Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Best on the bike softshell / windstopper
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

Well the summers gone and the colder weather will soon be with us.

I’m after a decent softshell /windstopper jacket. I’ve got a rab vapourise which is ok

Doesn’t really cover you in a shower and i find the back rides up a lot – hasn’t really got a drop tail / inst bike specific

Anyone got any recommendations?

Was thinking perhaps a gore ELEMENT URBAN WINDSTOPPER® Soft Shell

Anything better out there?

Cheers

aldo56
    Free Member

IMO windstopper is horrible stuff. It’s got a membrane in it which means it’s not breathable like a proper soft shell but the seams aren’t taped which means it’s also not waterproof. This leads to much sweating.

My jacket for winter riding is a Rab VR Lite Alpine plus a hardshell for when it gets too much for the VR alone. The VR lite stuff is great because its properly breathable and the lining wicks away sweat and makes you feel dry even if your soaking.

These are relating to climbing but are still a good read:

http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_world

http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/cut_the_crap1

dovebiker

I have a number of jackets made from Gore Windstopper Softshell, but getting something with pit-zips really help to adapt to varying conditions. Gore Fusion Tool is my fave winter MTB jacket – has 5 pockets, 2 zipped, pit zips and is surprisingly weather-resistant – takes a lot of rain to wet-through – taped seams on shoulders and don’t get the boil-in-the-bag effect of a hardshell.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Yes. Mine is the old style VR jacket. The Lite Alpine looks more waterproof

aldo56
    Free Member

It’s definately not waterproof! You can proof it so it is okay in showers though.

onewheelgood

My standard winter wear is one of these – https://www.foska.com/cycling-jackets/toastie/mens-toastie/
    My London Pride one is 10 year old or more and is still usable. I’ve got a newer Bones one which has a slightly better design, and also seems to be wearing well.

Del

i use a hagloffs boa. have a gore one and as aldo above, find it too sweaty, a little heavy, and only marginally more windproof than the boa. they are similar in wet weather. the boa has arms that can be pulled up above the elbows, breathes well, and stays warm. i just carry a montane featherlite smock and would put that over the top if it gets really rank, but haven’t needed to yet in about 3 years.

matt_outandabout

Don’t buy a Gore windstopper membrane. Sweaty, sweaty, sweaty.

I just bout a Patagonia softshell – most of the fabric is windstopper. 🙁

The best for a bike in my experience was my old Montane Dyno. Just windproof enough, light, Uber breathable and resistant to showers. Perfect 80% of the time when an extra layer was needed.

I’m going to sell the Patagucci and buy the new Stretch Dyno.

benp1

Just bought the Montane Stretch Dyno, although I plan to use it for walking rather than biking (so it doesn’t get covered in crap). Booked a trip to Geneva a couple of hours ago, will try it out in anger then. Discounted in Ellis Brigham in Covent Garden, and I had a voucher to spend so didn’t cost me much cash

Rab VR Alpine Lite is excellent, use this on the bike (but also for other stuff). Fantastically wicking/breathable, sweaty wreck on a climb, dry as anything not long after that. Love the cut on this

I have the Gore Phantom 2, which is windstopper, which I find OK to be honest. Used for commuting though so rarely sustained big efforts

Just bought an Altura Peleton Transformer softshell jacket, with removable sleeves. Haven’t tried it yet though, will be using it for off road stuff. Windproof front, roubaix style back.

I generally have walking specific stuff, and commuting/road riding stuff, and then mountain biking stuff. That’s in order of keeping things nice, might use MTB on a walk, but generally not walking stuff on a MTB.

Have quite a few other softshells but these ones are my most used or ones that I prefer

The DHB Moxie is cracking – cheap and good, if you can find one [disclosure, I’m selling a medium one, but I’d recommend it either way]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Best on the bike softshell / windstopper’ is closed to new replies.