• This topic has 34 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Best self contained light for helmet-
  • lardman
    Free Member

I’m currently, and have only ever run lights with external battery packs. MTB batteries mostly, which are fab.

But, I want a helmet mounted light, with batteries internally. This is because with some SWAT type tools I want to ditch the backpack. On the bars I use a good 1200 lumen light, which runs easily for 3hrs on full.

I want a helmet light that will do 3 hrs on full, has a few modes, doesn’t weigh a ton, or cost a packet. It also needs a solid mounting system, not a rubber band.

Moon is beautiful and red tonight, so I may be asking for it on a stick.

Suggestions?

submarined
    Free Member

I picked up one of these the other week:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-macro-drive-duo-700/
    Sold out at that price but may be available elsewhere. It’s bloody great. Light, lasts yonks, super bright. I think it does about 2 hours on full? Which is very, very bright.
    I’d have thought you’d be lucky to find a self contained one that doesn’t weigh a ton, cost a bomb, and that would do a very bright 3 hours, wouldn’t you?

jonnym92

I bought a Blackburn Central 700 for about £30 a few weeks back. It’s pretty good. It mounts onto a GoPro mount so nice and sturdy.
    It won’t do 3hrs on full (700 lumens), maybe 1.5hrs, but I toggle it between medium(400lumens) and high and seem to be fine for 2/3hr rides.
    You can also replace the battery by unscrewing the back cover, so potentially carrying an extra battery could be a solution.
    Other than that you’re probably going to want an Exposure light.

tall_martin

I have an exposure diabolo.

Over 3h run time togling between high and low. But low is as bright as my bar light

Simple to use, good helmet mount.

Wish I’d bought one years ago 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions. I thought I may be getting into the Exposure territory with my list of features.

I have a Lezyne light which I have used, but it won’t get 3hrs and be bright enough to ride trails with. Fine as a road light, but not off-road.

Maybe a battery swap halfway through the ride is a good idea. That would open up a fair few more options.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not sure exactly what you mean by self contained but the headband type with rear battery box is a good design that’s very stable and balanced and does not catch on branches.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Exposure. Expensive but great kit (switching oddities aside).

tomhoward

Think hope do the r2 as an all in one unit now (I have the battery pack one and it’s ace, just put the battery in a pocket, but appreciate that may not be an option)

lardman
    Free Member

By self contained, I mean something where the battery is contained within the light unit itself. Not something with an external battery.

alanf
    Free Member

I picked up a Fluxient U2 from torchy the battery boy on ebay.
    It’s a great light, bright and good beam spread and pretty cheap at about £40.
    It also fits in an exposure mount.

http://www.torchy.co.uk/product/fluxient-u2-mini-front-light-with-2600mah-battery/

tomhoward

By self contained, I mean something where the battery is contained within the light unit itself. Not something with an external battery.

I know
    R2i

pdw
    Free Member

3 hrs on full

Surely that depends how bright full is? Most lights have a full mode that lasts considerably less than 3 hours, but that doesn’t mean the lower modes aren’t usable.

Most lights are using the same technology – 18650 Li Ion cells with Cree LEDs. More than one 18650 cell on your helmet would be pretty heavy, so there are no miracles to be had in terms of brightness and run times: a decent LED and battery will get you about 1,000 lumens for about 1.5 hours.

What does make a big difference is beam shape: a slightly narrower beam will be much brighter for the same number of lumens.

Have a look at the Moon Vortex Pro. Can be had for less than £35 from Merlin at the moment, and includes a helmet mount and has a removable battery so you can get a second one and swap mid ride.

teethgrinder

Similar to the Hope R2i is the Evolva X8 (also badged as the Nitenumen X8) I picked up 2x Evolva’s from Amazon earlier this year and they are pretty damn good for the £37 each I paid.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’re not descending for three hours are you?

Why can’t you switch it to lower output on the climbs like the rest of us?

prawny

I’d say exposure too.

I’m a cheapskate so use a cheapo 18650 torch for MTBing but I’ve got a Link for commuting and everything about it is great.

Happily the mount also fits my cheapo torch.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I recently purchased an Exposure Joystick, it is perfect for night rides.

Compact, lasts ages and is super low profile using the supplied clamp through helmet mount.

They were on offer at Cycle Republic via Halfords for £120 using BC discount it was £100 on the nose, bargain!

I have been through my fair share of ebay specials, this is miles ahead.

I still use an ebay/amazon special on the bars.

Yetiman
    Free Member

3hrs on full is pretty good going. My 1600L Four4th helmet light will easily do 4+ hrs, which has a separate 3300mAh pouch battery, but that’s toggling between high and low settings. They also do a cordless light these days but the burn times aren’t close to your requirements.

https://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorch/

The MyTinySun Folkslight might be a good option too.

