Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best grease
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Evening all, want to strip the bike and make sure it’s all clean and greased. But what’s the best grease, especially for bb and free hub use. My mates dropped round some castrol grease but seems a bit sticky. No have some pedros bio grease will that be ok?

Cheers

Ash

sam2391
    Free Member

Different greases have different applications, Stendec is great for forks. Shimano Dura Ace is a good all purpose grease, its the luminous yellow stuff that comes on their components. The Shimano Anti Seize is a good grease for threads and BB shell. What hub have you got?

Big-Pete
    Free Member

I use Phil Wood for everything

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Rock n roll super web grease, best for bearings but good for everything

bigbloke
    Free Member

+1 Rock n Roll Superweb or Rock n Roll Super Slick

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use silkolene RG2. I’d like to use Mobil shc-ph 1500 but it’s about £950 for 50kg.

fasthaggis

I use marine grease.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Hope pro 2 evo hub. Whihc is full of their green grease.

But more around bb, as I feel that is needing a clean, sounds a bit gritty.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thought their green grease was blue. (mobil xhp 222)

sparkyrhino

The first 1, Olivia in black spandex hubba hubba

sam2391
    Free Member

What BB do you have more than likely you will need a new one if it sounds/feels gritty as you can really regrease them. Unless you mean sounds gritty as you thread it in?

gamo
    Free Member

Motorex is great.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Sam it’s I believe it’s just a bog standard all terra one. Nothing fancy at all, was kinda hoping I wouldn’t need to reach but when cleaning and spinning the pedals it sounds a bit gritty.

legend
    Free Member

have some pedros bio grease will that be ok?

I’m just finishing a tube of that just now – it’s a bit cr@p. Should’ve figured from the hippy name, but it just doesn’t seem to survive any length of time.

JoeG
    Free Member

I use Park Polylube. As I’ve said on other threads, I mainly use it because it is easy to get (LBS or online) and the squeeze tube is very convenient. I don’t think that most bike applications are demanding enough (no high temperatures or high speed involved) that most greases won’t work.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

A little known grease called ZX1.

tis the best.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

It appears I have a SRAM gpx bb, I have heard bad things about these. Also I have a SRAM octalink crankset is that going to cause me issues?

ds3000
    Free Member

I use this for most greasing purposes, it wreaks but seems greasy enough.

I put the following on things that creak and seize.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’ve been packing my BBs, headsets and hub bearings full of Castrol waterpump grease for a year or so now.

I’ve also used it in Pro 2 freehubs to good effect. The trick there is to use only the bare minimum amount to coat the springs and pawls.

It’s thick and draggy but it is definately waterproof and it stays where you put it!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Actually, mountain bike grease is a pretty demanding application due to the low speed and high level of contamination.

In theory, the nearest industrial application is paper handling equipment which is what the Mobil shp 1500 is for but it’s a bit expensive.

Northwind

Silkolene RG2 here… It’s like bike blood :mrgreen: Stays where it’s put, doesn’t wash or wipe off too easily. Might be too sticky for some locations though.

Oh and pit stop grease for suspension parts, and some no-name antiseize I got years ago for stuff that might not be coming back out for a long time.

Oh and lastly Slick Honey for the dropper post. Could probably use Pitstop tbh but this is what the manual asks for.

somafunk

We’ve got a cylinder of military waterproof grease in the workshop, bright red and so **** sticky you just need to glance at the tub to get covered in the stuff, brilliant for headsets and for packing bearings but very thick, almost like treacle.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is it Castrol CL grease?

I used to use that on my bearings, it seemed to break down much less than the recommended bike greases at the time when I was riding a lot during the winter in all sorts of mud and mashed up bridleways.

I think they use it for marine engines, like outboards.

irelanst
    Free Member

I use pro boat marine grease because it’s cheap. It’s formulated for greasing marine outboards running at 1000’s of RPM in sandy, salty sea water, It seems to manage fine on a push bike.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Duckhams Keenol white waterproof grease.
    As recommended by Dave Brailsfords dad!
    I have a small oil and grease plant in the woods by m, Forest Lubricants, now owned by Penrite. They do a super heavy waterpoof grease that feels like solid porridge. Heavy enough to feel its existance in hubs but after a few miles it settles down and lasts for ever.

smiff
    Free Member

yes Rock n Roll Superweb, once you’ve used this, nothing else is white or stringy enough 🙂

btw Hope grease is blue, and appears to be JCB grease. don’t ask how i know :p so that’s what i use for topping up Hope stuff..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best grease’ is closed to new replies.