Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Best tyre sealant and levers
  • simon80
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Just checked my tyre sealant levels after 6 months and the rear had none!
    So is Stans still good or has there been recent improvements?
    Also just snapped a tyre lever of the free variety, would I notice the change to an expensive set, if so which?
    Thanks Si

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Stan’s. Or Slime if you use CO2. Best leavers are the UK.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stans. I put around 3 scoops in and I shake the wheel every week. If not sloshing, put more in.

Leavers or levers?

Tyre levers – any normal plastic ones. If struggling to get on/off the rim, ensure the bead is sitting in the well of the rim. Much easier and won’t snap a lever that way.

Metal levers in my opinion risk damaging the rim. There’s some flex in the plastic ones and softer than the rim.

alexpalacefan

Plastic levers?
    Pedros.

APF

simon80
    Free Member

Thanks for the spell check 😳
    Edited now…

simondbarnes

Stans
    Pedros

RobHilton
    Free Member

Pedro’s levers.

Stan’s is good, Bluedoc is Stan’s.

Currently using Hutchinson Protect’air; seems fine aside from silly use of apostrophe. Is available in handy 5 litre vat for cost efficiency.

wrecker
    Free Member

Maxxis levers are the best I have used. I snapped pedros previously.

Pyro

In the normal spirit of “recommend what you use”, I really like the Stique levers I’ve got.

https://stique.bike/collections/levers

fifeandy
    Free Member

Pedros levers – virtually unbreakable, and if you do they replace for free.
    Not tried it myself, but Orange Seal always seems to get the best results in sealant tests.

akira

Stans and bontrager levers here.

jimdubleyou

I’m using Orange Seal Endurance. Supposedly lasts longer than Stans.

Performs as well as Stans – had it seal up a 5mm cut left by a flint. Heard a hiss, but it sealed after a few seconds. Top up with air and good to go shortly after.

Northwind

Pedros levers are alright- strong, but fat which is a downside with tight tyres. I really rate Lezyne power levers, they’re not as strong- I’ve broken the tips off a couple- but they’re better at putting tyres on and off, they just have a better hook shape than anything else I’ve used so they sneak under tyres more easily and need less slack to work (which means less force required, easier to use…)

oldnpastit

I use the JRA stuff here:

http://www.justridingalong.com/accessories/tubeless-sealants/wheel-milk.html

It’s been fine.

I think if you’re breaking tyre levers you’re doing it wrong. +1 for Deadkenny’s comment above.

prawny

Just finished off a bottle of Stans, I’m getting Orange next I think.

Levers wise I’ve always gone with the blue Park ones, but I got a topeak one in a rush from evans and that’s dead good too. these

chestrockwell

I’m still using some Specialized levers I got years ago. Metal coated in plastic. Great shape and never fair to remove tyres.

DezB
    Free Member

The Leavers gt900uk posted.

Sealant: Stans is pretty good, Hutchinson a bit better (but pricier), Mavic excellent in road wheels.. just bought some Juice Lubes but haven’t tried it yet.

DezB
    Free Member

Leavers? 😳

PrinceJohn

I’ve recently converted from Stan’s to orange seal and it’s noticeably better than stans, sealed up the tyre straight away.

Yak

I’ve noticed that stans race seals up a tyre much quicker than regular stans. Can’t comment yet on longevity though.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

effettomariposa caffelatex sealant has been pretty good for me.
    Always used Stans previously, but fancied a change and I’ll buy it again.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Park levers for me, never had an issue with a skinny plastic lever (only ever fitted trail tyres, nothing heavy duty like DH etc).

Biggest praise I can give the orange sealant is I haven’t given it a second thought since pouring it in.

onewheelgood

Stans really doesn’t last very long. I had a puncture on one of my bikes last week, when I checked the sealant had gone dry – less than 6 months since I topped it up. Thought I’d better check the other bikes – all the wheels with Stans needed topping up, the one with Slime Pro in it was fine after 2.5 years.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Tyre levers – any normal plastic ones. If struggling to get on/off the rim, ensure the bead is sitting in the well of the rim. Much easier and won’t snap a lever that way.

This.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I had a puncture on one of my bikes last week, when I checked the sealant had gone dry – less than 6 months since I topped it up.

That’s a hell of a long time to leave any sealant IMO. Check every 3 months I’d say.

TiRed

Orange sealant and Topeak Shuttle 1.2 lever. These two bad boys have installed and sealed some seriously challenging road tubeless tyres. The levers are essential for removal too!

Park levers are too thick to lever the bead over the rim. I’ve snapped Zefal levers on some tubeless tyres, but use them for normal clinchers.

onewheelgood

That’s a hell of a long time to leave any sealant IMO. Check every 3 months I’d say.

Well, my point was that if you were using Slime Pro, it wouldn’t be a hell of a long time. If you are using Stans then clearly it is far too long.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Levers likely to damage your rim and as happened snap.

Use your boot to trap the tyre on the floor then push the wheel towards the ground. Works for getting that last bit on off the wheel. No levers required.

Works for breaking the seal to. Uses a lot lest energy. Only need levers to flip the tyre bead on off.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Six months. Yeah I guess any tyre would be flat after that amount of time. Top up stans every six months

benp1

@pawsy_bear – don’t really understand your technique?

Stans here. Had the Park levers but don’t rate them, Pedros ones are much better. Have some free MBUK ones too which are the same as the pedros ones and work as well as them

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sealant dry out depends on various things though. Porousness of the tyre sidewall, number of punctures you get (and may not notice because they seal), temperature where the wheel is kept, use or non-use.

First batch of a sealant may not last so long as the next in the same tyre because the first gets used up a lot in sealing micro holes.

Other thing is while a brand may not dry out and seems to last longer, does it actually seal a puncture as well as the other brand?

JackHammer

Pedro levers

Stans sealant.

duckers
    Free Member

I’ve been using fenwicks in schwalbe sv29a lightweight tubes for a few years, it works very well and its not latex based so doesn’t dry out in the tube, I think it would be rubbish as a tubeless sealant though as its a bit thicker than stans and the like. Not sure if they make it anymore though…
    Levers – Pedro’s milk lever I got free with mbuk about 25 years ago, great value 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Best tyre sealant and levers’ is closed to new replies.