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/mytinysun-folkslight-2000-lumens-integrated-battery-designed-and-built-in-germany.html

lardman
    Free Member

@chapaking….
    i’m not, unfortunately descending for hours, no. but i am keener to use my 1200 lumen bar light to toggle on/off as it has a bar switch, whilst leaving the helmet one alone.

the Moon light looks good, but i’m not sure about how it mounts to a helmeyt? i have a couple of Moon rear lights which are fab, but the mounting system might not be very secure on a helmet.

When i say 3 hrs on full, i’m looking for something like 600 Lumens sort of power. Focussed beam with 1 lower power mode, and maybe a flashing one too.

I’ll check out the Hope light, as that might be an option.

The Diablo is looking like the right option atm.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Having just bought a Diabolo and a Joystick, they are definitely the way to go, no cables no faff.
    I think the Joystick is the better option, as it has a longer runtime and a slightly narrower beam.

craig24
    Free Member

alanf – Member

http://www.torchy.co.uk/product/fluxient-u2-mini-front-light-with-2600mah-battery/

Got the same myself, highly recommend it.

swoosh
    Free Member

craig24 – Member
    alanf – Member

Got the same myself, highly recommend it.

I recommend mine too.

I’m interested in how it fits an exposure bracket. I have an old joystick mount but it doesn’t fit that. Alanf – which mount does it fit for you?

lardman
    Free Member

Thanks all, for the suggestions/input.

craig24
    Free Member

EDIT – Just realised I’ve already shown you this!

I’m using this mount with an extra cable tie round it just to be sure –

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-helmet-mount-for-150-300-450-500-lumen-front-lights-with-gopro-attachment-EV244793

jam-bo

Just bought a exposure axis mk5 for just that. No bar light, 1150lm on full power for 90mins, easy to turn up and down. Fairly low profile and only 120g.

First ride tonight.

pdw
    Free Member

The moon mount is very secure. It straps onto your helmet and then the light clips into the mount. The only downsides to it are that it mounts the light quite high, and the angle adjustment on the light is quite coarse – one “click” may be too high and the next too low.

I’ve used it for a 3hr night cx race and it was OK on the setting that would last that long. For normal rides I tend to toggle between that mode and full power when needed.

nixie

I’ve not long bought a diablo. Well made and solid but imo the runtime claims are a joke. I got battery warnings around the hour mark dispite toggling between high and medium. Should have been good for the hour in full! Also think the tap feature is a bit rubbish. Keep finding the light has changed mode part way down a down hill!

sl2000

The Fluxient U2 doesn’t fit in a Joystick bracket. It does fit perfectly in a Lezyne Micro Drive mount (like https://www.evanscycles.com/lezyne-helmet-mount-kit-for-micro-macro-lights-composite-EV176514 ).

benp1

Diablo or joystick would be perfect for your needs. I have both and they’re great. Having two 18650 batteries on your lid would be way too heavy

@nixie, you can turn TAP off or change its sensitivity. Personally I really like the feature, when I can give myself a second to release a hand and tap my light!

crazy-legs

Another vote for Exposure. The base level Diablo (Mk9) at £209 is perfect for a helmet light.
    I’ve got one of the older models and it’s bombproof, still going strong 3yrs later.

jecca
    Free Member

do those lezzie mounts hold the fluxient mini tight, looks better than the torchy helmet mount for sure

kayak23

teethgrinder – Member
    Similar to the Hope R2i is the Evolva X8 (also badged as the Nitenumen X8) I picked up 2x Evolva’s from Amazon earlier this year and they are pretty damn good for the £37 each I paid.

I have the Evolva and literally received my Nitenumen today.
    It looks the exact same but comes with a better bar mount.
    However, it only seems to have 3 modes, dim, light, bright, compared to the Evolva’s light settings and additional blinking settings.

nixie

@benp1 I like the idea of the feature but it’s just too sensitive, even in the least sensitive setting. Got one more thing to try (incase it’s the weight of the light causing it to move) otherwise I’ll unfortunately have to turn it off.

jam-bo

Couple of rides in and pretty impressed with the axis. Plenty enough light to ride DH tracks at night at speed. Haven’t quite worked out how to change the power modes though. Thought I had but seems to have reverted back to default.

And hacked the montaro mount together with the exposure mount.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Looking at the Diablo for a helmet light this Xmas
    Can you get 2-3 hrs run time out of it cycling between low-high ?

benp1

Many different settings on it. My normal song is the three hour and ten hour seeing. That will clearly be fine for you

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Best self contained light for helmet-’ is closed to new replies.