Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best tyres for ghetto…..
  • nickegg
    Free Member

As above really. Currently run 2.1 Kenda Nevegals (Stick-e front, DTC rear). However, rear is getting tired and both have been punctured many times so may not be a good start to going tubeless.

Also have a pair Mountain Kings 2.4 Protection, great at trail centres, not so good around Bristol, Quantocks and Exmoor.

So…..what would you recommend? Quite fancy Maxxis Advantage. Your input would be greatly appreciated especially if you’re local to South Bristol.

Frankers
    Free Member

GEAX Barro Mountain 26×2.3

Often overlooked and not so popular in the UK (and this forum) but great grippy tyres, fast rolling too

Me and 2 mates all have them running tubeless (ghetto & Stans) with no problems

CRC have Marathon version (same thing) on offer at the moment

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9841

I’ve ran 2.4 Mountin king before and hated it on the rear, due to running the trangle square edge first makes it really draggy

Also have Maxxis Ardent on hardtail at the moment but prefer the Geax

nickegg
    Free Member

oh….Is this one too many Ghetto Tubeless then??

Anymore suggestions?…..Please!

eviljoe
    Free Member

I’ve used continental verticals and they work well- tight fit on the rim though!

MOJOK
    Free Member

Nev.s have always sealed up nicely for me. ( stickE 2.35 front and back for me)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Kenda Nevegal dual compound whatsits here, 2.5’s. People said Id have trouble sealing them but I didn’t think it was that hard.

GW
    Free Member

old Michelin comp 16/24s are easily the best tyres for Ghetto tubeless set-up and reliability but only really of any use to you if you’re planning on riding only DH.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve got the same Nevegal setup as you as they were rubbish with tubes – pinched and holed tubes all the time. As tubeless I think there good and grippy for Mendip/Qs if rather slow in good conditions.

I have only praise for Maxxis Advantage which I have tubed on my HT – they grip fine, roll faster, corner solid and don’t puncture much. By accounts I’ve read, Maxxis are the best tyres for tubeless too – guess what I’m going to do when my Nevegals get tired?

Did I mention they are cheap?

nickegg
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Looks like Maxxis Advantage could be it or just stick with Kenda Nevegals.

hmmmmm…..decisions, decisions…

mboy
    Free Member

FWIW I converted my new front wheel to Ghetto last night. A Mavic EN521 rim, and a Bontrager ACX 2.35″ TR tyre. The tubeless ready Bonty was a sod to get on the rim with the “rimstrip” in place, but once on it inflated very easily, and didn’t require that much sealant. It also sealed in no time. Pumped it up, shook it about for 20 seconds, job done! No air loss overnight at all… From what I’ve seen of some far more porous tyres it can be a right faff getting some of them to seal.

devs
    Free Member

Got Swampthings on at the mo but I’m just about to replace them with 60a Highrollers for the summer. Swampies have been great particularly in the snow and on wet roots. The theory is that I’ll fly along on the lower rolling resistance of the HRs too!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best tyres for ghetto…..’ is closed to new replies.