Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best XC/AM wheelset – about/sub £200
  • nickdavies

I’m hunting for a bargain wheelset for a 120mm trail bike build. Looking for something middle of the road, don’t need superlight race wheels, but don’t want something full on downhill either. If it helps i’m 85kg, it’s a 120mm full suss and I generally ride trail centres/natural trails with a bit of AM, but nothing too mad, no drop offs more than a couple of feet.

Crossrides have cheap potential – but I think i’ll ruin them and the hubs get fairly naff reviews. Can’t stretch to hope hoops, and Shimano don’t really interest me as I don’t really have anywhere to do maintenance.

Anybody have Fulcrum wheels? I was eyeing up the RM5’s at about £170 or so but don’t think I can get a 15mm front for them, I notice they have released a new 2012 Red Power wheel which is 15mm and i’ve found them for about £160.

Superstar were the other thought but hunting around on here I see a few bad stories which put me off.

Cheers 🙂

legend
    Free Member

Superstar on Mavic 719s for £180 did the job for me recently! Just replaced a set of Fulcrum RM5s with them, would definitely have more confidence in the 32 spoke Mavic than the 24 spoke Italian numbers

wonnyj
    Free Member

SUperStar – happy enough with mine

hambl90
    Free Member

Superstar switch evo hubs with their AM rims have been great for me, no issues with them whatsoever.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Flow on Pro2 or Pro2EVO front and Flow on XT rear. See Merlin or CRC or other for the build.

enfht
    Free Member

719 on XT

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Some dirt cheap DT5.1 on hope pro 2 in classifieds, listed for about 130 which is under priced as pro 2 wheels typically go for 150+.
    Not the seller by the way, I’d have bought them if I was in the market.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have some WTB all mountain wheels for sale here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wheelset-15mm-front-qr-rear

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best XC/AM wheelset – about/sub £200’ is closed to new replies.