Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best way to post roll of carpet 15kg to Australia?
  • zaskar
    Free Member

I've been told £300 via royal mail 5 day but to wrap it up in bubble wrap etc sausage roll style.

But the insurance is only £50 cover for £800 carpet

wwaswas

cut it into A4 squares and send it in separate jiffy bags 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Difficult, it's a long item which limits your possible methods I suppose. Don't envy you that job.

iDave
    Free Member

can't answer the question but i bet this bizarre activity is required to keep a female happy…

tracknicko
    Free Member

try a removal company. there are a few of them that use shipping etc. for much slower transport of bulky items.

zaskar
    Free Member

Tribal cheif is right as no I wouldn't do it for anyone else!

Rolled it up into a 1 metre by 35cm blob.

Now off to buy bubble wrap and then use some card from bike wheel box and…

Bloody thing! ok stop moaning and get arse in gear but first-sandwich for the nergy needed to so such a task…

Oh how I wish I could wrap mysef in it…expect cleopatra and get fat hairy bloke wearing G string…ahh! 😯

uplink
    Free Member

Google 'groupage to Australia'

carbon337
    Free Member

not easier to buy one there?

iDave
    Free Member

carbon337 – don't be silly there is only one carpet she wants and it's not to be found anywhere in Oz

zaskar
    Free Member

Tribalcheif reads Zaskar's mind or has experience of picky lady who likes to make BF challenged and head hurt when I have a million things to do!
    😯

Thanks for the link uplink-have a company getting back to me with a quote now. :mrgreen:

theflatboy
    Free Member

there is a method that my sis used when she moved to aus, where it basically gets allocated to a shipping container which only goes once it's full. so you don't know how long it will take, within reason, but it's really cheap, as a result.

uplink
    Free Member

that'd be groupage

mudshark
    Free Member

No way would I put up with this – no doubt why I spend so much time arguing with my lovely lady….

29erKeith
    Free Member

uplinks got it Groupage is the only sensible option I think too

Hope your other halfs not in a hurry for it though, it can take a while

[written from my desk in a container terminal]

zaskar
    Free Member

One quote was £380 but I want it there within a week but more importantly insured!

@mudshark yep arguments but sometimes you just go the extra mile goes a long way with a lady-sometimes…

Post office £250 but insurance only up to £50? extra bubble wrap???

Thanks to everyone and spesh' uplink's help (again-STW to the rescue!).

😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

gropage? 😯

eckinspain
    Free Member

She wants you to post her carpet to the other side of the world and wants it in a week??!!

29erKeith
    Free Member

Is £380 door to door?

Van to Depot -> Load into container -> Lorry to Container Terminal -> Load Vessel -> Getting to OZ it'll probably be 'transhipped' (unloaded and loaded onto a different ship) a few times so more handling costs there ->
    Unload in Oz -> Lorry to Customs shed -> Unpack sort -> Van to your door

+ all of the paperwork customs clearances and fees shipping agent(s) and shiping line(s)

Sea freight isn't as easy at it may all appear, it's just not set up for stuff like that really. If you want a whole container with 1 groupage (1 type of things, 1 customs declaration as opposed to 50+ the way your carpet may end going) from a factory in china to a distrabution centre in Europe then easy and much cheaper.
    World wide most shipping lines and terminals have made a major losses this last year

there's a good chance if you sent it sea freight it'd end up going via China as thats where most of the UK traffic is bound and the same for Oz too.

Courier/air freight TNT, Fedex and the likes are a little more joined up door to door put you pay for it!

iDave
    Free Member

you could just 'say' it's been shipped……

29erKeith
    Free Member

😆

Blame Somale Pirates a month or so later
    and buy a new one in Oz the with the 'Insurance Money' 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

I tried that already but I'm a terrible liar-she's a female psychologist therefore I'm doomed.

Right need some tape and stuff…

Googles Blue Peter…

theflatboy
    Free Member

uplink – Member

that'd be groupage

ah right, was wondering if it was – didn't know the name for it. got to be that…

PePPeR

Try Parcel2Go for a quote.

PePPeR

roughly 88 quid using fedex through them.

oh and plus the vat and insurance it will be around the £110 mark, still nearly a third of the price you've quoted so far.

odannyboy
    Free Member

burn it , post the ashes, along with a letter saying shes a controlling, phycotic nutter with a carpet fetish who needs to wise up to the real world (remember haiti, where everyones dieing in poverty!!??) and then dump her and get on with the real buisnes of the rest of your life!Plus donating the saved funds to charity!jeeezz

Rant over? was that a litle harsh?maybe ive had to much coffee today? 😯

skidartist
    Free Member

Find someone who needs to repatriate a corpse to Oz, roll the corpse up in the carpet and go halves on the shipping.

zaskar
    Free Member

It's actually not carpet! but some sort of fabric I'm told for curtains but the lady who makes them is going away in 2 weeks etc so needed asap and I'm glad I'm not tripping on the dam roll in the lounge etc.

So packaged the 27kg basket' and used Parcel force and insured it for £900 and 4 day delivery cost me £315.

As a thank you she payed for my new road bike that I had on 0% finance 😀

I already donated £50 to Haiti!
    -ppl are still buying cars/bikes instead of donating the funds there!

qwerty
    Free Member

is it not of the flying variety ❓

mikewsmith
    Free Member

damm was going to offer to take it

zaskar
    Free Member

Hey you can take me in your suitcase!

😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best way to post roll of carpet 15kg to Australia?’ is closed to new replies.