single LED backup lights and folks on all manner of inappropriate bikes.
    Don’t treat it as a race. Cruise, chat with strangers and enjoy being out with so many other people on bikes.

ransos
    Free Member

Rain does look likely I’ll admit! The ride itself shouldn’t be that hard on the body clock – its the 60 miles home afterwards that might be a bit odd…

I do a lot of overnight rides. I find my lowest ebb is usually around 4 to 5am, when I really struggle to stay awake (yes, it is possible to fall asleep on a bike!). That said, the distance is short so you might be in Blackpool by then.

I’ve not found the next day to be too bad in general, once I’ve had a fry up and a couple of coffees. I reckon you’ll find that ok.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ransos – plan is BIG breakfast in Blackpool then ride home before the coffee wears off! Thinking of heading back via west pennine moors but might be a bit much, not sure.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s a point – lights.
    Ive an exposure flash/flare set, enough or should i take the MTB lights?

crikey
    Free Member

Ransos – plan is BIG breakfast in Blackpool then ride home before the coffee wears off! Thinking of heading back via west pennine moors but might be a bit much, not sure.

I’m really tempted to join you, like really, really tempted, but I’ve been struggling with a hamstring strain for ages and a big ride might well kill me off.

When I’ve ridden to Blackpool before, the best way back has always been straight back down the A6 then either cut off past the Reebok and skirt around Bolton then Bury but you have to climb out past Fairfield hospital, or A6 to Pendlebury, past the old childrens hospital, down past Agecroft and the prison, but then you have to climb out to get to Heaton Park, Middleton, Rochdale.

You can go out over the moors, but it’s a climb from Preston all the way to the drop into Belmont…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ive got a bolloxed ankle, currently strapped up and sore. LOTS of ibuprofen being consumed…

Bregante

muddydwarf, I might be up for this (if I can get the time off)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

More the merrier, me and a female friend (just a friend!!) doing it at the moment. Just hope i can ride it, the ankle is damn sore right now.

ransos
    Free Member

That’s the way I’d go – lovely cycling round there. Head towards Chorley, then Rivington, Belmont, Edgworth, Affetside, Bury, then Rochdale Old Rd. IIRC, it’s hilly but not stupidly so.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I live not far of Bury Old Road so it would be my way home 🙂
    Apparently you can get a cooked breakfast at the finish, hope it’s a decent size !

Bregante

It would probably have to be a round trip for me as I live a few minutes ride from the start point

simmy
    Free Member

Have we got a list of riders off here then ?

I’m on the route as the signs went up last weekend so, if anyone needs any topping up of bottles, some gels let me know

milkyman
    Free Member

im doing it :-), if its not chucking it down, live in marple bridge and was going to cycle to the start

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well there’s me and two of my friends 🙂 think I’m ok on the gel front as i went a bit mad in Halfords the other day and bought 12 high5 gels – either I’m going to fart my way round or my teeth will dissolve!

sleepless
    Free Member

we did it last year. drove down from cumbria. my brother joined in on the night, met us in Blackpool. he was pissed up and did it on his mountain bike. it rained only on the prom. our mate was dragged off her bike by a pissed up manchester clubber (not my brother) and broke her wrist, but carried on to the finish.

It was a good laugh.

pendlechris
    Free Member

There are 5 of us from Burnley on this doing it on mountain bikes, weather looks alright, really looking forward to it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ll look out for you then, route is pretty flat so should be a nice run. Its the run home uphill into rising winds that worry me 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Well I will be the bystander on the A6 just after the car sales places and will be stood with a labrador so give us a wave

milkyman
    Free Member

Will do simmy, and I will be riding with a red carnation in my lapel so you can’t miss me 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Nice to meet you and your dog Simmy 🙂

simmy
    Free Member

Yeah cheers mate hope everything went OK for the rest of the ride 🙂

Some were still coming through here at 2am and I was only 11 miles in so it was a long for for some.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

We arrived on the seafront around 4am, set off at half twelvish and had took 3hrs 23min to ride the course. We set off back at around 6am and people were still coming in when we left.

Its OK for regular riders like us lot but some of the riders had clearly never done anything like that before and its them i take my hat off to, much bigger deal for them and the sense of achievement was clear on the shattered faces 🙂

Really nice event, fantastic having the roads to ourselves – plus we had a barn owl fly right in front of our faces along the sand dunes at Lytham St Anne’s!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘BHF Manchester to Blackpool night ride’ is closed to new replies.