Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • best rear mech for muddy cx race?
  • sefton
    Free Member

my rival rear mech got so clogged with mud yesterday my hanger snapped and buggered the mech up.

whats the best mech for mud?

does the 105 shimano mechs work ok with sram levers?

bones76
    Free Member

Where you at Beacon too?!!

wwaswas

Singlespeed is the best rear mech for mud 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

cheap ones.

Sram and shimano don’t mix.

As above, SS is best.

sefton
    Free Member

yeah was at Beacon mudfest! was all going quite nicely too!

not going ss btw.

Edric64
    Free Member

Alfine ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

One attached to a clean 2nd bike (every other lap).
    I’ve left a bucket a sponge in the pits and cleaned my bike myself during the race before now as it loses less time than riding with no gears.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Don’t race what you can’t replace is the saying.

sefton
    Free Member

bone76 – where you? do you ride for anyone?

bones76
    Free Member

Am a member of VC Cumbria as I used to TT a while ago but have recently moved down Preston way and am just getting into CX, i don’t really race for anyone and don’t wear any club colours etc but am hoping to do all remaining races this year as my MTN bike days are going to be few and far between as just became a father and have managed to wangle a day pass for when ever there is a race+the GF can come along with the boy too, weather permitting as quite a good social side to these CX events, what about you Sefton, where are you? and do you race for anyone?

sefton
    Free Member

only just got into them this season, dont race for anyone at the moment. I got a young family too so cant get to all the races (but not done too bad lately) – you on twitter mate?

did you race the skipton Rapha?

bones76
    Free Member

I have a twitter account but not used it yet and no i didn’t do the Skipton Rapha, have not heard of it to be honest. My first race went OK considering started at the back, liverpool went much better thought the course suited me though i bust my wheel going through that section were there was a stone/rock to the left of the line i should have taken(forced off line) which in return meant i had to bring HT into action yesterday but that was such a mistake as just couldn’t get going through the mud and it got worse as race went on but i still finished and came away with no damage to bike!

crazy-legs

whats the best mech for mud?

The cheapest!
    Personally, I’d not go higher than Tiagra – it all works the same when the bike has an extra 10lb of mud round it.

I’ve seen riders wreck both their bikes in heavy mud, mechs ripped off, chain tangled. A bill of several hundred ££ if you’ve got top end mechs.

rp16v
    Free Member

would putting a mtb mech with a wider cage allow for less build up also may be abit stronger?

Rorschach
    Free Member

not really no.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘best rear mech for muddy cx race?’ is closed to new replies.