Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Best spec bike for £1000 rrp
  • hooja
    Free Member

After a donor bike to build onto a cotic soul, out of the thousands of bikes out there does anyone know one with a really good spec for around £1000 rrp, ctw scheme deal you see! ideally around xt fox float type spec.
    im wondering if brands i never look at like ridgeback db etc have better specs than others. cand be FS, HT whateever as frame will be sold on

sofatester
    Free Member
    z1ppy

Boardman, not seen better spec'd for the price.

EDIT: Doh! Too slow.

hooja
    Free Member

Yep, seen em, gutted though, fork is too short, im after something around 130mm, rest of the spec is a blinder though, for the money

warpcow
    Free Member

CRC had some random brand a while back that had an excellent spec. for the price (comparable to the Boardman but a little more 'hardcore'). Can't remember what it was called though. There was a thread about them here and how they seemed to be excellent donor bikes.

Jamie
    Free Member

Boardman….you can always sell the fork?

z1ppy

you do know Reba's can be extended up to 115/120mm?
    Doubt that last 10/15mm would be a huge loss.

cookeaa

Two of our MM team are on C2W funded Boardman Pro's, very light excellent spec for the money, frame doesn't look bad, I think you'd be very hard pushed to beat it for "off the peg" desirability and function…

khani
    Free Member

warpcow=this one
    worth it just for the bits
    small only though

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41724

hooja
    Free Member

this is good stuff, id seen the boardman but not the gt or genius, they are all very good spec, im thinking the gt would have the greater resale value for the frame

glenp
    Free Member

The CRC link is spectacular value. The fork alone is nearly worth that.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

if your after parts, its always worth a look on the classified, loads of second hand hardly used parts going on there. thats where pretty much all the parts for my new build are from

BoardinBob
    khani
    Free Member

i thought that
    nice frame+the genius bits=posh bike
    id ask how long the steerer is though if its off a small frame and your on a medium/large frame

cookeaa

Having picked up that Boardman and been stunned at just how light it is I reckon the frame must have some resale value, you could make a proper racing snake, silly light machine based around one I reckon…

GT? Meh; lesser spec (still not bad though), longer (but cheaper) fork…
    The frame will almost certainly weigh more, both are “Halfords bikes” so the stigma that goes with that will affect both resale values…

nickegg
    Free Member

The spec of that Genius is amazing!!!

glenp
    Free Member

Good point re steerer – although they usually leave a stack of spacers in, and I always have my stem down on the headset.

hooja
    Free Member

How did i miss the orange crush, that looks like the mofo for me!
    shame its sram though! need to look into it as im a thumb shifter man and would want to swap shifters over.

SamB
    Free Member

I did exactly the same thing with my last c2w bike – already had nice frame + forks so got a custom build and pulled the parts off.

I got a Merlin Malt 1 then custom-spec'd it up to £998 – might be worth looking at if you're picky about spec, but that Genius looks like great value for the parts on it.

Merlin link: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/custom-mountain-bikes/merlin-mountain-bikes/merlin-malt-11.html

tinsy
    Free Member

The genius cant be beaten surely for what your after…

or just not bother with your cotic frame buy the crush and ride it as is… It great..

In fact I would ay pretty much the same about the GT, nothing against Cotic, there lovely, but the GT will cut the mustard too..

allthegearandnoidea
    Free Member

The sram x7 shifters are thumb shifters. Have to shift both ways with your thumb.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

Boardman all the way.

hooja
    Free Member

by thumb shifters i mean old skool top of the handlebar jobs!!!
    never used sram so dont know how compatable they are with shimano (already got some shifters i would like to use)

glenp
    Free Member

You've got 9 speed thumbshifters that you're going to put on?

br
    Free Member

Buy for the fork, its the most expensive item.

Graham_Clark

Just don't forget that until you pay off the C2W bike and buy it from your emplyer you aren't allowed to sell it, etc. as it isn't yours and if your emplyer or the Inland Revenue check then it would be theft!!!

Crell
    Free Member

The other one is the Cube Ltd, though the boardman edges it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Best spec bike for £1000 rrp’ is closed to new replies.