• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best fish and chips close-ish to Dalbeattie?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Off to Dalbeattie on saturday and I haven’t had a fish supper in who knows how long. To avoid disappointment can anybody recommend a good chippy?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Come on! Surely someone in Dumfries and Galloway likes a good fish supper?!

forge197
    Free Member

I do but not in Dalbeatiie, chip shop bottom of Castle Douglas high street near the closed petrol station, does nice fish and chips, as does the chippy a little further up on the left who’s name of both escapes me

Cougar

There’s an “award winning” chippie in Kirkudbright next to the harbour, if that’s any help. Can’t remember the name – Google it?

We went a couple of times when we were in Dalbeattie earlier this year. They were decent (but I live in Lancashire so I’m spoiled for chip shops).

plumber
    Free Member

I’ve certainly had fish n chips in Dalbeattie town. Cant remember if it was ok but must not have been crap

about 5 years ago

twinklydave

Polarbites in Kirkcudbright. Very nice. 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be in Dalbeattie itself. I don’t do it often so I’m happy to drive for quality. I will google the award winner then, thank you chaps. 🙂

falkirk-mark

There is a chippy in the town centre that is good its straight across from the chinese (I think its the only one in the town)

Trekster

my experience of the Dalbeattie chippy has been a bit disappointing, maybe just got them at a bad time.

Best chippy in Dumfries is at Lochside just off the A76 opposite McDs, best time is around 5-6.30 when there are cue is out the door and bigger than McDs ❗

2nd is Georges in StMichaels St

3rd is Brunos, Balmoral Rd off Annan Rd.

4= are the 2 in Dfs town centre but they close early.

+1 for forges recommendations, the one down at the closed petrol station is good

boxelder

K’bright is a long way for chips! Dumfries if travelling from the south – eaten on a bench by the Nith.

Trekster

boxelder – Member
    K’bright is a long way for chips! Dumfries if travelling from the south – eaten on a bench by the Nith.

Only by seagulls and the local riffraf

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

“They were decent (but I live in Lancashire so I’m spoiled for chip shops)”

I used to go to a cracker in Lancs but could never figure out why they shut on a Sunday. There’d be a riot in Scotland if that caught on.

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Two carry outs, both on high street within town centre.

Here to do Mabie, Dalbeattie amd Ae tomorrow.

Nick

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Cafe Royal in Annan does the best fish suppers in D&G. 15 miles west of Dumfries though.

Trekster

+1 SBZ but it is nowhere near Dalbeattie 😉
    Lochside chippy runs it close tho…
    +1 forge

Nick……. there is a ride-out at Mabie 6pm on Fri night. It is a leaving do for the shop mech, you might be able to gatecrash if you like, get to ride some of the “secrets”. Will cost you a fiver and bring your own booze for the bbq after ride party 😆 Call the shop and let Jemma know if you fancy it 😉

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Had a lovely continental thin base pizza from the indian takeaway.

Trekster,

Thanks for the invite, I had one night at kippford campsite. We then did dalbeattie and a food break in the cool shed, excellent lake grda style latte. We then struggled round mabie. Both reds.

We struggled as we were knacked.

It was warm too.

Dalbeattie had a lovely variety of trail surfaces and was full of rocky goodness.

Mabie, we did after, was narrow good singletrack but boring in comparison.

Alp dhuez, deux alpes and les houches was not good training in july !

nbt

If yo;re getting them on the way home south then go via Moffat, we had some fantastic fish & chips from the place on the main street following a visit to Innerleithern

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best fish and chips close-ish to Dalbeattie?’ is closed to new replies.